PDA

View Full Version : Rabbeting door jambs

Dan Lautner
05-25-2008, 3:20 PM
What method have you used for rabbeting door jambs? I did a few this weekend by scoring a 3/8" cut on the scms then routing away the rest. I have 10 or more to do and am looking for an alternative method. Thanks.

Dan

Matt Ocel
05-25-2008, 3:25 PM
Dan -

Where is a rabbet needed?

Are you talking about an interior door? ie bedroom or bathroom door.

Dan Lautner
05-25-2008, 3:43 PM
"Where is a rabbet needed?

Are you talking about an interior door? ie bedroom or bathroom door."

Yes interior doors where the head meets the jamb.

Matt Ocel
05-25-2008, 3:58 PM
Dan -

I don't rabbet there, I butt them together, pre-drill and use screws.

But if I did, I would use RAS, or make a jig for the router.

Greg Funk
05-25-2008, 4:02 PM
I'd use a tenoning jig on a tablesaw if you have the headroom. Failing that a dado blade and a couple quick passes on the tablesaw.

Greg

Jamie Buxton
05-25-2008, 4:41 PM
I think the rabbet is traditionally used because it registers the position of the head jamb with the side jambs for assembly. If you have other means to do that registration, you can skip the rabbetting. A couple of clamps can do the trick. Or biscuits can do the registration, with screws doing the work of holding the jambs together.

Ben Grunow
05-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Most scms have a depth stop that can be adjusted to hold the blade above the deck. Set it for 3/8" for 3/4" jambs and cut until done. That is how we make them on the job. Router tends to blow out and a jig is tough (not impossible) because jamb widths usually are different.

Paul Girouard
05-27-2008, 12:24 AM
There a few way to cut that joint. BUT as has been mentioned it's not "normally" rabbited like that in a interior door. They are just butted and stapled , and or screwed . The stops are added making a double rabbited jamb.

I'd used a jig I made for my table saw fence , or set the depth gauge and use my SCMS .

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/tendoningjiginuse.jpg

Yes you'd need head room above the saw , and I'd use a dado blade with a sacrificial board on the jig to prevent tear out.

Dan Lautner
05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
"I'd used a jig I made for my table saw fence , or set the depth gauge and use my SCMS ."

Nice looking Jig there. I don't have the headroom so I'm using the scms. The depth setting on the Makita scms is a bit pathetic, but it gets the job done.

Thanks, Dan