PDA

View Full Version : Finally done

Al Willits
05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Been a long road, but I finally got a actual piece of funiture done. :)
Have to admit, it was a battle to get it done.

I have to thank this forum for all the help over the last two years, been a interesting time.

Anyway, here's a few pictures.

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Nicely done Al! Well worth the wait. Is that special etched glass you are using in that?

Al Willits
05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks Ken, actually that isn't glass, we wanted it open for air circulation for the electronics, the TV sits on top.

I used a sheet of sheet metal with the diamond pattern cut out, bought it at Home Depot and painted it black. :)

Al

I see the inlays don't show well, I'll take a couple more pictures tommorrow

Jim Becker
05-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Really great looking work, Al!

Dewey Torres
05-25-2008, 11:45 PM
I like it Al!
Thanks for posting!
Dewey

John Thompson
05-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Very nice with a good grain selection and that's not always as easy some might think.

Regards...

Sarge..

Don Bullock
05-26-2008, 9:57 AM
Congratulations Al. You're cabinet came out great. It was worth all the time and effort.

Jesse Cloud
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Sweeeet! Great cabinet! Thanks for posting.

gary Zimmel
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Great looking cabinet Al. As others have said well worth the wait...

I bet it will look even better when it's in the house with the T.V. and components loaded.

Al Willits
05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Have to say it was a labor of love and a whole lot of fustration, the trim took me way longer than I thought it would, had to remake new sections at least three or 4 times times to finally get enough to finish it, seems to long, to long, to long..oh damn, happened way to often.. :)

Anyway, Beasty love's it, and if you stand it on a level floor, it doesn't tip over so I must have done ok.

Here's a few pictures of the trim, just didn't look right with the plain trim, so I added a inlay, used white oak for the cabinet and cherry for the trim inlay.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Al

kevin loftus
05-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Great looking cabinet Al, very well made.:)

Bruce Page
05-26-2008, 1:01 PM
Great looking cabinet Al, very well made.:)
I'll second that! Beautiful craftsmanship. The grill is cool looking, great idea!

Nancy Laird
05-26-2008, 1:42 PM
Al, the cabinet is really nice, and I like the door inserts. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/023.gifhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/023.gifhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/023.gif

Glad that Beastie likes it---you'd be sleeping in the shop if she didn't, huh?:D:D

David Sallee
05-26-2008, 2:00 PM
Great looking cabinet Al... Excellent craftsmanship and I really like the trim work... NICE!

I've got something like that on my "to do" list.... got to get WAY more experience under my belt before I attempt something like this though... :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing...

Dave

Mark Stutz
05-26-2008, 2:08 PM
Nicely done. I really like the inlay. The subtle contrast is just perfect in this application.

Mark

Matt Meiser
05-26-2008, 3:03 PM
Al, it looks great. I like the idea for the doors.

Al Willits
05-26-2008, 3:24 PM
""""""
Glad that Beastie likes it---you'd be sleeping in the shop if she didn't, huh?:D:D

You got that right, 5 months and who knows how many honey do projects that put on hold, it didn't turn out I'd be moving up to Tylers....:)

Dave, I didn't realize how difficult this was gonna be, but I will say, don't let lack of exprence deter you.
I made a ton of mistakes on this project and at times almost turned it into fire wood, but with the help of this forum and my stubborness, I got it done.

Just take your time and think ahead, I cut many of the cuts a bit long and trimed to size, that seemed to help.
Also prefit before gluing, nothing worse that having two pieces full of glue and they don't fit..:)

Al

Carl Heidesch
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Very nice, Al! What's next ??

(Go Vikes)

Carl

Jeffrey Makiel
05-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Al...that's looks great. It must have been that new Osbourne miter gage! :)

-Jeff :)

Bill Wyko
05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Beautiful job. Very well done.

Al Willits
05-27-2008, 8:33 AM
Thanks all, appreciate the comments.

Carl, next is the kitchen cabinets I promised the wife I would do when I started buying woodworking tools 2 years ago, you know one of them, "But honey, look I can build you new cabinets if I get all these expensive tools" deals...:)

Jeff, ya in fact it did help, my miter cuts were always just a bit off till I got the Osbourne gage, probably more me than the tools I had, but it was right on the numbers out of the box and using it was a pleasure.

Bill, someday I'll tackle one of the awesome projects like you do, but for now I'll just think about it..:)

Al

Tyler Howell
05-27-2008, 9:51 PM
Looking Good Al,
I'll have to stop bye and check it out.
If Beasty was mad I'd have to turn you away buddy.
Cain't be giving aid and comfort to the enemy:rolleyes:

Al Willits
05-27-2008, 9:59 PM
Looking Good Al,
I'll have to stop bye and check it out.
If Beasty was mad I'd have to turn you away buddy.
Cain't be giving aid and comfort to the enemy:rolleyes:

Thanks.....your buying next time for that...:D

Al