PDA

View Full Version : Bill Grumbine's Video(s)

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 9:41 AM
Got em yesterday... just finished watching them today.

Good stuff. I gotta tell ya though... there are some cuts that he does that I just don't have the guts to give a try to. =)

One thing though... I feel better about going out and screwing around with logs that are laying out in my yard. He does a great job of explaining that process along with the other stuff.

Thanks for the advice of getting the video!

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Dean - I know what you mean - the videos are great! Watch them a couple of more times - especially the first one, get a good idea of the different cuts he demos, then grab a piece of green wood and practice. The green wood is very forgiving and it doesn't take long to get the feel of the different cuts. Course, like anything, practice makes them easier to use. Have fun with it - nothing to be worried about!

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 10:17 AM
The big thing is the "tangent" cut... I THINK I have a good idea how he is doing it... but not exactly sure.

It looks like his normal 45/45/45 cut but... he changes one of those 45s but dropping the handle much lower and keeping the cutting edge well above the center.

You know... it's funny... I really dig this guy's video... but there is a lot of stuff that I am not even going to mess with. Like faceplates. =) I have become totally spoiled by the screw on my Talon. I guess if I were doing 10" or greater bowls I may need to worry more, but... so far that has not been an issue.

I have also always used an expansion hold when I do the reverse chucking... he mentions that it is more difficult and things like that... I personally have been very happy with the results that I get doing an expansion chuck because I can get the foot the way I want much easier. But I do understand his concerns.

The great thing about turning... You could give 10 guys the same size piece of wood and ask them to get you the same shape and every one of them will get there a different way.

All that being said... Bill is very entertaining in the video and he does give out a lot of valuable info.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Dean, Bill's first video was the only one I had to learn to turn bowls. It take guts but with experience you will learn to do them. The one's that take courage are Alan Lacer's cuts in his video...SKew Chisel!

Dean Matthews
05-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Dean, Bill's first video was the only one I had to learn to turn bowls. It take guts but with experience you will learn to do them. The one's that take courage are Alan Lacer's cuts in his video...SKew Chisel!

I do have plans to get Alan's video... one thing at a time! =)

So far the only thing I use my Skew for is to put the grooves for the O-Rings in on my game calls. =)

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Dean I use all of Bill's cuts. The tangent cut when you get it down will produce a surface that is smooth and no tear out. It took some practice but is a excellent one to add to your arsenal. Dean you are right about 10 different ways to do things. I don't like the screw and use a faceplate. I also use a tenon rather than expansion. It is whatever you are comfortable with.

Bob Hallowell
05-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Dean,
Bill is a good guy I took a lesson from him at his house and bought his dvd. I use all his cuts and the tangent works good, but lately I have been using a small round nose scraper and shear cutting I really like the control it gives me.

Bob

Bruce Pennell
05-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Dean glad to hear you liked the videos, like the other guys said, just try the cuts on a piece of firewood. Yes everyone has their own way of doing things, as long as its safe.....Good Luck ...Bruce:D

Rasmus Petersen
05-25-2008, 1:36 PM
Anybody know where i could get both of bills and Allans, and have them shipped in one package ? shipping costs to Denmark are horrible...

Bruce Pennell
05-25-2008, 1:49 PM
Rasmus woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?deptid=4019&topnav=true) is probably your best bet. Hope this helps, I'm sure sorry your stuck with that plain white, must really be hard to go out to the shop now...He,He,He, You need a little gold added to that new lathe. Hope this link helps. Just had to mail a package the other day to Canada $201.00 just for shipping, $20 more for packing, that kind of added cost must suck...Have a Great Day....Bruce:D

Clifford Mescher
05-25-2008, 5:13 PM
Can anybody recommend a video for green woodworker? Clifford

Bruce Pennell
05-25-2008, 6:38 PM
Clifford what type of work do you want to do. Bill's video is great for bowls. Raffans video is great for spindle, Lacers video's are great for the skew. There are many video's on many subjects it would help if you can give us a clear idea of what you want to learn. PSI has a free video on turning pens. If you are close to a Woodcraft you can rent instead of buying. Let us know what you are interested in and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Clifford Mescher
05-25-2008, 6:50 PM
Clifford what type of work do you want to do. Bill's video is great for bowls. Raffans video is great for spindle, Lacers video's are great for the skew. There are many video's on many subjects it would help if you can give us a clear idea of what you want to learn. PSI has a free video on turning pens. If you are close to a Woodcraft you can rent instead of buying. Let us know what you are interested in and maybe we can point you in the right direction.
Bruce,
Thank you, I would eventually like to turn bowls. Must convince significant other that I am worthy for lathe purchase. Maybe if she saw video she would like. Clifford

Bruce Pennell
05-25-2008, 7:14 PM
Bill Grumbines is the best I've found on bowls. Here's a link to his website (http://www.wonderfulwood.com/). Hope this helps....Bruce:D Tell her the lie I used when I bought my Powermatic 3520b " Honey I get to use free firewood" Mine didn't believe the lie, but she told me to buy what I wanted, instead of buying used junk. Give Sean at Toolnut a call if you purchase new, he beat everyones price. He's a member and here's a link to my thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84458) on his site, he's in the manufactures listings.

Norm Zax
05-26-2008, 4:14 AM
Clifford - Id recommend the Jimmy Clewes video. A really good beginners in my experience.

Clifford Mescher
05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Clifford - Id recommend the Jimmy Clewes video. A really good beginners in my experience.
How about Alan Lacer? Just came from his site. Anybody see his video's?Clifford

Bruce Pennell
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Lacer is the best for learning the in's and out's of the skew.

Clifford Mescher
05-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Lacer is the best for learning the in's and out's of the skew.
Oh, I would like to learn from video that utilizes ALL woodturning tools. Do most turners specialize?Clifford

Dean Matthews
05-26-2008, 7:02 PM
Oh, I would like to learn from video that utilizes ALL woodturning tools. Do most turners specialize?Clifford

Alan just happens to be a skew God.... He turns just about everything with that tool.

In Bill's videos he uses bowl and detail gouges along with parting tools and scrapers.

The best way to learn about a lot of tools... take a class somewhere. I took a class at Klingspore's and I have been bitten by the bug since. It's great for getting your hands on the tools to see what they feel like. And then the videos are great for refining technique.