PDA

View Full Version : Any experience in scraping NC lacquer?

Jeremy Kriewaldt
05-25-2008, 7:18 PM
I have just been reading Tage Frid's 3 volume collection on woodworking. At the end of volume 2 he talks about finishing using NC lacquer. He suggests that, rather than using sandpaper (or rather wet and dry used wet), between coats the surface should be scraped with a cabinet scraper (you know, a piece of thin steel with a hooked burr pulled across the work).

It seems to make sense and accord with my experience with using scrapers rather than sandpaper on the raw timber - it certainly gives a much better surface in that application. But before I give this a go, I just wondered if anyone else had tried this and if so, what the results were like and whether there are any wothwhile tips.

TIA

jerry nazard
05-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Jeremy,

Yes, it works. I put a light burr on the scraper and hold it with one hand, pulling it toward me at a slight angle. The technique is one that you develope over time with practice. Does not take long to get the hang of it.

If I remember correctly, Frid mentions building a coffee table start to finish in something like three hours, scraping between coats. Great story!

Best!

-Jerry

Jeremy Kriewaldt
05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes - that's the story. He'd just been sacked and decided to show the so-and-sos what he thought of the way they worked by doing something his way!

Well I'll just have to try it out on the next project!