PDA

View Full Version : What size K-body clamps should I buy?

Jason White
05-26-2008, 5:35 PM
Since Lowe's is blowing out their inventories of 24", 40" & 50" Bessey K-body clamps, I've been picking up a few on sale. I think I've got an even dozen now.

So far, these are the only sizes of K-bodies that I have in my shop as I'm still relatively new to woodworking. Are there other sizes I should be considering (especially given the current price reductions)?

Jason

Tom Henderson2
05-26-2008, 6:09 PM
Hi Jason-

I'm a newb so don't know much; take these comments with a few grains of salt.

I'd suggest making your clamp (and tool) acquisitions project-based. Consider the nect two or three projects your are committed to doing, decide what you need to complete those projets, and buy accordingly.

My $0.02

-Tom H.

Jason White
05-26-2008, 6:22 PM
Generally, that is how I make my tool purchases.

However, the Bessey K-bodies are being discontinued (the current models) and they are on sale all over the place -- for $10-20 off the price of each. We're talking major savings here for those of us who are looking to stock up.

My experience with clamps is that you never really know which ones you need until you need them. That said, I'm wondering from those with a lot of them (K-bodies in particular) which ones they use the most.

Jason

Hi Jason-

I'm a newb so don't know much; take these comments with a few grains of salt.

I'd suggest making your clamp (and tool) acquisitions project-based. Consider the nect two or three projects your are committed to doing, decide what you need to complete those projets, and buy accordingly.

My $0.02

-Tom H.

Jim McFarland
05-26-2008, 7:06 PM
I have several from 12" to 98" and definitely use the shortest the most -- 12"ers on most every project. If Lowe's doesn't have the 12's, I'd recommend the 24's. Most of what I do is small scale so your needs may vary.

Russell Tribby
05-26-2008, 7:21 PM
Just a head's up. If you take your newest Woodcraft ad into Lowe's they'll beat the price by 10%. I did that this morning and used a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon. You'll end up getting another coupon after that as well.

Jim Becker
05-26-2008, 7:24 PM
I use the 24" the most with the 40" (and a few 32") right behind.

Jason White
05-27-2008, 1:10 PM
Anybody find the 50" or 60" especially useful?

Jason

I use the 24" the most with the 40" (and a few 32") right behind.

Mark Kosmowski
05-27-2008, 1:16 PM
I suspect that the longer clamps are in the category of you don't need one until you really need one. That's how they are at my place. The longest guys sit on the storage rack while I end up wishing I had even longer clamps (my longest clamps are only 48" now).

Joe Scharle
05-27-2008, 1:18 PM
I suggest at least 4 24" and a set of stands for drawers.

Mike Henderson
05-27-2008, 1:19 PM
I have several from 12" to 98" and definitely use the shortest the most -- 12"ers on most every project. If Lowe's doesn't have the 12's, I'd recommend the 24's. Most of what I do is small scale so your needs may vary.
I agree. I use my 12" the most, then my 24". The others are used less often.

Mike

tom holton
05-27-2008, 2:04 PM
Just a head's up. If you take your newest Woodcraft ad into Lowe's they'll beat the price by 10%. I did that this morning and used a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon. You'll end up getting another coupon after that as well.

Which ad are you talking about? Did you print the WoodCraft prices off the internet, or do you have a paper ad?

Thanks,

Tom

Randal Stevenson
05-27-2008, 2:37 PM
Which ad are you talking about? Did you print the WoodCraft prices off the internet, or do you have a paper ad?

Thanks,

Tom

Got home about an hour ago, and there was the newest Woodcraft ad in the mailbox. Bessey clamp blowout on the cover.

Will try it, but since Woodcraft is about an hours drive from here, and Lowe's is in a high rent area (14 minutes drive), they don't always pricematch someone they think/state, aren't a competitor.

Charlie Plesums
05-27-2008, 2:59 PM
Since Lowe's is blowing out their inventories of 24", 40" & 50" Bessey K-body clamps, I've been picking up a few on sale. I think I've got an even dozen now.

So far, these are the only sizes of K-bodies that I have in my shop as I'm still relatively new to woodworking. Are there other sizes I should be considering (especially given the current price reductions)?

Jason
I have 8-24 inch, 2-40 inch, and 4-50 inch Besseys, and (heresy coming - sit down) don't have any desire for more. Yes, I said it. I have enough clamps.

I use the 24s most, but after a few doors or drawers are glued up, the clamps on the first can be moved to the next - the glue takes a day or more to reach full strength, but the clamps can come off in an hour or two.

I got the 40s when I needed something to supplement my two 50s, and the local stores were out of 50s.

I have a pipe clamp longer than 50 inches that I use a couple times per year (making a bed, for example), but I also sometmes just put two Bessey's together, one jaw pulling on the jaw of another clamp, when I need a larger clamp.

glenn bradley
05-27-2008, 4:07 PM
I use the 24" and 31" the most. I have a pair of 40" and a pair of 50" that get used seldom. Generally if I am clamping something that big, pipe clamps do the job. I picked up a dozen Jorgie 3/4" sets for about $100 from Hartville but, I love my Besseys.

Joe Spear
05-27-2008, 4:14 PM
Remember that Bessey has the clamp extender that can hold two clamps together and make longer clamps if you occasionally need some really long ones.

Frank Drew
05-27-2008, 5:09 PM
I think, in general, longer clamps will prove more useful over time than shorter ones; you can still clamp up 24" material with a 40 incher, but not the other way around.

An interesting feature of one model of the new Bessey Revo clamps coming out soon is that you can free the head to slide along the bar in order to even out how much bar is sticking out at each end.

At least Bessy's thinking; some of the other clamp manufacturers haven't changed a thing for the better in the last thirty or forty years.

Mike Henderson
05-27-2008, 6:16 PM
I think, in general, longer clamps will prove more useful over time than shorter ones; you can still clamp up 24" material with a 40 incher, but not the other way around.
When I started woodworking, I bought long clamps based on that theory. It works, but it's a pain clamping something small with really long clamps - and the clamp up takes a lot of room in the shop. After I could afford to buy the shorter clamps the longer ones got a lot less usage.

I still think that when you're starting and on a budget, it's a good approach. But it's a pain.

Mike

Mark Kosmowski
05-27-2008, 6:39 PM
I have 8-24 inch, 2-40 inch, and 4-50 inch Besseys, and (heresy coming - sit down) don't have any desire for more. Yes, I said it. I have enough clamps.

I have a pipe clamp longer than 50 inches that I use a couple times per year (making a bed, for example), but I also sometmes just put two Bessey's together, one jaw pulling on the jaw of another clamp, when I need a larger clamp.

I didn't know this was possible! Is having enough routers next? Handplanes? <gasp> Wood? :eek: :D

Actually, that sounds like a very reasonable collection for a hobbyist, especially with 2 - 4 adjustable length clamps (i.e. pipe). It'd be hard to go wrong using that collection as a startup goal and only buy more when needed for project(s).

Thanks for convincing me, at least, that there may be an end to this particular madness. :)

Cliff Polubinsky
05-27-2008, 7:51 PM
Generally, that is how I make my tool purchases.

However, the Bessey K-bodies are being discontinued (the current models) and they are on sale all over the place -- for $10-20 off the price of each. We're talking major savings here for those of us who are looking to stock up.

My experience with clamps is that you never really know which ones you need until you need them. That said, I'm wondering from those with a lot of them (K-bodies in particular) which ones they use the most.

Jason
Jason,

I have 4-40", 8-24" and 8-12". I use the 12" the most, followed by the 24". When I need something longer than 40" I have 4 of the clamp extenders to combine a 40" with a 12" or 24". Never needed anything longer than that. And with just a 1 car shop I doubt I could ever use anything longer.

Cliff

John Thompson
05-27-2008, 8:15 PM
6 48".. 8 30".. in Cabinet-masters.. 12 24" Quick clamps.. about 16 Jorgenson bars from 12" to 24" 4 60" pipe 4 72" with a couple of pipe extenters on hand. I use the 30" for shorter and the longs come in handy if you do beds.

Just a collection that came from one here.. one there when needed. About 3 weeks ago I had a work-bench top.. TV stand top.. sides and shelfs working at once. About 36 assorted clamps at once and could have used more 30".

How many clamps are enough.. No matter how many you have, you always come up one short. Always! :)

Sarge..

Gary Herrmann
05-27-2008, 9:23 PM
I didn't know this was possible! Is having enough routers next? Handplanes? <gasp> Wood? :eek: :D

Actually, that sounds like a very reasonable collection for a hobbyist, especially with 2 - 4 adjustable length clamps (i.e. pipe). It'd be hard to go wrong using that collection as a startup goal and only buy more when needed for project(s).

Thanks for convincing me, at least, that there may be an end to this particular madness. :)

Mark, ask Charlie about that big ol' Minimax combo he has. A woodworker can't have or need everything. Or can he or she... ;)

I'd love to have a combo machine, but it was hard enough to get an 8" jointer down to the basement.

To get back on track, I've consistently used my 24s more than any other size for most projects.

glenn bradley
05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
But it's a pain.

I agree with Mike but would add that with your current collection I would pass on the pain. Clamping 14" x 23" doors with 40" clamps is a circus and prone to control problems IMHO.

Brent Smith
05-28-2008, 6:16 AM
Hi Jason,

I have a dozen of each size and still end up short from time to time. My most frequently used clamps are the 12 and 24". When I need more, and have to use longer clamps than needed, it becomes a logistic problem. Never mind the extra weight the longer clamps add, but just getting around the project during glue up can be hazardous. I've jabbed myself in the side more than once on bars that are sticking out far more than is needed. If I were buying for myself I'd go with at least 6 of each 12", 24" and 40". Anything longer you can buy as needed.

Charlie Plesums
05-28-2008, 7:05 AM

Actually, that sounds like a very reasonable collection for a hobbyist, especially with 2 - 4 adjustable length clamps (i.e. pipe). ..(snip)... :)

I only had about half that collection of clamps when I was a hobbyist (4, 2, 2 rather than 8, 2, 4). If a pro is someone who does woodworking to feed his family, I am not a pro, but I retired and now spend time in the shop every day making stuff for sale.

More heresy... I only bought my "second" router when the first died in mid-project a few months ago, and the first router had to spend a month in the hospital.

Mark, ask Charlie about that big ol' Minimax combo he has. A woodworker can't have or need everything. Or can he or she... ;)

I'd love to have a combo machine, but it was hard enough to get an 8" jointer down to the basement.

I have been caught! Now if those emails that promise to add 4 inches to your tool could be forwarded to the 16 inch jointer on my combo, 20 inches would really be nice, and I bet it would still fit in the garage!

Scott Vigder
05-28-2008, 7:17 AM
Counting clamps...what fun! Can we do routers next?

My shop's current Bessey K-Body inventory comprises 6 - 24" 4- 40" 4- 50" and thanks to some Amazon ridiculously low prices I now have 6 - 82". I also have about 18 small and medium-sized pipe clamps I aquired at auctions that are occassionally used.

I build larger tables, bookcases and desks, so the 82" clamps are used nearly as much as the smaller ones: therefore they were a great investment for me. Be warned, they are heavy and a bit clumsy to use. I built a torsion box for final assembly of large pieces so I know I have a flat reference when glueing.

Watch for neighborhood auctions...I've found some great deals on used equipment and clamps for a fraction of the retail price. The key to buying at auction is to know the real price of an item.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Paul Johnstone
05-28-2008, 9:35 AM

An interesting feature of one model of the new Bessey Revo clamps coming out soon is that you can free the head to slide along the bar in order to even out how much bar is sticking out at each end.

At least Bessy's thinking; some of the other clamp manufacturers haven't changed a thing for the better in the last thirty or forty years.

That's true.. however, if you try to glue up something that is only 12" with a 50" Bessey, you have a long pole sticking out which makes it difficult to reach in and turn the handle to tighten it.

I'd recommend that the OP start off with a ratio like this:
2 to 4 24"
1 31" or 40"

Repeat until you run out of money. :)

Most drawer fronts and door panels are less than 24". Most shelves/cabinets are 24" deep or less..

Frank Drew
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
True, but that leaves table bases, table tops, passage doors, etc.

The kind of work you do will determine the kind of clamps you need; as several others have noted, you never have enough, no matter what. I've certainly had glueups where it seemed I used every clamp in the shop, and I had a lot of clamps.

"Repeat until you run out of money. :)" No doubt about that; add up the cost of all your clamps and there's a piece of machinery.

Dan Lautner
05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
"I agree with Mike but would add that with your current collection I would pass on the pain. Clamping 14" x 23" doors with 40" clamps is a circus and prone to control problems IMHO."

That's why I would wait for the new Bessys. They seem to solve the balancing problem with longer clamps.

Dan

Matt Meiser
05-29-2008, 7:06 AM
Lots of good advise, but the correct answer is "Yes" :D

Seriously I use 24's the most (I think I have 10) and still occasionally run out. I use the 32's and 40's about equally--I'm not even sure that having 4 of each is better than having 8 40's. I also have 2 60's which are used infrequently, but two aren't enough when I do need them.

I'd really like to get some 12's, and I think 4 would be the absolute minimum quantity to buy.

As Dan mentioned they don't balance when use use too long of a clamp with the heads too close together, but the newer ones with the black clip at the tail end are better. I have 4 of those in 24" and wish the rest were that style as they also have the benefit that the heads don't stick in the full-open position. I haven't seen the very latest style until just now.

Paul Johnstone
05-29-2008, 9:16 AM
"I agree with Mike but would add that with your current collection I would pass on the pain. Clamping 14" x 23" doors with 40" clamps is a circus and prone to control problems IMHO."

That's why I would wait for the new Bessys. They seem to solve the balancing problem with longer clamps.

Dan

Thanks for the picture Dan.. What a great idea they had to be able to move both ends of the clamp. I'm surprised no one else thought of that before now.. Of course, all great ideas are obvious once they are implemented..

Larry Fox
05-29-2008, 9:47 AM
When I started woodworking, I bought long clamps based on that theory. It works, but it's a pain clamping something small with really long clamps - and the clamp up takes a lot of room in the shop. After I could afford to buy the shorter clamps the longer ones got a lot less usage.

I still think that when you're starting and on a budget, it's a good approach. But it's a pain.

Mike

I couldn't agree more here. My first K-body purchase was 8 50" ones and they are brutally heavy for those small clamping jobs. Most of what I do can be easily accomodated by the 12" and 24" ones. I have some 31" ones as well - then there are the 50" ones there in the rack that get more dust than use. :)

Peter Quinn
05-29-2008, 6:45 PM
I use the 24" the most, and have the most of them. But I am most thankful for the 50"' I have. For the work I do now having a handful of 50" really helps me out.

I guess the right size and number should be calculated to your work, your methods, your budget and your volume...your shop basically. I go for the shortest clamp that can get the job done on any given project.

In the door shop where I worked we had a few 98" Jorgie I-beams that were in constant use, and a wall of 36"-48" I-beams that rarely made it back to their clamp racks. In my own small shop those would just be in my way.

Don L Johnson
05-29-2008, 7:56 PM
I took someone's advice. I got the Woodcraft flyer in the mail yesterday. Called a couple of Lowe's today, and bought 4 at each one (24 inchers). With the 10% reduction and price match, I essentially purchased 8 camps at Lowes for what it would have cost me to buy 7 at the Woodcraft sale. Thanks for the advice.

Jay Yoder
05-29-2008, 9:25 PM
After reading all this, now i am wondering if i should not have bought the 3 sets of 24x40 jet kits and bought some 12" clamps...how often is the extra strength of the k bodies needed vs the uniclamp? i have caviar tastes, but pb&j budget...

Jim Becker
05-30-2008, 8:24 AM
Jay, the Uniclamps are nice, but they are pretty much "dressed up" F clamps. They do not have the true parallel design that the K-Body and similar clamps have. I have a few of the Uniclamps and like them, but they are much lighter duty than the parallel clamps from Bessey, Jet, Jorgenson, etc.

Your point about the kits is a good one. A good quantity of my K-Body stable was build using the kits with 24" and 40" clamps when they went on sale from time to time. I would really like to get some of the 12" K-Bodies as there have been a number of times I would have liked the extra "oomph" they provide without a long piece of metal bar sticking out and waiting to crack my skull open. Unfortunately, the 12" version has never gone on sale at an "attractive" price that I've seen. Even with the close-out on the current design, I haven't seen any real movement on the 12" price...so far.

Tim Lynch
05-30-2008, 9:10 AM
Jim,

Some folks here have said that the Pittsburg knockoff is a decent clamp. I haven't tried them myself, but noticed the other day the 12" clamps were on sale for $15.99, FWIW:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93876

Paul Johnstone
05-30-2008, 3:24 PM
After reading all this, now i am wondering if i should not have bought the 3 sets of 24x40 jet kits and bought some 12" clamps...how often is the extra strength of the k bodies needed vs the uniclamp? i have caviar tastes, but pb&j budget...

IMO, 12" are not needed until you have a full complement of other sizes.
I have about 55-60 K bodies. (Ask your wife for them for every birthday, christmas, whatever) No 12" long and I've never felt the need to get any.