PDA

View Full Version : Plywood storage racks

Neville Stewart
05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I was thinking I could use the commercial type shelf racks to make ply/MDF storage in my shop. I'm not sure if they come in 8 1/2' lengths as I would like to keep it to a footprint of the size of a sheet. If I recall they are longer than that, but I wonder if I could cut them to size & weld the horizontal beams back together again. I probably would have about 20 sheets of ply, mdf on hand at max. & stored on 3 levels. I've installed a rail system in front of where I will place the rack with a winch to lift & slide towards a cnc tble. Any thoughts? tx Dubliner

Dewey Torres
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Wood Magazine has the plans for PICS the below:

And here is another from wood Magazine... I am sure there are tons others but these were fresh on my mind.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/shop-organization/roll-around-plywood-cart/

I actually built the tall plywood storage one and it is Great!

Dewey

Ben Cadotte
05-27-2008, 9:49 AM
The tall one would be nice, but ceiling would be too low for me to move it around (8' 2" ceiling). I was stacking vertically but noticed some bow setting into a couple pieces. So I now have them on long edge. I have the room for a long rolling cart. Maybe I could make one like the tall version just 4' tall though. Hmmmm.

Good links, thanks.

David G Baker
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I use scaffolding to store my sheet goods. I put 6 ea 2x4 studs on edge, fasten a 1x4 on each end to keep the studs from moving. I put the smaller sheet goods on the steps. No bowing and easy to get at. The scaffolding takes up some floor space but works great and if I add wheels I can move it around my shop.