PDA

View Full Version : Green Wood Goblets...

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 9:43 AM
Okay... I have seen people do it but I have yet to see one a month or two down the line.

If you turn a green wood goblet does it just warp beyond belief a couple of weeks/months down the line?

And this may be a silly question, but... My guess is that you want to turn the pith out so that it is not in the stem, correct?

Glenn Hodges
05-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Dean, I guess they could be turned from green wood, but if al all possible turn them from dry wood.

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Dean, I guess they could be turned from green wood, but if al all possible turn them from dry wood.

I have seen a number of videos of people doing them from logs. I was just curious how then eventually end up.

Norm Zax
05-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Ive also seen one made from a green log but in that case the pith luckily didnt run down the exact center and thus dissapeared in the final product.

curtis rosche
05-25-2008, 1:22 PM
has any one else seen anything abotu making a flower from a green goblet? i was looking through a parkard turning magazine and they had these really skinny parting tools that they said are used by some guy who turns green goblets and then uses the thin parting tool to make little kerfs on it, then when it dries out it warps and because of the different wraping it supposedly makes it look like a flower. has any one else seen this? i looked it up but didnt find it.

my step dad made a goblet from green apple, when he was done turning for the day he covered it in vegtable oil, then he would go ut and continue turning the next day. the only problem he had was that one night he was drilling out the goblet inside and he went to fast and heated it up and it cracked, the pit in this peice is about 1/4 inch from the center, the crack goes right to the pith, he says its from the heat but i think its from the wood. he has somthing against dna, but the oil seems to have worked pretty well, but i think it effected the finish