PDA

View Full Version : Money-Making Idea: Offer a Tool-Sharpening Workshop

Jeff Wright
05-26-2008, 8:12 AM
I am new to wood turning. I am convinced that knowing how to sharpen tools (chisels, plane blades or turning tools) is key to good work.

I've built a sharpening station to hold my Delta slow-speed grinder, added two Norton aluminum oxide wheels balanced with the Oneway gadget, dressed the wheels with a Wolverine dresser tool, bought all the Wolverine jigs. Plus, I bought a Penn State 6-tool set of M2 HSS turning tools just to practice sharpening (I am saving my Thompson and Sorby tools until I know what I am doing at the grinder wheel!). If I mess up a 6-piece set for $85, I'll feel a lot less depressed then if I messed up a set of Thompson tools.

But what I REALLY need is to have someone spend at least a day teaching and showing me how to put a keen edge on my tools. Not 20 minutes worth of show-and-tell, but a serious session that concludes with my knowing how to get the job done.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to start a workshop and make some money. But that person should really know what they're talking about . . . preferably someone who has many years of experience working along side some masters of the art.

I'd pay and travel for the class. It should include topics on selecting waterstones and how to use them to sharpen chisels and plane blades, and a thorough teaching in sharpening all manner of wood turning tools.

Lee Koepke
05-26-2008, 8:32 AM
I took a class a few months ago here in ATL at Highland Woodworking. Pretty good show. Myself, I have never sharpened anything prior. We learned the basics of the Scary Sharp method and he showed us some Tormek sharpening. Kinda informal .. once he went over the basics, we all kinda started working on our tools and he helped each of us.

Really, 'the basics' , are only a 15 minute show, the rest is practice and technique.

Check your local WoodCrafters or see if there is a Wood Working Guild in Tampa area, they may offer a seminar if there is enough local interest.

Randal Cobb
05-26-2008, 10:21 AM
I would also suggest finding a local Woodcraft or travel up to Highland woodworking in Atlanta and taking one of the one-day classes. I was planning on doing just that (only not having to travel, as I'm local) until I happened upon the guy that teaches the sharpening class at the local Woodcraft. He suggested getting the book "Sharpening with waterstones: a perfect edge in 60 seconds" by Ian Kirby. That and a 10 minute chat in the store and that was all I needed. I now have a super-sharp set of cheap-a$$ed chisels from HF that are remarkably holding an edge... plus, they can be used to shave with if needed. I also have a cheap-a$$ed Buck-Brothers plane that you can use the iron to shave with as well.

I guess what I'm saying is, while it could be beneficial to take a class, it's not necessary. If I can follow a book and put a razor edge on some cheap tools, anyone can.

Larry Fox
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
If you are ever up in Philly the PFW (run by Alan Turner) offers a full-day course on it. While I have never taken this particular course, I have taken a couple of others but you can't go wrong with one of his classes - very well instructed at a top-notch facility.

Tom Henderson2
05-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Jeff-

I am in the same boat -- I have done some "book learnin'" about sharpening but haven't been super successfull trying it myself.

I did notice that one fellow in SoCal offers such a class; I don't know anything about him other than I found his site through a link on David Marks site.

Here's the info:
http://www.wnwoodworks.com/classes.php?class_id=122

Unfortunately, the sharpening class was offered in February and isn't scheduled for the rest of this year.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Harley Reasons
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I took the class at Highland Hardware several years ago. This was before they built their new classroom building. It was very interesting to say the least. However, when the instructor said the easiest way to sharpen was to put the stone on the floor and get on your knees I thought "Man you must be crazy, us fluffy folks can't get down on our knees and remain for anytime". He was a heck of lot younger than me and a WHOLE lot less of him. Other than that, I had a enjoyable time and learned quite a bit.
My only other shock was when the credit card bill came in and I realized I'd spent $350. on waterstones. Sure glad the better half didn't open that one first.

Jeff Wright
05-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I took the class at Highland Hardware several years ago. This was before they built their new classroom building. It was very interesting to say the least. . .

There has been more than one occassion that I was tempted to relocate from Florida just to be closer to Highland Hardware in Atlanta. I keep getting emails from them with tempting woodworking classes. Maybe I'll move to Cobb County where, if my information is accurate, someone over the age of 62 pays nearly NO real estate tax. The money I would save could be spent on more woodworking tools. :D

Ellen Benkin
05-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Now that you've invested all that money in equipment, I'll suggest another tool. Get a WorkSharp sharpener, read the instructions and watch the DVD, and go for it! You'll never look back. In the words of one of my instructors, you can't ruin a chisel by practicing sharpening, you'll only make it shorter!

If you really want a class, check out your local community colleges as well as Woodcraft.