PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Meter suggestions

Steven Wilson
04-10-2004, 12:46 AM
I'm looking to procure a clamp on meter mainly to measure current (tuning a DC) but noticed that many also provide basic DMM functions which would be usefull in the shop; saves me from using the DMM from my studio for shop functions. Anyhow, I've been looking at the 320 and 330 series Fluke clamp meters and would like any of your opinions. I'm leaning towards the 335 as it has a back lit screen, rms reading, and a nifty inrush feature (max amps during first 100ms of startup). Anyhow, any thoughts on the 335 or other clamp meters or possibly using a clamp attachment to a regular DMM.

Thanks

Tyler Howell
04-10-2004, 9:23 AM
[QUOTE=Steven Wilson]I'm looking to procure a clamp on meter mainly to measure current (tuning a DC) but noticed that many also provide basic DMM functions which would be usefull in the shop; saves me from using the DMM from my studio for shop functions. Anyhow, I've been looking at the 320 and 330 series Fluke clamp meters and would like any of your opinions. I'm leaning towards the 335 as it has a back lit screen, rms reading, and a nifty inrush feature (max amps during first 100ms of startup). Anyhow, any thoughts on the 335 or other clamp meters or possibly using a clamp attachment to a regular DMM.

Fluke is an industry standard and great for all around use. You know about "add- ons" Steve. If you're looking for just a reference on a one time deal OK. An accessory(SP) like this should be calibrated to the DMM.

Bill Pentz
04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm looking to procure a clamp on meter mainly to measure current (tuning a DC) but noticed that many also provide basic DMM functions which would be usefull in the shop; saves me from using the DMM from my studio for shop functions. Anyhow, I've been looking at the 320 and 330 series Fluke clamp meters and would like any of your opinions. I'm leaning towards the 335 as it has a back lit screen, rms reading, and a nifty inrush feature (max amps during first 100ms of startup). Anyhow, any thoughts on the 335 or other clamp meters or possibly using a clamp attachment to a regular DMM.

Thanks

Steven,

Although the Fluke meters are excellent units, unless you really want that level of tool, there are lots of far more affordable clamp-on multimeters that will do the job well to just measure motor amperage. I bought one of the Harbor Freight 42396 Digital Clamp-on meters which is now on sale through April 26 at their stores for $9.97. I tested it with both my Fluke and my Monroe meters and found it within 1%. www.harborfreighttools.com and search for 42396 or multimeter for more information. Pricing is only good at their stores. I am not affiliated with HF nor do I receive any pay or other incentive from them.

bill

Steven Wilson
04-10-2004, 4:03 PM
Steven,

Although the Fluke meters are excellent units, unless you really want that level of tool, there are lots of far more affordable clamp-on multimeters that will do the job well to just measure motor amperage. I bought one of the Harbor Freight 42396 Digital Clamp-on meters which is now on sale through April 26 at their stores for $9.97. I tested it with both my Fluke and my Monroe meters and found it within 1%. www.harborfreighttools.com and search for 42396 or multimeter for more information. Pricing is only good at their stores. I am not affiliated with HF nor do I receive any pay or other incentive from them.

bill

Thanks Bill, I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight. I was looking at a multi-function clamp meter that could also be used for other shop duties; lets me leave my DMM in the recording studio.

Tyler Howell
04-11-2004, 6:28 AM
Thanks Bill, I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight. I was looking at a multi-function clamp meter that could also be used for other shop duties; lets me leave my DMM in the recording studio.That's it Steve, you hit all the hot buttons.
New MM, DMM, Recording studio, Dissin HF!!! :cool::cool::cool:
Put me on your calander buddy, I'm coming to visit. I'm PMing you big time.;);)

Mike Cutler
04-11-2004, 6:54 PM
Steve. The Clamp ons that you detailed are all very high quality devices. For the use that you outlined I would suggest the Fluke 322. The Fluke 335 is a very nice unit , but the range is 0-600 amps with an accuracy of +/- 2% of reading + 5counts. The resolution of the meter may drop off and not be capable of providing you any true empirical or quality data at the low current readings you can expect to obtain from a home DC. Still though, it is a very nice unit. The Fluke 322 on the other hand has a slightly better accuracy spec for current but has "Dual Range" current reading capabilities. According to the tech data on the home page the 322 when used on the 0-40 amp range would give much better overall accuracy and additional resolution. It also has a higher range, 40 -400 amps should the need arise It lacks the inrush function that you were looking at but if you are truly trying to " tune" a DC you will need to be looking at the most accurate meter you can find that would give you the most resolution in the lower current ranges. As far as accuracy is concerened, unless you have access to NIST calibration devices or a lab to calibrate the unit to NIST standards,you will be basically doing comparative analysis type measurements. First by establishing base line data and then tracking changes over time or increases or decreases in load, while this is somewhat speculative in nature, qualitative results can be obtained with careful attention to detail. Additionally, don't confuse the accuracy of a device with the resolution. they have almost no relationship to each other, no matter what the manufacturere states.Good luck and have fun. Addy protocol; 25 years experience in the instrmentation field, performing process calibration and instrument calibrations, including calibrating these devices to NIST standards.

Steven Wilson
04-11-2004, 8:24 PM
Thanks Mike, I was looking at the 322, even looking at the kit with it and the 112 DMM, a bit more sensible price wise.