PDA

View Full Version : New Clamp Rack

Russell Tribby
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I put this together yesterday based on a design that I found somewhere here on SMC. I love turning some left over scrap into something useful. It holds 21 clamps and as you can see it's pretty much full with Jet's right now. I was worried about the weight pulling on the open end side of each of the racks but it seems to be fine. I used 3 hinges on the large frame and 2 hinges on the the smaller one. It has a small footprint - about 15" wide and protrudes from the wall about 8". It's a huge upgrade from my previous rack which was a 2X4 screwed to the wall that I clamped all of my clamps to.

Dewey Torres
05-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Very Nice. I love to improve storage/space. This project probably freed up some in your shop!
Dewey

Larry Marley
05-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I love it. My clamps are a pain to get to.
This makes better use of space.
Thanks for sharing this.

gary Zimmel
05-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Excellent idea for clamp storage Russell.

I have alot of clamps that take up alot of wall space and your idea just gave me back some of it...

Thanks for the post.

Bruce Page
05-25-2008, 1:34 PM
Clever design. Those must be strong hinges, did you use door hinges?
It looks great

Dennis Reardon
05-25-2008, 3:29 PM
Would you mind taking some close-up shots of the joints and hinges? I have tried the search funtion but I don't seem able to find the thread you based your design on.

I have my clamps spread out over three walls right now. And with that clever little animal on the wall I could put them all in one spot!

Barry Reade
05-25-2008, 5:24 PM
Very nice. As Dennis said more pictures of details would be appreciated. It really looks great and saves so much space.

Russell Tribby
05-25-2008, 7:43 PM
There's really not much to this thing. I used butt joints with glue and brads and then reinforced it with screws. The bracing piece that runs along the back is what keeps it from racking. There's nothing special about the hinges, I think they are 3". I did use 1" screws to make sure that I got a good grab into the plywood. There is a lot of weight on this thing and it's holding up fine. I wouldn't hang on the end of it but it does the job.

Russell Tribby
05-25-2008, 7:47 PM
I forgot to mention a few things. To speed things up clamp all of the pieces together when you notch them on the tablesaw. It will really speed things up. The original design that I pulled this from used a jig to orient each of the slides but that seemed like too much work. I just layed out all the notches on one of the pieces, clamped them all together and ran them through the tablesaw just by eyeing it. It went relatively quickly. I would guess that the whole thing from start to finish took a little over an hour.

Barry Reade
05-25-2008, 8:18 PM
Thanks Russell for the update. I am not especially gifted so, it might take me a bit longer.

Bob Genovesi
05-25-2008, 8:42 PM
Russell,

Great idea! I like the way they nest together and swing out of the way for easy access...:)

Russell Tribby
05-25-2008, 8:52 PM
I have to reiterate that this was not my idea. It was entirely based on this gentleman's design, http://woodworking.phruksawan.com/clampCabinet/. Nonetheless, it has worked well and thanks for all the compliments. I have a two car garage that has to fit one car so effeciency of space is probably my chief concern.

Jay Yoder
05-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Great idea! Great execution! It comes at a time when i have 3 boxes of Jet clamp sets sitting unopened, b/c i had no idea before tonight what i was going to do! I needed this!! Great execution.

Russell Tribby
05-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I hear ya Jay. What finally pushed me over the edge was getting another set of the Jet clamps using some Amazon gift certificates. That brought my collection to three sets plus 4 50" clamps. I'm glad you can put all of this to good use.

Peter Quinn
05-31-2008, 9:55 AM
Russell, thanks for posting that link and your picks. Very nice idea. I've seen a lot of clamp racks, but that one beats them all.

Jim Becker
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Nice job, Russell!

Pete Harbin
05-31-2008, 1:57 PM
Very nice Russell! I may have to use this for "Opperation Consolidation" in my shop!

Pete