PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a granite top shaper?

Brian Groetsch
05-25-2008, 2:05 PM
I'm planning to move up to a shaper to replace my router table. I would like to find a shaper with a granite top for it's trueness and stability. My shop is in a basement room about 50 yards from the Atlantic Ocean and cast iron is pretty difficult to keep rust free with the salty air. I don't have three phase power, so a single phase motor is all I can operate.

David DeCristoforo
05-25-2008, 2:10 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are no granite topped shapers on the market. I'm not at all convinced that the "trueness and stability" of granite is going to be, in any way, superior to a good quality CI top. Also, have fun drilling and tapping the granite for your feeder base, etc.

Brian Groetsch
05-25-2008, 3:18 PM
That's a good point David. I hadn't thought of future mountings and modifications.

As far a stability, I thought the granite would not react to temperature changes like cast iron would, and of course it won't rust in my local environment. The CI top on my Grizzly jointer leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it's the Chineese quality that's leading me to think granite.

joe aiello
05-25-2008, 3:43 PM
use aluminium ; I have built some custom machines. I got some used aluminium plates 20"*36"*3/4" at the scrap yard a year ago for 15-20$ with holes in them. They can be reworked with some drills ,taps for threading , and a drill press. I also picked some 80-20 aluminum stock for mounts and adjustable fence .I used old carbide saws (never to be used for wood again) to re-size the stock ;using 1/4"(max) cuts -- use extra caution here. ... joe

Jeff Duncan
05-27-2008, 9:54 AM
I don't think anyone is making one yet, part of the problem may be that on most of the smaller shapers (ie. single phase) everything is mounted to the top (spindle, motor, the works). Not sure if granite could be drilled to safely support all that weight from below not to mention as previously noted the fence and feeders on top.
Also if you were going to replace the top with aluminum you would have a fairly extensive amount of precision layout, drilling and tapping to get everything milled accurately. It could be done but certainly would keep you busy for a while. I would hazard a guess that you would likely need thicker than 3/4" to have enough depth for the bolts that hold everything underneath, just a guess though.
Your best bet will probably be buying a decent shaper and keeping the top well protected with wax or other coating. Or come to think of it check Steel City, I think they've started using some kind of Titanium coating on some of their tops.
good luck,
JeffD