PDA

View Full Version : Laughing @ myself

Jerry Thompson
05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I hope this makes other woodworkers smile and remeber we are all human, no matter how much WW experience we have. I have some but not enough yet. I just had a "learning experience."
I am building a cross cut sled. I have already tossed one mistake into the "use later pile" e.g., scrap heap. I got the other piece of plywood cut and the miter slot dado cut and the runner installed. I got the runner adjusted and it was smooth as silk sliding back and forth. I just knew this was going to be a good one. Then I looked at the plan to proceed. I almost put a nail gun to my head, I had built it backwards! No amount of figuring could save it. The next one I made is OK. Now on to more fun with an old mind.
Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Jerry,

I have never done this..or anything like this..today! But I haven't been to the shop today ..yet....:D

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a local Ace Hardware store and bought something for a specific job I was doing in my shop. I don't rembember now what it was...the part or the job. I do remember putting the part on the kitchen table .....going to the shop.......start doing something....remembering the part .....walking from my shop to the house...and forgeting what I had come to the house for....5 times I made that trip...getting more frustrated each time....looking around the house trying to figure out what I'd come in for....It must be 35-40 feet from the shop to the house.....

As we age, we had better develop a sense of humor about our selves or we could end up living an awfully long time!:D

Jerry Thompson
05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I think I have found a method so I don't build thins backwards. I am going to use a mirror to veiw the drawings.
Jerry

Harley Reasons
05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Guess you guys are going to have to do like I do. When I'm in the shop and need to go into the house to retrieve something, I make a note in the palm of my hand with a ballpoint pen. Down here in the south we refer to that method as using our "Alabama Palm Pilot". :D

Dell Littlefield
05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
There must be a 5 syllable word to describe it but I just did exactly the same thing while making my latest crosscut sled. Fortunately, mine was recoverable. I still have a saw kerf in the front fence that doesn't line up with anything but the rest of it is functional.

If you have ever closely examined a Navaho rug, you will find they never make a perfectly symmetrical pattern. They believe that a perfect design would trap the bad spirits. The flaw leaves these spirits a place to escape. I don't have any bad spirits in any project I have ever done.

The trips in and out of the kitchen are a result of a change in the concept of the hereafter. For instance, when I was young, I used to ask my dates if they believed in the hereafter. When they asked why I was asking this, I told them,"If you are not hereafter what I am hereafter, you'll be hereafter I am gone.". Now I walk into the kitchen and think, "Now what am I hereafter?"

Glen Blanchard
05-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Then I looked at the plan to proceed. I almost put a nail gun to my head, I had built it backwards!

Jerry - You could have just turned your table saw around 180 degrees !! :D

Jerry Thompson
05-26-2008, 4:00 PM
I had another go at it. I thought I was doing ok until after I dadoed the runner bar slot and all did not look good. I then went to the wife. She can read prints and do equations in her head. She explained what neede to be done. So I have started over. I was wondering what I would do with all of the plywood left over after the project was completed. No I wonder if I will have to go get another sheet. The good things is I have found a bunch of stuff I wondered where it was and a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't know I had.
I'm just happy getting up in the morning and finding after my shower that nothing has fallen off.

Tim Morton
05-26-2008, 5:17 PM
want some company?? I decided today to tune up my bandsaw. I had some cool blocks laying around for awhile and a new blade on the shelf, and decided the basement was way cooler than the deck. So off with the old blades and on with the new plus the cool blocks. I aligned the blade and the guides and the blocks and set out to test her out....i got a bad cut and smelled burning wood. Scratching my head I thought maybe the blade was bad or something...

Well it was something alright, they put the blade together upside down;)

Flipping it inside out and putting it back on with the teeth pointing down it is now butter....i sure wish they would QC these blades better at the factory:D

Mark Engel
05-26-2008, 5:18 PM
Wait.

What was this thread about?

Oh, nevermind!

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2008, 5:30 PM
Your post makes me think about one time I was clamping up a china cabinet carcase. I had several bar clamps sticking out horizontally at "face level" and I turned around and walked right into them. I guess I somewhat loudly uttered several expletives (at least that's what my wife tells me) and bent over with my hands to my face. When the pain subsided, I stood up, turned around and walked my face right back into them again! This time the expletives could be heard at a much greater distance and I decided that I was done woodworking for the day.... I figured I would need some time to come up with a less embarrassing explanation for the condition of my face.

Chris Barnett
05-27-2008, 1:40 AM
Perhaps a sign up on the wall

PLEASE
DO NOT LET PROPRIETOR
NEAR POWER TOOLS.

Gary Lange
05-27-2008, 7:27 AM
It is tough getting old! It seems like everything I need is up in my garage. The shop is not quite set up yet to function on its own I guess. I took the wrench I was using to change blades on the table saw back up to the garage tool box forgetting that I used it to change blades. I wanted to change to the Dado Blade so I had to go back upstairs and get the wrench and bring it back down to the shop. I am slowly getting things situated. Now building a wall cabinet for storage space will help to I hope. It has been fun but I don't seem to be loosing any weight with the trips up the stairs and back.

Dan Bussiere
05-27-2008, 9:16 AM
Couldn't you have saved the sled and just cut the wood backwards?;)

Jamie Shaw
05-27-2008, 12:53 PM
I recently bought a Rockler biscuit-cutting set for my router - 1 cutter + 3 different sizes of bearings to accommodate 3 different sizes of biscuits. The thing didn't come with directions, but I figured how hard can it be? I assembled the rig and did a few test cuts. After setting off the smoke detector and nearly starting my workbench on fire, I figured it must be defective. I boxed it up and was headed up the stairs from the shop when it finally dawned on me - I had installed the cutter upside down! :eek:

Les Heinen
05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Been working on a new walnut/maple raised panel door for the kitchen/garage portal for the last 2 months. Struggled with ripping 80" long stiles without outfeed table, jointing the stiles on a jointer with a 46" bed, cutting raised panels (twice-first set fancy firewood; another story for another post), assemblying with much todo and explicitives, swinging of mallets & gnashing of teeth and FINALLY the application to BLO/TO. While applying the second coat I called the LOML to come see her new door, after all it was looking pretty good. Her first words-"Looks a lot bigger than the old door." Grabbing the tape, I confirmed the fact that indeed the portal was 32" wide and the new door was 36" wide.:confused: I KNOW I measured the d**n thing at least three times during the planning stage. How I got it into my head the door had to be 36" wide I will never know. Now I can trim off 2" of each side (which will make the door very disproportional) or I can re-frame the portal and just have a nice wide door out to the garage and tell everyone I planned it that way.

Go ahead.....beat that!:)

Bart Leetch
05-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Jerry,

I have never done this..or anything like this..today! But I haven't been to the shop today ..yet....:D

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a local Ace Hardware store and bought something for a specific job I was doing in my shop. I don't rembember now what it was...the part or the job. I do remember putting the part on the kitchen table .....going to the shop.......start doing something....remembering the part .....walking from my shop to the house...and forgeting what I had come to the house for....5 times I made that trip...getting more frustrated each time....looking around the house trying to figure out what I'd come in for....It must be 35-40 feet from the shop to the house.....

As we age, we had better develop a sense of humor about our selves or we could end up living an awfully long time!:D

Ken

I read this to the LOML & we had a great laugh... Yes we understand all to well.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Ken

I read this to the LOML & we had a great laugh... Yes we understand all to well.

Bart,

I think it has something to do with the air here in the Pacific Northwest ....or maybe it's caused by the gases Mt. St. Helens spews?:rolleyes: