PDA

View Full Version : How far do you drive to work?

Bryan Rocker
05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
As I am getting ready to move into the next chapter of my life and the possible long commutes ahead of me. I was curious, outside of lucky few who host this great forum, how far in time/miles do you commute to and from work on a daily basis? Will the rising gas prices make you move closer or change jobs?

Bryan

Terry Kelly
05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Right now it's 63 miles each way for me, anywhere from 50-60 min time wise...5-6 days a week... I carpool so it helps with the rising cost of gas... now at about $200 a month. Should be at this job til November at least, then I hope to get a lil bit closer. Alot depends on the economy.

David Sallee
05-26-2008, 12:29 AM
hey Bryan,

Well, my commute to my home office is 45 min / 30 miles. (Company car.. :) )

BUT... that is just to the home office and I work on copiers in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. There has been days I have driven 500 miles in one day to work on 5 different copiers in 5 different cities. Good thing the company provides me a company car and THEY pay the gas bill... LOL

Oh.. and I also take it home every night and on weekends so in reality, my commute to work is company paid and I'm paid from 8 to 5 no matter how many copiers I work on or miles I drive! Plus I get weekends off.. :)

can ya tell I like my job? ....

Now the wife on the other hand... she drives about 10 miles to and from work daily... she drives our 99 Durango V8 @ 14 miles to the gallon!! Good thing we live close to her work!

Dave

Larry Browning
05-26-2008, 12:30 AM
I drive 26 miles to work each day and LOML drives about the same but in the opposite direction. However, I had been driving a 2002 V8 Tundra to and from work which gets 17mpg. Along with the other running around we do our gas bill is between $600 to $800 a month. This is crazy and I cannot keep it up much longer. I have started doing a few things to help with this expense. I bought a used Kia Rio that gets around 35mpg if I drive carefully. My wife now drives a RAV4, but I am not going to convince her to change vehicles, she get around 22mpg or so. Also, I have finally convinced my employer to allow me to telecommute one day a week. At this point it is experimental but I am hoping it will work out and I can increase that to 2 or 3 days. Moving back to town is not yet an option I am considering, nor is changing jobs. I am too close to retirement for either of those to be practical for me. (8 years)

glenn bradley
05-26-2008, 12:37 AM
About ten years ago, circumstances had me living a few blocks from my employer at that time. Having been adjusted to driving for an hour or more to get to work and the same to get home, it was quite a shock. I've been in the same filed for 26 years and early on it was normal to change employers every 3 to 5 years even though the job remains the same. Ever since that first 'living close to work' experience, I continued to live close to work. I currently drive 4 miles one way and hope to do so until I retire (I don't want to change employers any more).

Richard M. Wolfe
05-26-2008, 1:13 AM
My commute is about 3 miles one way. It just so happens I live across town from my work. But not a big town. A girl who worked down the hall from me said we don't have a rush hour - it's a rush minute. :D

The thing that I see that has changed so drastically is where people live now. It used to be if you became affluent you moved into town, so you could have amenities like electricity and close shopping. Now everybody seems to have a craze for living in the country. And I see this (around here, anyway) as having taken place only within the past ten years. Over ten years ago when I went to work I would wait for a vehicle or two to pass before I made the left hand turn into the parking lot. Now it's not unusual to count 15 or 20 vehicles passing before I can make my turn. And the commutes get longer and longer.....fifty and sixty miles are fairly common. No thanks, not me. Who wants to spend that much of your life looking at pavement? And not to mention the cost nowadays of looking at that pavement.

Chris Damm
05-26-2008, 6:59 AM
What is this "work" that of you speak?

Eric Franklin
05-26-2008, 7:11 AM
I have a 12 mile/15-20 minute commute one way to the office. I do a lot of driving for work but I get paid mileage for that.

Tim Morton
05-26-2008, 8:43 AM
My commute is 41 miles each way 5-6 days a week.

David G Baker
05-26-2008, 8:56 AM
I commuted 50 miles one way in San Francisco Bay Area rush hour traffic for 26 years with an average of 1-1/2 hours sitting in slow traffic every day. I am retired now and am thankful that the commute is over. Moving closer to work was not a good financial option. The closer to San Francisco the higher the real estate cost.

Matt Meiser
05-26-2008, 9:14 AM
A little over a year ago I took a job where I telecommute which is saving us a TON of money these days. I used to drive about 35 miles each way.

Ed Kilburn
05-26-2008, 9:20 AM
How about 34'- 6 1/2", if I slide out the other side of the bed instead of walking around its only 16'- 4 3/4". Yep I work from home, when I have to travel the company picks up the tab. I even get to keep the air miles, so they pay the flights for vacations. I love my job, it's some of the people I have to deal with that makes it work. Just got the wife an Yaris, she travels 12 miles each way, got to send her off to work, so she doesn’t drive me crazy all day. I’ll drive the Highlander for running around, and park the Tundra except when I need to haul or tow something that can’t be put in the Highlander.

Jim O'Dell
05-26-2008, 9:31 AM
My last job was 5.5 miles each way, and I went home for lunch. Now its about 12 miles each way and I bring my lunch. I get to drive away from the sun both morning and evening :) and on the light side of traffic both ways, so it's only about 15 minutes driving at 62 mph. I get about 16.5 mpg in my '02 Ford E250 extended van. Jim.

Rob Russell
05-26-2008, 9:37 AM
It's 8-9 miles for me. That's 15-25 minutes to drive depending on traffic. I ride it on a bicycle in 35-45 minutes (different routes riding in vs. home).

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2008, 9:42 AM
8 miles one way to work and then 9 miles on the way home as I take a longer way home so I can drop off the stress of the day before I get home. Travel time is honestly about 13 minutes.

Bryan Berguson
05-26-2008, 9:48 AM
11 miles each way. About a 20 minute drive as much of it is dirt roads and the rest are secondary roads.

Bryan

Jim Becker
05-26-2008, 9:53 AM
Unless I'm headed to the airport, my commute is "front stairs or back"... I've been in a virtual office situation for over 11 years now.

Professor Dr. SWMBO only drives about 6 miles now; down from 25 each way prior to her moving jobs to her present employer. She was also able to negotiate a local office instead of having to go into the City every day and takes the train in on those days she does need to be there for teaching or advising or meetings. Train station is also about 6 miles.

We both drive hybrid vehicles, BTW.

Oh, Ed, I guess I have about a 50-60' walk to this particular office, but sometime in the next week I'm moving into my new one, which is about, oh, 20' from my side of the bed.... :D Of course, the latté machine is still down in the kitchen, so my "actual" commute isn't really changing that much and I can still vary the route.... LOL

Bryan Rocker
05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Interesting range of comments, I am looking at a 50 mile commute which will take me around 45 mins since it is all at @ 65 mph. My concern with moving closer is buying a house that isn't getting me anything more except less time behind the wheel. Some of the areas I have been looking at are very restrictive when it comes to 2nd garages/shops, some to the point where the shed and the detached garage can not exceed 480 sq feet but the drive would still be 20-25 mins. With my skill set it would be very very difficult to work on turbine engines or the like over the phone.......

Bruce Koch
05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
My commute is about 75 feet. My cabinetshop is close to the house. Most of the time I don't drive unless i'm installing.

Fred Voorhees
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Being in the construction trade, I have driven as little as a mile or two and up to 100 miles. I am in New Jersey and my Insulators union hall serves pretty much the entire lower 60 percent of Jersey. With gas prices the way they are, retirement in five years will be best relished by the definite decrease in gas useage!:)

Montgomery Scott
05-26-2008, 1:08 PM
I commute about 16 miles each way. I normally drive alone, but also belong to a vanpool. I don't take the vanpool very often as it is on a nine hour day and I prefer to work ten hours. Gas prices don't affect me since I just work an extra hour of OT to pay for most of a month's worth of gas.

I am trying to sell my house to move to an area where the predominant traffic is in the opposite direction to cut the commute time and other reasons. The housing in that area can still be had for less than $500,000 especially since the market is softening a little.

Bruce Page
05-26-2008, 1:19 PM
5.5 miles from driveway to parking lot. A full tank in my Ram PU lasts just shy of 3 weeks. I don't know how people can drive 50/60 miles to work - that would kill me! :eek:

Greg Cole
05-26-2008, 1:23 PM
My daily round trip is under 13 miles. LOML's is roughly 1.5 (yes one & one half miles) total.
To say we don't buy alot of gas is probably an understatement. Up until my BIL moved to town I used to fill up @ once a month.:D Now that I run to his place a couple times during the week, I seem to be up to @ 2 full-ups a month. :rolleyes:

Greg

Nancy Laird
05-26-2008, 1:33 PM
When I was working full-time, my commute was about 13 miles one way, but with all the traffic and traffic lights and back-ups and traffic jams, it usually took me 35-40 minutes to get there. Now, it's about 30 feet out the back door to the laser shop or the wood shop. I drive a Ford Windstar, and would get two weeks off a tank of gas, unless I did a lot of weekend driving. Now, a tank of gas lasts me at least a month.

On the other hand, LOML's commute is about 12 miles, again in traffic with lights and jams, and it takes him half an hour on a good day. He drives a Ford F-150 V-8, and gets 15 mpg or better, but we also use his vehicle for most of our joint errands and trips to friends, etc., so he fills up about once a week. Right now he's on a road trip to Minnesota, and gas prices are driving him nutz---up to about 3.85/gal in Mpls.

I filled up last week at Sam's for $3.50/gal, and never thought I'd think that price was a bargain!!!

Matt Ocel
05-26-2008, 2:06 PM
Depends on where work is. As a general contractor I have to go where I can get the jobs. Last Fall I built 2 pole barns 75 miles 1 way.

The way I see it - I can't change the price of gas but I can work harder, do the best job I can and try to make more money.

P.S. $96.97 to fill my Ford last Friday.

Ed Kilburn
05-26-2008, 2:12 PM
Jim my man you just haven't trained your wife properly. I get coffee in bed, seeing my wife needs to get up earlier to get ready (makeup, hair, and God knows what else) plus the travel time to work. Retraining may still be possible, let me know if you need any pointers. hehe

Jim Becker
05-26-2008, 2:34 PM
Jim my man you just haven't trained your wife properly. I get coffee in bed, seeing my wife needs to get up earlier to get ready (makeup, hair, and God knows what else) plus the travel time to work. Retraining may still be possible, let me know if you need any pointers. hehe

Professor Dr. SWMBO's not familiar with the espresso machine...and she pulls her weight in complimentary ways around there. I cook during the week, for example. (and really enjoy it) She picks up the girls from after-care most days. etc. There is no re-training necessary. ;)

Steve Clardy
05-26-2008, 3:20 PM
My commute is about 75 feet. My cabinetshop is close to the house. Most of the time I don't drive unless i'm installing.

Same here, but about 50 feet.

Don Abele
05-26-2008, 3:54 PM
68 miles each way through Boston traffic. Thankfully I leave the house by 5:30 and miss most of the heavy traffic. Trip still takes me almost an hour and a half. Of course my trip home is usually about two hours as I hit the rush hour at 5:00. Longest commute was last winter during a storm - took me 4 hours to get home :eek:

I own a Ram 3500 Dually Diesel, gets about 15 mpg. When I moved here I bought a Kia Spectra that gets 32-35 mpg as my daily commuter car (I also use it for all the quick trips around town). Bought it three years ago - it'll hit 100,000 miles here in the next month or so :D On the other hand, I've put less than 3,000 miles on the truck in 3 years. Nice when I'm only changing the oil once a year (and that's just as a precaution).

Be well,

Doc

Joe Pelonio
05-26-2008, 4:03 PM
I used to drive 11 miles, which could take over an hour stuck in nasty traffic.

Now I walk up the stairs to the shop over the garage.

My wife works at a school 1 block away.

Brian Hoskins
05-26-2008, 4:40 PM
For two more weeks, my commute is 22 miles (Kailua to Pearl Harbor).
This is what I have to face every day.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/zzbruno/04c.jpg

We're moving to Aiea, just on the northwest edge of Pearl Harbor the middle of June.
I figure I'll save at least $200 on gas.

I will miss the drive through the mountains though. I used to ride a commuter bus from Ashburn, VA to Washington, DC. Now that was bad.

Andy Hoyt
05-26-2008, 5:03 PM
About 120 feet here. That's bedroom to office/shop.

The half-way-back-trip to the coffee pot is a killer.

Steve Clardy
05-26-2008, 5:11 PM
The half-way-back-trip to the coffee pot is a killer.

Hmmm. Andy needs a battery powered, portable, belt held coffee pot. :rolleyes:

Bruce Page
05-26-2008, 5:33 PM
For two more weeks, my commute is 22 miles (Kailua to Pearl Harbor).
This is what I have to face every day.

We're moving to Aiea, just on the northwest edge of Pearl Harbor the middle of June.
I figure I'll save at least $200 on gas.

I will miss the drive through the mountains though. I used to ride a commuter bus from Ashburn, VA to Washington, DC. Now that was bad.
The Pali Highway is breathtaking.

Tim Morton
05-26-2008, 5:53 PM
The Pali Highway is breathtaking.

Much better than the road to hana;)

Steve Jenkins
05-26-2008, 6:54 PM
about 200 feet since I moved two years ago. Was 9 miles with bad traffic all the way.

Chris Friesen
05-26-2008, 7:06 PM
I live in Saskatchewan and work for a company in Ontario. I telecommute 3200km. :)

I live in a city of 280000 and I bike as much as reasonably possible. Minor errands, etc. often get done on bike.

Kevin French
05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
25 miles one way, 30+mins. 19MPG $4.85 for diesel (As of friday, may be over 5 tomorrow)

Looks like I might get a small compact and park the truck.

Jim Mattheiss
05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I commute 32 highway miles each way 5 days week.
35 minutes best time, 45 minutes average.
You sort of get in the zone . . .

Took 18 months off to work locally and getting back into
to 30+ mile commute took a while.

Have carpooled in the past but differing schedules caused hassles.

My 5 speed 2000 VW gets 28-29 MPG highway.
I need a new car but the only way I see to jump WAY
past 30 mpg is to go to hybrid or a tiny car. Mini's
look cool but have limited lumber carrying potential.

Jim

Glenn Clabo
05-27-2008, 8:06 AM
For the last 10 years...3.9 miles...10 minutes along the Bay. I just measured for the first time today.

And to think I had a 1 hour plus trip each way for 20 years into DC! What was I thinking?

Ron Dunn
05-27-2008, 9:14 AM
160 km (100 miles) each way. I drive if I'm flying, but take the train if I'm just going to the office. (There are no trains to meet late night flights)

Dennis Peacock
05-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I cook during the week, for example. (and really enjoy it)

Don't let this Becker dude fool you. This guy can "cook"!!!!! The meal I had in their home last year was probably some of the very best away from home food I've ever eaten. BTW, did you know Mr. Becker can cook??!!! ;)

Bob Moyer
05-27-2008, 2:35 PM
9 Miles one way - 2 stop signs. All country roads :D unless I decide to venture on to an interstate which does not shorten the distance, but adds aggravation.

Derek Tuchscherer
05-27-2008, 3:09 PM
5 miles each way, 12-13 minutes each way in the winter in my truck and 15-18 minutes in the summer via bicycle.

Ron Jones near Indy
05-27-2008, 3:15 PM
I have a 1.2 mile drive one way to school (.2 miles of that is across a parking lot). In the afternoon it's a 1.5 mile drive (one way drive adds to the total) home. It is a 3 minute drive in the morning and a 6 minute afternoon commute.:):):) That takes care of the paying job. It's a walk of 50 feet from the back door to the shop. I love that.:cool::cool::cool:

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-27-2008, 3:22 PM
30 miles and maybe 35 minutes each way on a typical day. We had moved mid-way between my work and LOML work when we got married, and we didn't even consider moving closer to mine when she stopped working.

jeremy levine
05-27-2008, 3:36 PM
This is what mapquest says

Estimated Time: 18 minutes Estimated Distance: 9.22 miles

I did commute to NYC via train (50 minutes.) for about 14 years

Brad Knight
05-27-2008, 3:43 PM
300-350 miles... every day. I drive to different drilling rigs every day and they're spread out across the Texas panhandle. Luckily... the company provides the gas.. and vehicle... and service... and tires...

David Freed
05-28-2008, 8:18 AM
500 to 700 miles a day, driving an 18 wheeler. 7 1/2 mpg (that is actually pretty good) and I pay for the fuel, which is $4.60/gal right now. It has gone up $.60 in 3 weeks. If I work in my shop I only have to walk 200'.

Keith Outten
05-28-2008, 9:47 AM
As I am getting ready to move into the next chapter of my life and the possible long commutes ahead of me. I was curious, outside of lucky few who host this great forum, how far in time/miles do you commute to and from work on a daily basis? Will the rising gas prices make you move closer or change jobs?

Bryan

Bryan,

I work at Christopher Newport University, my commute is about 20 miles one way and takes between 45 minutes to an hour each way.

Mark Patoka
05-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I only have to drive 2 miles to the commuter lot then someone else drives me for free the remaining 38 miles into work. Gas prices have a minimal effect on my commute cost but it does impact the price of bus tickets, metro, etc.

Jason Roehl
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, right now, I'm working on an exterior that is about 0.25 miles round-trip. It would be shorter, but I don't bother turning the truck around in their driveway, I just go the long way around the neighborhood loop. Average for me dropped last year from about 40 miles total/day to about 20 miles total/day when we moved to just outside the city limits (still have most city services and pay 1/2 the property taxes of an inside-the-city-limits comparable property) from a bedroom community that was about 15 miles from the center of the city and county.

Paul Geer
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
To work and back home, around 20 miles.

Jon Todd
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I take about 15 steps into the Basement and Im there.

Dan Carroll
05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I had the I-270 commute for a little over a year. It was 46 miles each way from just north of Frederick, Maryland to Bethesda. It took anywhere from 50 minutes to 2.5 hours. The 50 minutes was the exception one day or so a week. Most of the time 90 minutes plus. After a year of that, I took a job at a slight pay cut that was 15 miles in the other direction. Commute now is about 25 minutes and some morning, I don't see another car at all.

Jim Knight
05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
My apartment, though bad for wood working, is great for gas. I live about a mile and half from the University (history grad student). When the weather is good I walk. When I first moved here I made a game of seeing how long I could go between fill ups. My record is six weeks. I'm glad for every penny I can save on gas because our car drinks like most of my colleagues.

John Shuk
05-28-2008, 8:01 PM
14 miles each way.

Gary Herrmann
05-28-2008, 9:05 PM
4 miles each way. I reeeellly like my current client.

julie Graf
05-28-2008, 9:54 PM
i walk downstairs.

i used to walk 3 blocks.

before that it was 11 miles (but 30-45 minutes) each way.

i like being closer - not only does it save on gas, but you can make lunch at home (and save $), and saves time, which means more time for coffee in the morning.

Jim Mims
05-29-2008, 8:19 AM
25 miles here.
I am soooooo thankful I bought a Camry Hybrid last year.
I average 44~45 mpg.

- Jim

Dennis Peacock
05-29-2008, 8:40 AM
i walk downstairs.

i used to walk 3 blocks.

before that it was 11 miles (but 30-45 minutes) each way.

i like being closer - not only does it save on gas, but you can make lunch at home (and save $), and saves time, which means more time for coffee in the morning.

I like the way you think Julie. :)

Keith Starosta
05-29-2008, 9:53 AM
I have a 115 mile round-trip commute every day, from Fredericksburg to McLean, VA. I am trying desparetly to get moved to a project on Quantico. It would sorta improve things a bit...... :rolleyes:

- Keith

Glenn Clabo
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Makes me long for the old days of that scenic trip to Crystal City Keith...NOT!

Chris Padilla
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
14 miles each way...on two wheels, calf/thigh powered! :D

Keith Starosta
05-29-2008, 3:49 PM
Makes me long for the old days of that scenic trip to Crystal City Keith...NOT!

Yeah, lots of lovely scenery up there....if you like concrete, glass, and crowds. :rolleyes:

- Keith

Craig Summers
05-29-2008, 9:09 PM
Keith
I understand your pain
Maybe you'll get your wish and get that closer job, and all the other commuters will find some kind of relief from that 4 lane parking lot.

I have a 40 minute commute along the Prince William Parkway to northern Hoodbridge, i mean Woodbridge VA. I just hate the silly mis-timed traffic lights. I could save 10-15 minutes if they were better timed.

Ed Kilburn
05-29-2008, 9:30 PM
Wow, just checked the Yaris mileage, 41.989 miles/gal. First 1/2 tank, this was 222 miles, 5.287 gal. 60 highway bringing it home, and the rest around town, and the 12 mile trip my wife makes to work and home. I'm taking it this weekend, back to my folk's home round trip on the highway about 250 miles; I can't wait to see how it does then.

Leigh Costello
05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Hubby drives 48 miles one way, I either walk downstairs or, if they need help, to the local feed store 14 miles away. Mostly, I like the downstairs route, right past the coffee pot and thermal carafe that travels with me. The basement shop is off the finished basement portion that houses our rec room. Be great if I would stop piling stuff on our pool table. :D

Jesse Espe
05-30-2008, 6:33 AM
In my previous job, I travelled ~40 miles each way from Virginia Beach to Newport News, VA. Almost all highway miles, so it wasn't so bad. Now that I work inside the DC beltway, I travel ~30 miles each way. However, it's about 4 miles to the commuter lot where I either catch my carpool to ride in the HOV-3 lanes or slug in (for those unfamiliar, "slugging", in my opinion, is a form of civilized hitchhiking, done to have enough people in a car to drive the HOV-3 lanes). I very rarely drive myself in these days - costs too much money and can take hours each way.

Cheers,
Jesse

Art Mulder
05-30-2008, 6:48 AM
It's 8-9 miles for me. That's 15-25 minutes to drive depending on traffic. I ride it on a bicycle in 35-45 minutes (different routes riding in vs. home).

That's the way to do it, Rob. Every time I pass a gas station and see the prices, I'm glad to be on a bike!

I currently drive 4 miles one way and hope to do so until I retire (I don't want to change employers any more).

Glenn, sounds to me like you would be a prime candidate for cycling. Being SoCal, you can easily do it all year, no?

Interesting range of comments, I am looking at a 50 mile commute which will take me around 45 mins since it is all at @ 65 mph. My concern with moving closer is buying a house that isn't getting me anything more except less time behind the wheel.

Bryan,
We moved to this city for a job. At that time, we intentionally limited our house hunting to a few specific neighbourhoods, close enough that I would be able to bike to work (or bus in winter). We ended up just under 4km away in quite a decent home. Now, we didn't actually get on a good bus route, but it turned out that I could cycle all year, thanks to the milder winters around here (and good plowing/salting by the city). So we've saved a ton of money by being able to live with just one car in the family.

Moving for the job "just" to save gas/time is not an easy decision, as you've already mentioned. Friend of mine moved within the city and between realtor fees (:mad:), survey, land transfer taxes, moving costs, and all the other headaches/expenses, he figured it was about $20,000 to move. :eek: It definitely takes a while to pay for that just in gas saved. Really, it's probably more about lifestyle choices... do you want to spend 90 minutes (or whatever) a day stressing through traffic or not?

best,
...art

Charles Wiggins
05-30-2008, 7:08 AM
Just moved and cut it from 1 hr./60 miles to 7-10 mins./4.5 miles :D

Glenn Clabo
05-30-2008, 7:17 AM
Glenn, sounds to me like you would be a prime candidate for cycling. Being SoCal, you can easily do it all year, no?

Art...
I'm in Rhode Island.
...and yes I do bike (Yes Chris...it's a Trek) but it's a convience thing that keeps me from doing it often.

Art Mulder
05-30-2008, 8:44 AM
Art...
I'm in Rhode Island.
...and yes I do bike (Yes Chris...it's a Trek) but it's a convience thing that keeps me from doing it often.

Glenn,
:confused: Did you misread my post? I was replying to Glenn Bradley.

I know not everyone can bike, even if they do live close enough - some people need to haul a lot of stuff, or they need to be ready to go to other locations, or dressed for sales calls, etc.

Grant Davis
05-30-2008, 9:25 AM
2.2 miles door to door. I love it.

Glenn Clabo
05-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Yup...DUH!

Chris Padilla
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM

Properly outfited, sure! Believe it or not, it does get quite chilly in morning around here and it does rain!

However, we get the impact of San Francisco Bay which brings in cloudy skies and cold moist winds to chill one to the bone in the mornings...even in the middle of the summer. Ever hear the line:

The coldest winter I spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco

No lie! I thought growing up in Colorado that I'd be walking around in shorts year-round but that is quite far from the truth!

Joe Mioux
05-30-2008, 1:58 PM
I have a 1mile trip/3minutes to work and my wife is a MOM at home.

Unforutantely, I just opened my AmEx bill - Gas -- it tipped the scales at $1100plus last month.

joe

Bruce Page
05-30-2008, 3:30 PM
I have a 1mile trip/3minutes to work and my wife is a MOM at home.

Unforutantely, I just opened my AmEx bill - Gas -- it tipped the scales at $1100plus last month.

joe
1 Mile X 2 X 28 days per month = 56 miles ÷ $1100 = $19.64 per mile

$4.00/gal gas is starting to look pretty good.

Joe Mioux
05-30-2008, 4:59 PM
1 Mile X 2 X 28 days per month = 56 miles ÷ $1100 = $19.64 per mile

$4.00/gal gas is starting to look pretty good.

I forgot to mention, lol, that my mini van gets used for lots of deliveries during the course of a day. ;)

Wil Lambert
05-30-2008, 5:53 PM
Round trip daily is 108 miles. I drive an Audi TT and get 30-33 per gal but I have to run premium. Between the wife and I gas cost over $800 a month.

Wil

Jay Jolliffe
05-30-2008, 5:59 PM
I live on an island that's only seven miles long so I'll never drive more than that. I do most of my work in my shop which is about 80' from the house. Right now when I deliver to the job it is 3 miles away. With that short distance I still use about 75.00 worth of gas a week. Over here gas is 4.70/gal. Off the island it just reached 4.03.....

Brad Schmid
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
For me, it's 45 miles round trip per day. It takes 1 gallon per day on the Harley, and I ride every day rain or shine. My wife is a school teacher and drives a Toyota FJ one mile round trip per day. My truck stays parked 99% of it's life (for the past 2 years). So, normally we use about 6-7 gallons of gas a week total including a few trips to the local stores.