PDA

View Full Version : Go get it or let it pass?

Gary Kvasnicka
05-26-2008, 5:16 PM
I found a three year old Nova DVR not a XP for sale. It's about a 6 hour drive each way or about $150 gas round trip. Asking price $1450 which includes outboard tool rest attachment and bed extension.

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Burt Alcantara
05-26-2008, 6:03 PM
Pass.
For that price you could get a Jet 1642 which would give you more bang for the buck.

Disclosure: I own a Nova 1624 so I'm not biased one way or the other, no pun intended.

Burt

Don McIvor
05-26-2008, 6:13 PM
I own a DVR that's about the same age and I have only good things to say about it. The features are not the same as the Jet 1642. I've found the rotating head stock to be a very handy feature. Also, I'd love to have the outrigger, which adds about another $300 to the cost of the machine. So, figure the seller paid about $2300 for the unit and three years later he wants $1450. Probably a fair price, maybe just a touch high, in my estimation. If he'd include a Nova chuck in the deal (mine came with the SN2) it be worth the drive. The $150 in gas sure figures in the equation these days!

Good luck, and be sure to post a picture with your new acquisition.;)

Don

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I am like Don. I have the Nova DVR XP for 2 yrs now and have nothing bad to say about it either. I agree with Don on the rotating headstock. I paid around $2500 for mine with the outboard rig and bed extension.

Gary Kvasnicka
05-27-2008, 5:57 PM
Thanks for the responses, I have some things to consider. I am pretty sure if it was this side of Washington DC(within 2 hours), and $200 less it would be in my shop right now.
One of these days I need to learn to take an acceptable photo of the stuff that comes off of my little Rikon, and find out if anyone here thinks I should keep wasting my money on these turning toys:rolleyes:.

Thanks,
Gary