PDA

View Full Version : Sommerfelds quality

Craig D Peltier
05-26-2008, 7:02 PM
Hi, anyone know any comparisons of sommerfelds bits verse others?
Is it like amana, whiteside or like rockler or like Harbor freight?

I would like to buy there 4 inch mitered frame bit. It cuts a 3 inch stock. Good for mitered doors. Its $90.

Also anyone else know of a bit like this? Specifically for doors with panels.
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=01010

THX

Richard Wolf
05-26-2008, 7:22 PM
I did see those bits in someone else's catalog, but you should be happy with the quality of Sommerfeld's. They are of very good quality.

Richard

Jeff Wright
05-26-2008, 8:54 PM
I've been very pleased with Sommerfeld bits. I also own Infinity, Freud and Amanda bits. I would buy more Sommerfeld bits.

I have no connection with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

Charles Lent
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I have several of Sommerfelds bits as well as bits from Freud, CMT, Whiteside, Woodline, and many other companies. I would rank Sommerfelds right up there with Freud, CMT and the other respected bit manufacturers. I've had no trouble with them, and I especially like Sommerfelds bit design that puts matching bit sets at the same height so you don't have to adjust the router height when changing bits. His new bit height gauge is a great idea too. So good in fact that Freud is now offering a red copy for setting the height of their bits. I now have both.

Charley

fred woltersdorf
05-30-2008, 11:40 AM
i just bought that bit but haven't used it yet. my first impression is that it is a quality bit.

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I have to admit that I was dissapointed that Marc Sommerfeld stopped selling the CMT line (most of my bits are CMT but have since purchased Whiteside...so far, so good) and I did not go back to him to purchase anything since. It is good to hear you folks like his bits, I may have to take a gander in the future.

Dave Bureau
05-30-2008, 1:01 PM
i have several sets of sommerfeld bits. they are quality bits
Dave

Brad Schmid
05-30-2008, 1:20 PM
i have several sets of sommerfeld bits. they are quality bits
Dave

Ditto. I just ran 150 linear feet using the Sommerfeld lock miter bit on 3/4" MDO plywood with very good results. I have 3 or 4 of their sets and all have been great. I rank them right up there with the Freud, CMT, Whiteside bits/sets I have.