View Full Version : A "little" cleaning

Clint Jones
05-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Before.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/junkerjones/cur1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/junkerjones/cur2.jpg

and After.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/junkerjones/brogls.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics on the before I dont know what was up with them. Just gave the plane a gentle cleaning.This one is an oddity in that I believe it was produced in the war years despite the brass and rosewood. It is tough to date no.1's and 2's because they are odballs but I think I have seen enough of the larger bench planes to notice the subtle differences. The casting is a bit thicker than my other no.1's and the rough machining on the cap resembles the ones I see on the other war type bench planes. Also has the notched logo with no bluing on the back of the chipbreaker. I own 3 sw no.1's and always see them but never the later types, I believe these were the last of the no.1's.

Jim Koepke
05-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Nice work. Do you have a display of your planes?

I like looking at and handling mine, but usually get enough when using them.

I think watching the shavings come up and out is even more enjoyable.

As much as I would like a Stanley #1, it will likely not happen unless a deal at a yard sale or such comes along. There is a #1 LN in my shop and it comes in handy at times.

jim

James Mittlefehldt
05-26-2008, 9:09 AM
Nice work. Do you have a display of your planes?

I like looking at and handling mine, but usually get enough when using them.

I think watching the shavings come up and out is even more enjoyable.

As much as I would like a Stanley #1, it will likely not happen unless a deal at a yard sale or such comes along. There is a #1 LN in my shop and it comes in handy at times.

jim

Never handled a no 1 Jim and I am surious how do you use it. What sort of stuff do you do with it and how do you hold it.

I am looking for an Ohio Tool no 1 which I doubt I will ever find they are scarcer than Stanleys.

Jim Koepke
05-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Never handled a no 1 Jim and I am surious how do you use it.

Its small size makes it good when working on swirly grain on the edge or even sometimes the center of a board. It is not used a lot, but every now and then, it is the best choice for a particular job.

What sort of stuff do you do with it and how do you hold it.

See above and very carefully.

I am looking for an Ohio Tool no 1 which I doubt I will ever find they are scarcer than Stanleys.

Scarcity does not always translate to a higher price. Good luck.

jim

Clint Jones
05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I was going to buy a nice Ohio No.01 a few months back for $2000 but the seller flaked out. I probably could have made $1000 reselling it which I planned to do.

gary Zimmel
05-26-2008, 4:11 PM
Clint

Nice clean up job.

Still amazes me how much you know about hand planes.....

Mark Engel
05-26-2008, 5:08 PM
Very nice clean-up job. Can you share your techniques? Or if you have already, please point me towards the thread. Thanks.

Chuck Nickerson
05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
James - I use my LN #1 fairly frequently (weekly?). It fits my hand quite well for working on the pull stroke. So when I'm working on a project where I don't want to reposition myself due to reversing grain, I keep the #1 in my pocket.