PDA

View Full Version : Bow Saws, Just Curious

harry strasil
05-26-2008, 8:42 AM
I like to use my bowsaws so they cut on the Push Stroke. What is your preference for cutting, Push Stroke or Pull Stroke?

Ray Gardiner
05-26-2008, 8:52 AM
I proudly handed my new bowsaw to a friend yesterday to try and he picked
it up and proceeded to cut on the pull stroke.

The discussion that followed is still going on, I think he likes his jap saws
too much. Personally I think it feels better cutting on the push stroke, I can
control the direction of the cut better. I am new to bow saws and having a
lot of fun learning, I like the "lively feel" that a highly tensioned blade gives.

Sorry I can't explain it better but here goes.

When you cut with a pull saw the blade is in tension. With a bow saw the
blade is ALREADY in tension so it doesn't matter which way you cut.

Jeff Aldred
05-26-2008, 9:01 AM
Hi Harry:
I did most of my early learning from Tag Frids books, and learned to push the saw. It was sad to hear that Tag had passed away. :( I owe that man a beer.
I have recently been collecting north american style rip and crosscut saws and trying to learn how to sharpen and use them. Lots of fun!:o

Don C Peterson
05-26-2008, 9:55 AM
I don't have any bow saws. That's an area I have yet to get into although I've been looking for a while.

Given my preference for western style saws though, I imagine that I would prefer pushing to pulling.

Brian Kent
05-26-2008, 11:27 AM
My only bow saw is a turning saw. I push it because I can control the direction of cut better. I tried to pull first because I usually use Japanese dozuki and ryoba saws for straight cuts.

Bob Strawn
05-27-2008, 3:06 PM
With a bow saw properly tensioned, the pull for tension is not as important. With the weight of the bow saw in proper balance, the force given by a push stroke also does not matter. I try to put about 250 lbs of force on the bow saw to keep it taunt. Roughly the same amount of force a band saw uses. I try to keep the weight of the bow saw about the same as the force I would use to push wood through a band saw.

The disadvantage of a pull stroke, is that the saw dust comes towards you. this can obscure your cutting line and force you to brush or blow off the sawdust as you work. The advantage of a pull stroke it that it is quite a bit easier to maintain a straight line. With proper stance a good eye and experience, a push stroke is probably better. For a total saw klutz like me, the pull stroke is much more precise.

With a conventional western saw, the push stroke allows for control of down force without the fatigue of the wrist that you would experience adding down force to a pull cut. With your extra hand managing the frame of the bow saw, control of down force is easy either way.

Here is the paradox of learning. By doing what is most effective, you may not be training yourself correctly. A pull stroke is less likely to kink a blade, put too much down force on a cut, and allows for an easier line up at making a straight cut. But by doing a pull stroke, you are not training yourself to the potential clean sight line that a push cut allows.

Being a saw klutz, I have given up on ever mastering the Western Saw. Instead of crying myself to sleep,I have settled with the amazingly precise cuts that a bow saw makes easy, or the convenient clean cuts of a Japanese Saw.

Bob

David DeCristoforo
05-27-2008, 3:11 PM
"...bowsaws...Push Stroke or Pull Stroke?"

The nice thing about bow saws is that you can use them either way. So I would recommend getting comfortable with both because which one is "better" will be greatly affected by the task at hand.

Danny Thompson
05-27-2008, 3:12 PM
Just wish I had one.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-27-2008, 6:16 PM
I'm not sure that mine is a "True" bow saw, but when I made it I set it to cut on the pull stroke.
Bruce

Stephen Shepherd
05-27-2008, 9:28 PM
Being as I do Western (Continental, Northern European, English influenced) woodwork, I must cut on the push stroke.

I wish my bow saw had a nicker nib to start the cut!

Stephen

Matt Wilson
05-28-2008, 8:32 AM
I've fairly recently made the tffw bowsaw. I've tried both push and pull configurations and just last night I think I've decided on the push method. I just found it a little easier to track the line while pushing.

The think I'm struggling with is the proper grip. I've found I get the best results when I hold it as the tffw page suggests
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=BIGP&description=Using%20the%20saw&fullimagepath=/extra/images/bowsaw/handonhandle_big.gif

but that method really doesn't seem to agree with my wrist (i.e. major wrist pain). I'd be curious to know how others are holding their saws...

Matt

harry strasil
05-28-2008, 8:39 AM
take note of the reliefs cut into the bolsters of this bowsaw for your hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/bowsaw1.jpg

Matt Wilson
05-28-2008, 8:43 AM
Hi Harry,
I've tried gripping the saw by the cheek (which I think is what you are suggesting). I've read that this is the traditional way of holding a bow saw (although I'm not sure if this is the traditional way to hold a turning bow saw). Any way, I did find that method more comfortable, but I found I lost a great deal of control over the saw.

Out of curiosity, do you usually put the piece you are sawing in a vice, or do you use some kind of saw bench?

cheers,
Matt

harry strasil
05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I usually clamp the piece in a vise on a bench.

But you might try altering your handle similar to this old antique PLUMB Hack saw, the handle is also what tightens the blade in the frame and it will rotate to any desired position.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/smithing/sawhandle01.jpg

Ray Gardiner
05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
This is from:-

"The Practical Woodworker" Bernard E Jones

It shows a two handed grip, that to my way of thinking could easily be
cutting on the pull stroke or push stroke.

I think it is pretty close to what Harry is saying.

Apologies for the poor picture quality I don't have a scanner.

Matt Wilson
05-28-2008, 2:37 PM
This is from:-

"The Practical Woodworker" Bernard E Jones

It shows a two handed grip, that to my way of thinking could easily be
cutting on the pull stroke or push stroke.

I think it is pretty close to what Harry is saying.

Apologies for the poor picture quality I don't have a scanner.

Thanks for posting the pic Ray. I'll have to give it a try next time...

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-28-2008, 9:31 PM
Matt.

I formed a hand hold in the frame of mine, too.

Bruce

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-28-2008, 9:32 PM
Matt,

Mine has a hand hold built into the frame, too.

Bruce