PDA

View Full Version : Mega Circular saw gloat

Shawn Honeychurch
05-26-2008, 2:03 PM
Got this at a yard sale this weekend for $10.

Weights about 3 times what my B&D circular saw weighs, and cuts through an old 4x8, with the blade fully down like a hot knife through butter. Bloody loud though, even with ear covers it is deafening.

The only problem, is that the bade arbor hole is square, and I do not mean trapezoid, I mean square. Where the heck to I find new blades for this?

89343 89342 89344

89345 89346

David Sallee
05-26-2008, 2:08 PM
Another nice find... seems like the "older" ones are built like they were meant to last forever! ( and most will! ) As far as the square arbor? I've never seen one before so I can't help ya there.....

Dave

Alan Schaffter
05-26-2008, 2:31 PM
Can it be filed could a machine shop do it or make one that will fit today's blades? Or remove and replace it with one designed for today's?

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2008, 2:35 PM
"...the bade arbor hole is square..."

Oooo.... That's gonna be a tough one. There's scant information available but here's a few links with a bit of info about Mall Tool Co:

http://owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1183

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e0907b6f21530f0988256b4000162c5b/33358d84d62b0a6088256b41001af0f1?OpenDocument

I have never actually seen a blade with a square arbor hole. It sounds to me like you're in for a trip to the machine shop. You can probably get a blade with a round arbor hole modded but no telling what it will cost. You may just have a great conversation piece there....

PS: I could not help but notice the lack of a lower blade guard on that saw. If you do manage to get a blade onto it, BE CAREFUL!!!!

Shawn Honeychurch
05-26-2008, 2:46 PM
Thanks for the info David, and yup, no lower blade guard. It did come with a blade, and it does work well, very, very powerful.

Joe Jensen
05-26-2008, 4:35 PM
Forrest Manufacturing may be able to put a square hole in a blade for you...joe

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2008, 4:40 PM
"It did come with a blade..."

Wow.... carbide tipped no less!

Shawn Honeychurch
05-26-2008, 4:43 PM
"It did come with a blade..."

Wow.... carbide tipped no less!

And despite the age, wear and neglect, it cuts very well, very powerful, makes my B&D circular saw feel like a kids toy.

Vince Shriver
05-26-2008, 5:04 PM
Wow, Mall - that's a name from the past. My dad had a Mall drill motor, and he thought very highly of it. Circa 40's and 50's.

Harley Reasons
05-26-2008, 5:12 PM
From the picture the blade was a Vermont American. They're still in business so an email to them might result in some help.
Otherwise, I would clean the existing blade and have it sharpened. The saw will make a nice display item and conversation piece.

I'd say ain't many of still around.

I zoomed in on the blade and it looks like it was a diamond hole that has been modified to fit the square hole.

Shawn Honeychurch
05-26-2008, 5:20 PM
F
I zoomed in on the blade and it looks like it was a diamond hole that has been modified to fit the square hole.

Hmm, I had not thought of that, but it's a very good point. I will also contact Vermont American.

Jason White
05-26-2008, 5:36 PM
I wonder if Freud or Forrest could make something custom for you?

Jason

Got this at a yard sale this weekend for $10.

Weights about 3 times what my B&D circular saw weighs, and cuts through an old 4x8, with the blade fully down like a hot knife through butter. Bloody loud though, even with ear covers it is deafening.

The only problem, is that the bade arbor hole is square, and I do not mean trapezoid, I mean square. Where the heck to I find new blades for this?

89343 89342 89344

89345 89346

Kyle Kraft
05-27-2008, 7:29 AM
My Dad had a Power-Kraft (Montgomery Wards possibly made by Mall) circular saw with the same square arbor. I disassembled the arbor from the saw and turned it down on the lathe using carbide tooling to 5/8" diameter. Worked like a champ.

Frank Drew
05-27-2008, 8:45 AM
That's a good suggestion, Kyle.

I'm with David, though, on the need to be ultra careful if the saw doesn't have a lower blade guard -- YIKES! I think, personally, I'd be very reluctant to put it in service without one (maybe it's just off for the pictures.)

Shawn Honeychurch
05-27-2008, 11:26 AM
That's a good suggestion, Kyle.

I'm with David, though, on the need to be ultra careful if the saw doesn't have a lower blade guard -- YIKES! I think, personally, I'd be very reluctant to put it in service without one (maybe it's just off for the pictures.)

Nope no blade guard, and no way to mount one, I don't think it ever had one, there is no way at all to mount it.

Mike SoRelle
05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, if you have any concrete to cut, it looks like the blades found here http://soff-kut.com/ will fit it, but those are absolutely the only square arbor blades I could find anywhere off the shelf.

Shawn Honeychurch
05-27-2008, 1:09 PM
Well, if you have any concrete to cut, it looks like the blades found here http://soff-kut.com/ will fit it, but those are absolutely the only square arbor blades I could find anywhere off the shelf.

Thanks Mike;

I had found those as well. I am going to check out some machine shops here pretty soon and see what is possible.

Curt Harms
05-27-2008, 5:58 PM
If I had that saw and could get a (cheap) blade with a round hole that would fit the square arbor snugly, I'd be inclined to give it a shot. You could also use a step drill to enlarge the hole on an off-the-shelf blade unless the plate is too hard for a step drill. All you'd be out if it didn't work is a (cheap) blade.

HTH

Curt