PDA

View Full Version : Vaughan & Bushnell Plane Question and pix

Mike Henderson
05-26-2008, 5:18 PM
I've been looking for a fairly long plane with a smooth bottom for shooting veneer. Of course, since there's so many, I wanted to get an unusual one.

I found this Vaughan & Bushnell size 6 (probably a 706 - a lot of the 900 series has the grey Japannening and this one is black). I'm one of those people who try to make a plane look like new, so I did a lot to this one. See before and after pixs. I made a new walnut tote for the plane because the threaded hole for the rod was drilled at the wrong angle in the body. So when the standard tote was installed, it bent the rod at the body. Note how the location of the hole in the top of the tote is moved back. I'll make and new knob, also, but haven't done so yet.

I like the V&B planes because they have the early Bedrock frog mounting and also have a steel body instead of cast iron. So if you drop it, the body won't crack.

Now, my question. Both the 700 series and the 900 series V&B planes have the steel body but my experience is that the 900 series was better made. Based on a small sample, I've had manufacturing problems with my 700 series planes but not with my 900 series planes.

Does anyone know who made the 700 and 900 series planes for V&B? Or did V&B make them themselves?

Mike

Mike Henderson
05-26-2008, 5:20 PM
A couple of more pictures.

Mike

Archie England
05-26-2008, 5:35 PM
With restoration work as beautiful as this...who cares.

Dunno the answer to your question; but, your work speaks loudly!

Great restoration.

BTW, I read "somewhere" that there was terrible inconsistency in the V&B plans, at all levels. That's the rub--third party hearsay. If your plane has little slop, seats well, and is relatively fettled, then it should work like a charm.

Greg Drozdowski
05-26-2008, 5:37 PM
Hi Mike,
When i was selling one on ebay i got a message from one of the bushnell grand kids saying they made them. Previous to that i thought stanley did.

Greg

Phillip Pattee
05-26-2008, 8:43 PM
Mike,
I don't know much about V&B planes. Because of some of your posts, however, I've begun to nose around for some and would like to try one out. There just doesn't seem to be a data base on them the way there is for Stanley's or Miller Falls.

Your refurb looks nice. What did you use to "re-japan" your plane? Is that black engine enamel?

Mike Henderson
05-26-2008, 9:07 PM
Mike,
I don't know much about V&B planes. Because of some of your posts, however, I've begun to nose around for some and would like to try one out. There just doesn't seem to be a data base on them the way there is for Stanley's or Miller Falls.

Your refurb looks nice. What did you use to "re-japan" your plane? Is that black engine enamel?
The removal of rust was complements of the magic of a deburring wheel. I didn't do anything on the Japannening except clean it with lacquer thinner. Just to make it look better in the picture, I rubbed it with mineral oil - but that's not permanent. It's in pretty good shape, however.

I almost hated to post about a V&B plane because they're getting expensive - and telling more people about them won't help the price. But I have enough planes already:)

Mike

Johnny Kleso
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure which is better other than they have a Bedrock like design but not even Stanley made their own castings.. They when made by two Foundry's one started with a S and the other a B and on the early planes they have a letter sact into the lever caps and frogs and bodies..

-------------------------
Hoorar! to my friend Freddy Williams KIA Vietnam
http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/hunter.jpg
The Same Old Grind

Joseph D'Orazio
12-03-2010, 3:29 PM
I know this is an old post but I want to ask you if you still enjoyed this plane and would you do anything different or improve upon it in any way?

Mike Henderson
12-03-2010, 8:34 PM
I replaced the blade with a LN blade but that's the only change I made. I have several #5 size planes now and mostly use a 605. But the V&B still gets used a bit.

Mike

Joseph D'Orazio
12-03-2010, 8:36 PM
I replaced the blade with a LN blade but that's the only change I made. I have several #5 size planes now and mostly use a 605. But the V&B still gets used a bit.

Mike
Thank You Sir.