PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw advice...

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
With all the wood that has fallen down around here lately... I am thinking an investment in a good chainsaw is in order.

From what I have seen... it looks like I can get a 46cc/20" for under $200... Some of the heavier duty brands are 2-3x as much. The $200 one is a Poulan Pro... Is there anything wrong with that?

My recollection is that there are really 4 manufacturers of ALL chainsaws... and Poulan is one of the main makers. Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna are the top of the line ones... but they really have a price tag to show that. But if spending $200 on the Poulan would be a waste of time... I would spend more money in the beginning to get one that will last.

I seem to recall years ago someone recommended never buying a chainsaw that was smaller than 18". Any thoughts on that recommendation? Is a 20" going to be too much to handle? I have not used chainsaws a lot in my life... only directly after hurricanes for the most part. =)

Dennis Puskar
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a craftsman 18" and it does everything I want it to do and it is very easy to handle so I don't think a 20" would be a problem.

Dennis

Joe Mioux
05-25-2008, 10:16 PM
a small Stihl or Husqvarana would be my choices.

I have a 023 Stihl with a 16 inch bar works great. I have cut some really big logs with it. 36in plus dia.

joe

Dewey Torres
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
If you can get the Stihl then get it ... period!
Dewey

Jeff Paxton
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Dean,

I have a Poulan, and you may have heard the saying. The reason they call it a "Poulan" is because you are always "pullin" on it. I can testify to that. I too am looking at a chainsaw for that very reason. I am tired of "pullin" on it. I am looking at a Stihl "Farm Boss" with a 20 inch bar. $354 is pretty pricey. I think how many gouges or other turning toys I could buy, but it really all begins with having pretty dependable chainsaw. If I were you, I would put some extra money with it and get a Stihl. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
I had two Poulan's. You get what you pay for. One I got started once and then is was pull till I was sore. The other didn't last 3 months. If you get one that runs don't overwork it. I bought the Stihl MS 310 and haven't looked back.

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 11:12 PM
For the fire department we have Echo units on the trucks. They are beat to heck but still run. Looks like a 40cc/18" ECHO is about $299.

STIHL is a bit harder to find around here.

Rich Souchek
05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Dean,
The best reference forum for chainsaws is the arboristsite.com, in the chainsaw section. I'll summarize what I've learned there about cheap chainsaws.
Stilh & Husqvarna are the leading manufactures and make the sereious chainsaws for the profession tree people. They cost big money.
They both make cheap version for the BORGS, but these models are really cheaply built to be competative with the Poulans, Craftsmans, Solos, Echos, etc.
Poulans and Craftsman have somer real big negative views concerning them (with which I totaly agree.)
Makita is good, but believe they don't make an under $200 saw.
Echo makes a good saw, but the hoursepower is less than the equavilent Stilh or Husqvarna professional model saws. But, they do make a good reeliable product and they used to have a 5 year warrenty on their chainsaws for non-professional use. They probably still do, but don't know for sure.
Solo chainsaws - don't know anything about.
That said, I've got 2 Echo chainsaws that keep going, one craftsman with:p absolutely no power, a Makita that keeps dieing and costing me money, and I'm to practical and cheap to cough up the big bucks for a Stilh 660 (although I want one.)
And, by the way, most small displacement saws are over bladed, meaning the blade is to large for the saw to use effectively. A 30 to 40 cc saw is good with a 16" bar, and yes, you can cut up to 32" diameter trees with it. Depending on your use, most people would be better off with the 16" bar and high saw (and chain) rpms rather than a longer bar and having to keep tipping the saw out of the cut to get the saws power back.
Rich S.

Rich Souchek
05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Chainsaws, one other thing.
Stilhs and Huskys can not be bought on line.
Echos can. One good chainsaw sites is baileysonline.com. Not affililiated with them, or any chainsaw maker, just like Echos and Bailies.

Rich S.

Scott Hubl
05-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I have a Husky 455 Rancher with 20" bar.

I use it alot without any problems. Good saw.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Woodnet/Husky-box-web.jpg

Starts easy, and has cut anything I have put it up against.

Glad I spent the extra money on it.

Ken Glass
05-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Dean,
I have had nothing but great success with the two Poulan saws I have owned. One is 30 years old and the only reason I bought another one is getting parts got too hard. It always started the second pull. ( Winter or summer) The new one is the Poulan Pro. I bought it this last winter at HD for $159.00 with a case. No, it is not a Husky or Stihl, but for the amount of wood I cut for Turning it is ample. It has an 18" bar and 42cc motor. The old Poulan was used to heat my 2000 sq. ft. house for ten years and never failed me. If I were to going to cut a huge amount of wood, I would probably opt for a more expensive brand, but not as a Turner. Just my .02 worth.

Richard Madison
05-26-2008, 12:07 AM
A couple years ago I bought an Echo CS440 w/ 18" bar, mostly because my 25 year old Echo trimmer still starts and runs well (as long as it gets a new spark plug every 4 or 5 years). Really wanted a bigger saw, but the weight was a consideration. It seemed a bit underpowered at first, but after replacing the "anti-kickback" chain with a proper one, and the first couple tanks of fuel break-in time it starts reliably and cuts well.

And my usual-- Suggest use of 89 octane gas and Sta-bil or other fuel stabilizer product in all small engine fuel, all year round. Helps keep those teeny carburetors from getting gunked up.

Edit: The Echo replaced a 10 year old Mac that I couldn't get parts for.

Wayne Cannon
05-26-2008, 1:14 AM
You can't go wrong with Stihl or Husky. The other manufacturers have some products in their line that are designed for a low price-point and not reliability, even though they have excellent products in their line, as well. Best bet -- consult your local small-engine repair and tune-up shop with a description of the purpose for which you want your saw (they may have a bias if they also sell a brand of saws).

Barry Reade
05-26-2008, 6:20 AM
I have had two chainsaws in the last 30 yrs. The first was a Poulan 306A (had points back then, no black box ignition) with a 20" Bar. I used that saw for 20 yrs and cut over 100 cords of wood. I wore out two bars and 6 chains and it was still running the day I sold it for $75. The last few years the carburetor was wore out and wouldn't stay in tune for a tank of fuel. Had to adjust it all the time but, I was to cheap to buy a new carb. We the Poulan went away I ponied up for a Stihl 039 Farm Boss and it has been a total delight. If I had anything negative to say it would be that it is more saw than I need most of the time. It will sit for months and then fire up with just a couple of pulls. If you want a saw that is maintenance free (kind of an oxymoron) I would save up and get a Stihl. I have used the Huskys and they are nice saws also.

Darryl Hansen
05-26-2008, 7:05 AM
Chainsaws, one other thing.
Stilhs and Huskys can not be bought on line.
Echos can. One good chainsaw sites is baileysonline.com. Not affililiated with them, or any chainsaw maker, just like Echos and Bailies.

Rich S.

Husky's can be bought on the net. www.npeco.com sells them with two free chains usually. One thing about Sthil's is that you can only get parts and service from a Sthil dealer. Husky's can be serviced and get parts more easily.

Poulan is made bey the electrolux (vacuum) people. If you get one get the one with the coated valves. The Pro line is the only way to go with them.

Terry Quiram
05-26-2008, 7:10 AM
Dean

My experience with Poulan was not a very good one. It didn't seem to have enough rpm as a result it didn't cut worth a hoot. I replaced it with a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar. I added a second saw by getting a Husky 394 with a 32" bar. I use the 394 first cause it will wear you out in a hurry.

Terry

George Sanders
05-26-2008, 7:15 AM
If you only want to buy one chainsaw, buy a Stihl. I have a Still Farm Boss to cut osage orange and it never balks. Buy once, buy a Stihl!

Bill Blasic
05-26-2008, 7:26 AM
Stihl saws cannot be bought at a borg. Dealers only. I have an 066 (heavy beast), a 180 (light weight, 14" bar) and a 290 Farm Boss (13 # medium duty 18" bar). Generally you will get what you pay for. I also have a Poulan Wild Thing (pre chain brake) that has given me good service but takes a lot of fiddling with to get through a day of cutting where the Stihl's just cut period, day in day out. With any saw use high test fuel. I like dependable and I'm willing to pay a little more for it.

Don Eddard
05-26-2008, 7:33 AM
I got tired of fighting my Poulan and bought a Stihl MS390. If you buy a cheap saw, you'll likely end up replacing it like I did. If you're planning to use it much, save some money and just buy a Stihl or non-Borg Husky from the start, and you'll be money ahead in the long run. Talk to your local chainsaw shop. Find out which brands they recommend and why. Also ask which ones are easier for them to get parts for.

Dean Matthews
05-26-2008, 9:19 AM
Thank you for all the advice!

As much as I would love to drop $400 - $500 on a chainsaw... I really don't think I can pull that trigger right now.

Cost/cc/bar size wise I have been debating over the Echo CS440 and the CS400. They both run around $300. The CS400 is the new one they have with the electronic ignition and automotive style air filters.

To be honest, I don't intend to drop a lot of trees. I want a saw that I may use a couple of times a year on stuff that is already down.

I have hemmed and hawed over buying a chainsaw for years... seems like a lot of cash to spend on something you are not going to use all the time. The tablesaw and bandsaw were easy to justify... the chainsaw not so much.

But... recently a LOT of people around here have been dropping trees. My neighbor has a giant pile of oak in his yard right now. And I have a maple that needs to go... That and a bunch of the guys at work know that I turn so people are offering me logs all the time now. I just currently don't have a good way to process.

The drought tore up a LOT of trees... The upper portion of them are leaf less and they are just not looking happy. As a result turners in NC are going to be happy for a while.

Still looking to see if I can get a "good" price on some of the other models we have talked about here. I don't need to run out and buy one today or anything.

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2008, 9:29 AM
Poulan is made by Electrolux (can anyone say vacuum cleaner). I served in a court case (jury duty) over this little product. In the past, I've gone through 3 Poulan saws....but a good buddy of mine ran an Echo CS that would cut like nobody's business. When it finally gave out, he bought a Huskqvarna and never looked back. I bought a Stihl MS361 and have never looked back either.

Stihl, Huskqvarna, and Jonsred have been top chainsaw brands for a long time. You buy it once and as long as you take good care of it? It'll be around for "your kids".

Glenn Hodges
05-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I have 3 Huskys. The largest has a 32 in. blade on it and the smallest is the Ranger which I use the most.

Barry Reade
05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
[quote=Dean Matthews;859676]Thank you for all the advice! As much as I would love to drop $400 - $500 on a chainsaw... I really don't think I can pull that trigger right now. [quote]

BTDT. I am sure you will get the most bang for the buck that you can. Let us know when and what you get. IMWTK!

Curt Fuller
05-26-2008, 10:41 AM
In all the threads about chainsaws I've read, I've never heard anyone say, "I wish I would have bought a smaller, cheaper saw". If you're trimming the trees in you yard, you can probably get away with most any saw. But when the neighbors 40" maple full of curly bowl blanks blows over, there's no substitute for a big Stihl or Husky.

Jason Roehl
05-26-2008, 1:13 PM
Being 6' tall, I'm one who advocates not going any smaller than a 20" for cutting wood laying on the ground. I've done some with a 16" bar before, and it killed my back, even though it was a lighter saw. Once you go over 20", though, you start to pay a heavy weight penalty, as the bars get much heavier, the added length is more torque working against you (the saw's CoG moves away from you), and the power head needs to be larger to pull more teeth through the wood.

FWIW, I have a Husqy 372xp that I bought online: www.southwestfastener.com It's been replaced by the 575xp, but I did get a 32" bar for mine that helps with the big stuff.

Nathan Hawkes
05-26-2008, 1:27 PM
Poulan is made by Electrolux (can anyone say vacuum cleaner). I served in a court case (jury duty) over this little product. In the past, I've gone through 3 Poulan saws....but a good buddy of mine ran an Echo CS that would cut like nobody's business. When it finally gave out, he bought a Huskqvarna and never looked back. I bought a Stihl MS361 and have never looked back either.

Stihl, Huskqvarna, and Jonsred have been top chainsaw brands for a long time. You buy it once and as long as you take good care of it? It'll be around for "your kids".

Electrolux is the parent of MANY companies, including your Husqvarna, as well as Jonsereds. I have a Husqvarna 394XP with 20,32, and 42" bars and love it. I also own an MS361, 024 and 029 Farm Boss.

Cyril Griesbach
05-26-2008, 3:17 PM
It sounds like you may be cutting up more wood than you think and for that I only have one word...Stihl.

However, in all these posts I have not seen anyone talk safety. At an absolute minimum get yourself some chaps (are your legs worth $80?) and some ear plugs...then a helmut with ear and face protection.

Greg Narozniak
05-27-2008, 8:35 AM
Just like when your buying a Nail Gun check for local support. You need to be able to have the saw serviced and (to the best of my knowledge) you cannot ship the saw somewhere for service. learn to sharpen the chain with a file. It takes 10 minutes and cuts like brand new when done right.

I purchased a used Stihl 026 from my local dealer. This is a Pro line saw that came with an 18" bar and with a new Full Chisel chain it runs and cuts like a dream. I was able to get the saw for $125. The deals are out there you just have to look.

My step father purchased a Husky 359 with a 20" bar. While it is a nice saw, I would choose the Stihl over a Husky. Just my Opinion I prefer the feel of the stihl to the husky. The 359 does have more power than my 026 but the added weight does not justify it for me. My 026 cuts everything I have thrown at it and I can use it all day without getting tired.

The brands to look for are Stihl, Husky and Jonsered (Same exact saw different colors), Shindaiwa, Echo, John Deere (Their CS series is made by Efco, very good european chainsaw company), Makita (Made by Dolmar another very good company across the pond) As a consumer you will never wear out any of these saws.

Dean Matthews
05-27-2008, 8:52 AM
Just like when your buying a Nail Gun check for local support. You need to be able to have the saw serviced and (to the best of my knowledge) you cannot ship the saw somewhere for service. learn to sharpen the chain with a file. It takes 10 minutes and cuts like brand new when done right.

I purchased a used Stihl 026 from my local dealer. This is a Pro line saw that came with an 18" bar and with a new Full Chisel chain it runs and cuts like a dream. I was able to get the saw for $125. The deals are out there you just have to look.

My step father purchased a Husky 359 with a 20" bar. While it is a nice saw, I would choose the Stihl over a Husky. Just my Opinion I prefer the feel of the stihl to the husky. The 359 does have more power than my 026 but the added weight does not justify it for me. My 026 cuts everything I have thrown at it and I can use it all day without getting tired.

The brands to look for are Stihl, Husky and Jonsered (Same exact saw different colors), Shindaiwa, Echo, John Deere (Their CS series is made by Efco, very good european chainsaw company), Makita (Made by Dolmar another very good company across the pond) As a consumer you will never wear out any of these saws.

Interesting you mentioned Efco... I was looking at Northern Tool yesterday and noticed that is a brand they have a LOT of... I had never heard of them before.

Jason Roehl
05-27-2008, 9:25 AM

With my Husqy, I don't have to use it all day... ;) :D :cool:

Seriously, though I can cut in 2 hrs with my Husqy what used to take me 6 with my 20" Poo-lan.

GLENN THOMAS
05-27-2008, 9:40 AM
Somewhere you mentioned spending $300 but not $400-$500. It sounds like you may be doing the same thing I did before I bought my Stihl thinking they cost more than they really do. I fugured a good one would would run about $500 also. After doing some research I found I could get A Stihl 210 with a 16" bar for about $250 and that what I finally did. It was a little more than some of the other brands mentioned, but I think it was worth it. At least if my memory is correct the model is 210. It has done everything that I have asked of it. Check out Stihls web site. You mignt be surprised.

GT

Steven Wilson
05-27-2008, 9:55 AM
The model that is most popular with turners in my neck of the woods is a Stihl 290 Farm Boss with a 20" chain. It's a good saw at a decent price point that will serve the occaisional user for a long, long time. Between Stihl, Husky, and Jonsered I would recommend the one that is most common in your area and has the most support. In my area that's Stihl, in some parts of N. Minnesota where I frequent it would be Jonsered. My personal choice was a Stihl 290 Farm Boss and it's done everything I've asked of it. BTW, pick up head gear and chaps if you get a chain saw.

Dean Matthews
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
The model that is most popular with turners in my neck of the woods is a Stihl 290 Farm Boss with a 20" chain. It's a good saw at a decent price point that will serve the occaisional user for a long, long time. Between Stihl, Husky, and Jonsered I would recommend the one that is most common in your area and has the most support. In my area that's Stihl, in some parts of N. Minnesota where I frequent it would be Jonsered. My personal choice was a Stihl 290 Farm Boss and it's done everything I've asked of it. BTW, pick up head gear and chaps if you get a chain saw.

I went to Stihl's website... Used their product selector... chose Gas/18"/cutting heating and firewood.

Cheapest one they have is $389... I know it sounds silly to squabble about $80 or so... but there has to be a breaking point somewhere.

$1200 in damage to ONE car last week in a hail storm (all three cars in the drive too hits). $1100 in A/C repairs on the house when the compressor blew up... Various other catastrophes that have occurred recently... oh yeah... we have termites now. :eek: bought some plants from a local nursery and apparently they were nice enough to add wood destroying insects free of charge. YAY!

So... Perhaps I should re-calibrate my purpose of this thread... Looking for a reliable chainsaw at or less than $300 that will last more than one or two seasons.

I get that the Husky and the Stihl are the top notch contenders... they also have a top notch price. I have no want or desire to become a professional arborist (or whatever you want to call it). I am just looking for a good overall "home use" unit that will not crap out on me.

Early on someone suggested http://www.arboristsite.com/ for info... I had gone on there and looked around. Those guys are nuts... One guy that replies to just about everything has like 10 chainsaws. I thought I was bad with tools. =) I don't need 10... and I don't need them all to be 32" bars. =) I just need one 18" chainsaw for my general use. Something I may even be able to just keep in the truck.

Now... since posting this... I went over to the department the other day and pulled our Echo off of Engine 1... It has been so used that I cannot see that model number anymore! =) And it still kicks over fairly easy. With 35 different guys using the same equipment you know it gets abused.

Looks like this is going to be a "next month" purchase at this point anyway. =(

Steven Wilson
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
$389 as cheapest Stihl???? Don't think so. MS290 w/16" Bar is $349, add $10 for an 18" Bar/chain, $20 for a 20" bar/chain. Want something for very occasional use then look at the MS 210 w/16" bar for $259. There is Stihl product at your price point. You may need to give up some capacity to get there but a 16" bar will suffice. If you want more then you'll have to pay more.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I picked up the Stihl 290 a few weeks ago. Finally got a chainsaw that I hope I'll be able to depend on for many years. I have a Homelite from many many years ago, and it's underpowered and impossible to keep running. I keep it for...well, I'm not sure why....

My recommendation - buy as "much" saw as you can afford, and then do your best to take care of it. Make sure the chain oiler works fine, don't let the gas go stale (use Stabil or something like it), etc etc. I think some of my problems with my Homelite is that I let some gas sit in it one winter.

Pete Jordan
05-27-2008, 1:27 PM
Dean,

Have you looked into getting a used saw from a dealer? I have a Husky345 and I picked up a Stihl 045 used for $250 from the local Stihl dealer. It is old but it does a great job on big logs.

Jon McCoy
05-27-2008, 4:26 PM
So... Perhaps I should re-calibrate my purpose of this thread... Looking for a reliable chainsaw at or less than $300 that will last more than one or two seasons.

I get that the Husky and the Stihl are the top notch contenders... they also have a top notch price. I have no want or desire to become a professional arborist (or whatever you want to call it). I am just looking for a good overall "home use" unit that will not crap out on me.

Sounds like you've already decided, and are looking for reassurance that it's the right choice. If you need to be "out the door" for under $300, you simply can't afford high quality and new. Kind of like how there's a post every month or so, asking if the $200 Grizzly lathe is good enough, because they can't afford the $400 Jet mini let alone the big mustard. Sure, it'll make things spinny, but you get what you pay for.

Go to the local chainsaw store or sharpening place, and see if they'll sell you something used (along with safety gear and a case) within your budget. If not, go to the local Borg and spend $100-200 on a new Homelite -- it'll cut up wood.

-jon-

Chuck Jones
05-27-2008, 7:05 PM
Dean,
I have owned probably a dozen chainsaws and use them a lot. I agree with almost everything Rick Souchek said. After owning some real losers my choices became Husky and Stihl in that order. I've become a little concerned about what I see and hear about Husky's lower priced saws since they started selling in TSC and Lowes, so my preference may soon become Stihl, then Husky. My son has an Echo which I've used quite a bit and I've been impressed with it.

Get more power and shorter bar. Unless you are a lot younger and stronger than I am you'll live longer and have fewer sore muscles.

I'm not too concerned about who owns which company. It comes down to what influence the owners exert upon the brand. Unless you have inside information that's hard to find out until it's too late. A couple years ago I looked into chainsaw ownership and found that Electrolux owned 5-6 chainsaw brands; Husky, Poulan, McCullough; Jonsered, and some I can't remember. Today I took a quick look at Electrolux's website and noticed only Husky mentioned and that link goes to some products other than chainsaws. No telling what strategy they are following today. The Husky chainsaws may be spun off for all I know. Husky site doesn't give a clue.

Greg Just
05-27-2008, 7:39 PM
Recently purchased a Husqvarna 137 for $179. Well worth the investment. It is 16 inches and will cut everything I need to cut. It I need a bigger saw, I'll hire someone to to the cutting. This saw is easy to start, much easier than the McCollough I used to have. My 2 cents!

Nathan Hawkes
05-27-2008, 8:04 PM
Ok, its a little over 300, but this is a winner for you. Husqvarna 350. I'm not a fan of buying from the box stores, but its convenient, and will get you more saw for your budget.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=192739-572-350

The 350 is a good saw, 18" bar, and will definitely last you more than a couple seasons. I used one a few years ago for a couple seasons and would've kept it but I needed a more powerful saw and couldn't justify keeping it and the others that I have. EDIT: the 350 is 52cc; more than enough for what you're trying to do, but with a fresh, sharp chain, won't take you all day to get through a bigger log.

Chris Barnett
05-27-2008, 8:23 PM
Ditto on the Stihl 310; 20 inch bar and plenty of power. You must have adequate power if a saw is to cut safely.

Dean Matthews
05-27-2008, 8:52 PM
Sounds like you've already decided, and are looking for reassurance that it's the right choice. If you need to be "out the door" for under $300, you simply can't afford high quality and new. Kind of like how there's a post every month or so, asking if the $200 Grizzly lathe is good enough, because they can't afford the $400 Jet mini let alone the big mustard. Sure, it'll make things spinny, but you get what you pay for.

Go to the local chainsaw store or sharpening place, and see if they'll sell you something used (along with safety gear and a case) within your budget. If not, go to the local Borg and spend $100-200 on a new Homelite -- it'll cut up wood.

-jon-

I have not decided... and not really looking for any validation. In the beginning of this thread I really wanted to know if the Poulan was worth the plastic it is made out of... looks like the answer is NO.

And then everyone started posting info about $400-$500 saws. =)

Stihl's are hard to find around here from what I have seen. It looks like aside from some of the private farm supply type places they are not in huge supply. And it's probably easier to find chainsaws in some parts of the country than in others. I am sure if I were closer to the mountains there would probably be places to get them every 10 feet. In my area we have Hudson, Lowes, and the Big Orange Box. Then we have a bunch of small Indy shops.

Tractor Supply is carrying the Husky at a decent price. They are a bit far from where I am. Revels probably carries the John Deere but I may as well go to Northern Tool and buy the efco and not spend the extra cash on the green paint...

Nope... haven't made up my mind. May take a look at Craig's list per some recommendations.

Steven Hardy
05-27-2008, 9:22 PM
With all the wood that has fallen down around here lately... I am thinking an investment in a good chainsaw is in order.

From what I have seen... it looks like I can get a 46cc/20" for under $200... Some of the heavier duty brands are 2-3x as much. The $200 one is a Poulan Pro... Is there anything wrong with that?

My recollection is that there are really 4 manufacturers of ALL chainsaws... and Poulan is one of the main makers. Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna are the top of the line ones... but they really have a price tag to show that. But if spending $200 on the Poulan would be a waste of time... I would spend more money in the beginning to get one that will last.

I seem to recall years ago someone recommended never buying a chainsaw that was smaller than 18". Any thoughts on that recommendation? Is a 20" going to be too much to handle? I have not used chainsaws a lot in my life... only directly after hurricanes for the most part. =)
To start..baloney on the "nothing under 18 inch recommendation.That really depends on the size of what your cutting and how often. I have 4 chain saws. Unless its a big tree , I reach for the Echo cs-305 first.Its durable,lightweight and has a rather narrow kerf.It seems that when I am cutting up a fallen tree,I spend most of the time cutting up the limbs...and the limbs are usually sitting higher than the trunk. If your gonna do commercial work often...get the larger one and develop your muscles. You will need them. The cs-305 has a 14 inch bar with vibration insulation.
http://www.lawn-parts.com/Echo-Equipment/Echo-CS-305-Chain-Saw.htm

Richard Madison
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
For ref., got my Echo CS440 in August, '05 from Home Depot for $269 actual amount paid. They had some saws in stock but not the 440, so had to order it.

To repeat advice for two-stroke engines, use 89 octane gas, use Sat-bil or other fuel stabilizer in all small engine gas all year, and while cutting run your two-stroke WFO (full throttle) and do not lug it down.

Installed new spark plug on 25 year-old Echo trimmer this morning, and it started on the first pull. Mixture is too rich.

Am NOT recommending Echo products, but have 25 and 28 year-old trimmers that run fine, so recently bought the aforementioned saw and a leaf blower. Hope the newer stuff will do as well as the trimmers.

Dean Matthews
05-28-2008, 7:17 AM
I have the echo backpack leaf blower and couldn't be happier with the thing... I had tried out a couple of others before dropping the cash on this one and none of them were as easy to start or as quiet. 7 years later that thing still starts like it did the first day I got it.

And 89 instead of 87 octane? Really? Huh...

I always use sta-bil... it goes in the jugs at the gas station before I fill up.

Richard Madison
05-28-2008, 8:40 AM
Dean,
The new Echo leaf blower manual calls for 89 octane gas. IMHO it is a quality issue rather than a compression ratio issue. Probably am wrong about this, but anyhow for the relatively small amount used it is just easier to buy one grade of gas for all small engine stuff. The slightly higher octane will not hurt the older tools, and keeps me from putting wrong gas in the blower. Still have to mix two fuels, 32:1 for older stuff and 50:1 for the saw and blower. 30 cc. oil per quart for the former and 19 cc. per quart for the latter, more or less.

Raymond Overman
05-28-2008, 8:52 AM
Dean,

If you're still looking for a chainsaw (used or otherwise) here are the dealers in your area for husky, stihl, and echo:

Husky (http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node2367.aspx?zip=27530)

Stihl (http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/results.aspx?lspr=1&zip=27530&dlrtype=1)

Echo (http://www.echo-usa.com/advantage.asp?transaction=search&template=map_search&search1=0&pwidth=400&pheight=700&proxIconId=400&proxIcons=1&search2=0&searchQuantifier=AND&address=&city=&stateProvince=+&postalCode=27530&country=US&radius=500&x=0&y=0)

As long as it's orange I don't think you can go wrong. I personally have a husky that has run well for 4 years now. I do like the idea of buying from a dealer to start a relationship for when something goes wrong with it. They are more likely to have used equipment too.

Nathan Hawkes
05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Dean,
The new Echo leaf blower manual calls for 89 octane gas. IMHO it is a quality issue rather than a compression ratio issue. Probably am wrong about this, but anyhow for the relatively small amount used it is just easier to buy one grade of gas for all small engine stuff. The slightly higher octane will not hurt the older tools, and keeps me from putting wrong gas in the blower. Still have to mix two fuels, 32:1 for older stuff and 50:1 for the saw and blower. 30 cc. oil per quart for the former and 19 cc. per quart for the latter, more or less.

I run 91 or 93 in mine. It also is important, so I've read from various chainsaw and 2-cycle engine afficionados, that you should make sure that your gas doesn't have ethanol (alcohol) in it. The engine will run considerably hotter with a 10% ethanol mixture, and the risk of failure in a new saw is much higher.

Brett Baldwin
05-28-2008, 1:20 PM
Here is an option to look into. The Home Depot rental saws are actually some high quality saws. They are branded Makita but are actually Dolmar which is the German company that created chainsaws. They sell them at regular intervals (two years service here) for less than half original cost (~$600). So for <$300 you get a professional level saw with the dings already in it. Obviously you need to look it over well. Here is a thread I did last year that may give you more ideas.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62944