PDA

View Full Version : Small router gloat

Shawn Honeychurch
05-26-2008, 1:52 PM
Well got to a large yard sale over the weekend and walked away with 2 nice gloats. This is the first of them. Got it for $5.

Small B&D router. Not sure of the age or anything.
The labels are either gone or painted into oblivion, expect for noting that is is 22,000 rpm. It works great, gave it a little clean up and put in a bit and away it goes. I like the little height adjustment knob, may mount this into my router table when it is done.

89340 89341

David Sallee
05-26-2008, 2:03 PM
Nice find! Never know what you might find at these rummage sales... :)

Dave

Jim Becker
05-26-2008, 7:28 PM
Looks like a nice find. Given the orange, probably late 1970s or early 1980s...but I could be wrong about that.

That one will be better suited to hand-held work than in a table due to it's single speed design. And BTW, be sure you inspect the collet very carefully...make sure it grips securely. That's one potential safety issue with old routers that you don't know from your own use.

Shawn Honeychurch
05-26-2008, 7:34 PM
Looks like a nice find. Given the orange, probably late 1970s or early 1980s...but I could be wrong about that.

That one will be better suited to hand-held work than in a table due to it's single speed design. And BTW, be sure you inspect the collet very carefully...make sure it grips securely. That's one potential safety issue with old routers that you don't know from your own use.

Thanks for the tip about the collet Jim, I did have it all apart yesterday and it's in perfect shape except for the outside, I hope to find a pic of it so I can repaint it properly, or else, black and bronze colors will find there way onto it.

Bill Neely
05-27-2008, 2:43 AM
That's the predecessor to the DeWalt 610, I know they made them as far back as the 60's - maybe before that. Industrial quality.

lowell holmes
05-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I have my Father's 60's B&D and the 610 as well. I like them both.

Prashun Patel
05-27-2008, 12:41 PM
be sure you inspect the collet very carefully...make sure it grips securely. That's one potential safety issue with old routers that you don't know from your own use.

Here, here. This weekend I had the collet on my Bosch 1617 lose the bit in the middle of the cutting operation. It completely obliterated my cut and came scary close to flush triming my fingers into oblivion.