PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 315.228310 motor question

Geoff Barry
05-25-2008, 2:49 PM
I recently picked up a Craftsman 315.228310 at a garage sale for $100. It was missing the splitter, had a steel blade, and was somewhat misaligned, but a few replacement parts, a quick trip to a hardware store, and it's cleaned up fairly nicely (other than the paint on the steel wings from when it was used as, well, a painting table, I guess. Fortunately, the paint sanded off the CI part easily enough.)

The motor on the saw is an open 1.5 hp 110v motor. There's nothing too wrong with it, but clearly an open motor is not going to last the way a TEFC motor might (I don't have 220, so the 110 only is fine). Is there anyway to determine if the motor mount is standard? Nothing in the manual or on the craftsman parts website indicates what size is the mount.

I'm not going to be running out to replace the motor anytime soon (I hope), but ever the worrier, I'm wondering if I could replace it with a "standard" motor. I did find this:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp/nema2.pdf

I can measure the spacing of the four boltholes on the motor mount bracket. So, as I read it, E and F on the above chart whould tell me if a NEMA frame will mount to the bracket?

Howard Acheson
05-25-2008, 3:28 PM
>> but clearly an open motor is not going to last the way a TEFC motor might.

What kind of saw is it? A cabinet saw or a contractor saw?

Geoff Barry
05-25-2008, 3:43 PM
A contractor saw, with zero dust collection ability. The bottom is completely open, and the blade is unshrouded. Sawdust everywhere, including through the open end of the motor. I blow it out, though, from appearances, the prior owner didn't do so (at least not very often)

Steven Hardy
05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I recently picked up a Craftsman 315.228310 at a garage sale for $100. It was missing the splitter, had a steel blade, and was somewhat misaligned, but a few replacement parts, a quick trip to a hardware store, and it's cleaned up fairly nicely (other than the paint on the steel wings from when it was used as, well, a painting table, I guess. Fortunately, the paint sanded off the CI part easily enough.)

The motor on the saw is an open 1.5 hp 110v motor. There's nothing too wrong with it, but clearly an open motor is not going to last the way a TEFC motor might (I don't have 220, so the 110 only is fine). Is there anyway to determine if the motor mount is standard? Nothing in the manual or on the craftsman parts website indicates what size is the mount.

I'm not going to be running out to replace the motor anytime soon (I hope), but ever the worrier, I'm wondering if I could replace it with a "standard" motor. I did find this:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp/nema2.pdf

I can measure the spacing of the four boltholes on the motor mount bracket. So, as I read it, E and F on the above chart whould tell me if a NEMA frame will mount to the bracket?

I am not familiar with your model craftsman...but I do have an 1984 113.298720 with an open style motor that has served me well for 23 years. Simply use an air compressor and blow the sawdust out of the motor every five years or so.If you have the little oil plugs on your motor....lube the bushings yearly or bi yearly.Really not somethong worth worrying about.

Tom Henderson2
05-26-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't think the open motor will give you much trouble. Jillions of contractor saws were sold with open motors, and most are still running today unless they were really abused.

I have my dad's 1963 Craftsman contractor saw with open motor -- still running fine.

Blow it out with compressed air periodically and you'll be fine.

Even if it DOES get gummed up with dust, a local motor shop should be able to open it up, clean it out, replace the bearings etc for less than the cost of a new motor.

Just my $0.02.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Mike Henderson
05-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I have a Craftsman table saw and the motor is a 56 frame. The frame specification should be on the nameplate. 56 frame is the most common for those type of applications.

Mike

Geoff Barry
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the answers -- and glad to hear that these open motors can last just fine (23 years!). Mine appears to be fine now - and believe you me - I'm not going looking for trouble :)