PDA

View Full Version : Getting in to CNC

Jerry Sosa
05-25-2008, 4:45 PM
I am going to get a ShopBot with in the next 6 months.
My first question is Were to start. I have downloaded the programs form the vetric site and have been playing with it a little I also have Adobe Illustrator to play with. I am taking this approach be cause I don't want to have the shopbot sitting as I am learning the programs. Do you creekers have any advice on how to learn CNC stuff or is it a do and learn?

Thanks in advanced.......
Jerry S

Keith Outten
05-25-2008, 9:36 PM
Jerry,

I think that both answers are true. There is some advantages to working with the Vectric and the ShopBot Control software in advance of receiving your machine. Familiarity with the software will decrease your learning curve. Using a ShopBot with the software will provide experience you cannot learn from the software alone.

What I did was to learn the simple techniques when I got my ShopBot, the truth is that they have been more beneficial and more profitable for me than learning the more advanced skills.

Jerry Sosa
05-26-2008, 5:13 PM
Were do I find the ShopBot Control software? The only software that I can find is the Design Software?

JerryS

Jerry Sosa
05-27-2008, 4:40 PM
Were do I find the ShopBot Control software? The only software that I can find is the Design Software?

JerryS

never mind I found it.....

AL Ursich
05-28-2008, 12:44 AM
My suggestion would be to read back about 6 months in the Shop Bot Forum. You will be looking for things that you might encounter like loose wires and connectors, adjustment of the rails and bearings. Hold down "How To" methods..... Feed Rates, Bits, Dust Collection, design.... The works... Many have gone before you.... Great Start asking....

I lurked in the forum for about 9 months reading all the posts. Being a Technician I looked for Electronic and Motor posts. The point being is that 99% of the problems you will experience in the first few weeks of learning and using the Shop Bot will have been written about on the forum. Many of the common new user problem are already posted.

I took a detour while waiting for the money in my Business to buy one and got 2 Sears Compucarve units. They will pay for a Shop Bot some day....

My needs were Signs and patterns not cutting sheets of plywood and BIG signs so my CarveWright met my needs.

Good Luck,

AL