PDA

View Full Version : Linden tree wood

Roy McQuay
05-25-2008, 7:31 PM
Hi all, I am very inexperienced with the lathe and I wanted to know if wood from a Linden tree is any good for turning. My neighbor is having one taken down soon and if it is good turning wood I can get all I want. If it is good for turning, should I go after the crotch wood ? Thanks

Allen Neighbors
05-25-2008, 7:47 PM
Linden is also known as Basswood. I've turned a little bit of it. It is very soft, but turns nicely...
Any wood is good when it's free. :) And yes, get the crotches if you can.
I'd seal the ends of the logs quickly after it's cut. Then I'd split through the pith, and blank them out, and seal again. Then I'd rough-turn, and soak, and then seal again after they're soaked.
A friend of mine carves exact copies of human skulls for forensic science and law enforcement from Linden.
Have fun!

Roy McQuay
05-25-2008, 8:33 PM
Thanks Allen. So that's why I've never heard of Linden wood. I turned a small bowl out of Basswood to try out my new lathe and it turned out okay for a first project. This tree is about 70 feet tall so I will get a lot I hope.

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2008, 8:34 PM
As Allen said it is a soft wood but would be perfect for learning. I would take all I could get. Lots of practice and some nice pieces may follow.

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Free wood is good wood! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

Glenn Hodges
05-26-2008, 8:05 PM
Always go for the crotch wood.