PDA

View Full Version : Am I the olnly one who is fed up with the $75 limit?!

Dewey Torres
05-25-2008, 2:47 AM
Please creek... help me out. Can I possibly be the only one who is completely and utterly frustrated with the (now antiquated) $75 limit at the pumps?

I realize there are some companies that have upgraded the pump limit (or maybe never had one???) and fixed this but I think it is about 50/50 right now that when I go to fill up the credit card cuts me off at $75!:mad:

Listen, I have an Avalanche with a 30 plus gallon tank and I can't top off if I get down below a 1/4 tank anymore before the stinking thing promptly stops (as programed) at $75. I AM NOT GOING TO STEAL THE FUEL I JUST WANT TO FILL UP AND DRIVE!!!!!!!!!

I realize this is in part because the gas I am pumping is now $4.19 but hey...can I get the cut off bumped up to $100??? This has been out of date IMHO for a while now, not just since the recent gas increase.

Am I alone here?

Dewey

Chris Damm
05-25-2008, 7:42 AM
It's a pain and I complain about it all the time. I've got a 34 gallon tank and have to cycle twice to fill up. You can't even buy 20 gallons here without running your card twice.

Jay Jolliffe
05-25-2008, 7:44 AM
May be they are doing you a favor by not using up all your money at once filling up that tank. I have a Toyota Tundra that I have to fill up & that goes over 75.00 from 1/4 of a tank. The gas station I use there is no limit as of yet or I haven't hit it yet. Maybe next week since the price is going up hourly it seems. I go by the same station a few hours later & it's gone up.I don't think they sold the whole tank & refueled at a new price. Time for a smaller truck for me I guess.

Don Abele
05-25-2008, 7:55 AM
You think swiping your card twice is bad - how about having to do it THREE times :eek:

I have a 42 gallon tank on my DIESEL - it costs over $200 to fill it :mad:

I've complained and complained, but to no avail. The only reason I put up with it is that it's the cheapest place to get diesel. It also urks me that the diesel pumps so slowly. I used to love filling up at truck stops - done in about a minute. Not now, they are way too expensive.

I try now not to let it go below half a tank just to ease the all-at-once hit on the wallet.

Be well,

Doc

Matt Meiser
05-25-2008, 7:56 AM
Around here many places have signs that the limits are imposed by the credit card companies, not by them. And I thought I saw $50 for Visa and $75 for Mastercard.

Luckily I have a Mastercard for my debit card and my Colorado doesn't cost $75 to fill yet.

JayStPeter
05-25-2008, 8:02 AM
There's one gas station around here with the limit. I don't go there anymore. It is annoying.

Jim O'Dell
05-25-2008, 9:50 AM
The limits here on all the pumps I have used is 100.00. I can understand if they let you pump before you pay that there is a limit. But if they take my card at the pump, it should be able to verify I can pum what I want. So far, I just leave at 100.00 and know I'm not full.. Yes, it is a pain in the tookus. Jim.

David G Baker
05-25-2008, 9:59 AM
My card company puts the $75 limit on gas purchases. I thought it was the station so I would stop at the $75 limit until I asked and was told that I could buy all the fuel I want as long as I keep swiping the card.

Curt Doles
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
There are a number of Circle K's in NE Ohio, some have a $50 limit and some don't. The folks working these stations aren't informed as to the reason for this?

Here's a gloat, of sorts. My daily driver is a 2005 Dodge Quad cab with a Hemi, last June, I bought a 2000 Miata for a number of reasons, one being fuel prices. The only time I'm driving the truck now is if I anticipated the need to haul more than the Miata can fit in the trunk.

The Mazda is better than double the fuel economy of the Dodge, but try pulling five yards of mulch with it!

Curt

Ben Rafael
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Move to los angeles, I never pump less than $90 and I have yet to find a station that cuts off at $75

Ted Jay
05-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I usually go to the local Flying J for my diesel. They are one of the few that do not buy saudi oil. After you establish a pattern of going the station, the $75 limit goes away.
Ted

Jim King
05-25-2008, 4:21 PM
Here is your solution. $3 a day to operate and multi purpose.

Mike Henderson
05-25-2008, 5:26 PM
I've never encountered the $75 limit but I expect the reason it's there is that when you swipe your card for authorization, the system has to check some amount to see if you have that much authorization on your card. So my guess is that it asks for authorization for $75 on the assumption that you won't pump that much (before gas went so high).

If they asked for authorization for $200 (for example) the approval would be refused on some cards that were close to the limit. And if you were only trying to put $20 of gas in, you'd be upset.

Mike

Jim Becker
05-25-2008, 7:52 PM
My Highlander Hybrid only has a 16 gallon tank, so I haven't gone over $50 for the most part yet...but I can appreciate your situation having experienced the old $35 limit when I had my Tundra a few years ago...

Dennis Peacock
05-25-2008, 8:12 PM
$75 limit on buying gas???!!!!!!!!????? Really!!!!???????

I never heard of such. Around here, you can buy as much as your vehicle can hold as long as you Pre-Pay.

Bill Cunningham
05-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Gas around her costs 'currently' 1.25 per liter ($5.68 a imperial gallon or $4.73 per U.S. Gal. ) My Hyundia Accent take over $40.00 to fill .. The only time I hit a limit, is at the start of the summer, and I fill the boat using 5 gallon gas cans. Gas stations are much cheaper than marina gas (I'm expecting $1.50 liter or more this summer at marinas, and the boat costs $300+ to fill from a gas station.. This year I cashed in a bunch of airmiles for 15, 20.00 gas coupons.. I do the majority of my business purchases on my mastercard that gives me airmiles, so it's like free gas.. The coupons will eliminate the $75. limit before having to insert your card again..

Pat Germain
05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Dewey, your Avalanche is a flex-fuel vehicle. Why don't you run E-85? It's less than regular. I know of two places in town where you can get it.

There's also a limit on how many times you can swipe a credit card at a gas station. I tried to fill three of my vehicles in one day awhile back. When I tried to swipe the third time, it wouldn't authorize my card. I had to go inside and show an ID. It's annoying, but I suppose it helps prevent fraud.

Brian Elfert
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
The $75 limit is the station and not the credit card companies as they claim.

The gas stations have to have a merchant account with a credit card processor to take credit cards. The credit card processor agrees to cover stolen credit cards and the like, but only if the gas stations cut off pay at the pump at $50 or $75.

Now, most gas station owners are smart and won't allow pay at the pump transactions over $50 or $75. They don't want to pay for $100 worth of gas when a stolen card is used. It would take the profit from around 1000 gallons of gas to pay for a $100 theft.

Kevin French
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I have seen that at night in places. $75 is around a 1/2 of a tank for me.

$4.85 for diesel 34 gal tank. I try to fill up weekly and not when I get low on fuel.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-27-2008, 9:03 AM
You think it stinks having a limit? Try being a retailer and getting a 20 or more bad cards a day.

Matt Woessner
05-27-2008, 9:38 AM
Around here there are no limits and you do not have to pre pay. Which is handy when running fuel in the ol Duramax.

Steve Clardy
05-27-2008, 12:35 PM
$75 limit on buying gas???!!!!!!!!????? Really!!!!???????

I never heard of such. Around here, you can buy as much as your vehicle can hold as long as you Pre-Pay.

I've never heard of it either. :confused:

Guess I live out in the sticks too far. :D

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't hit it, but the wife does in her Yukon (32 gal tank). it's VERY annoying. The comments about how the credit card companies work is correct - when you 'swipe' it, it puts a 'hold' on a certain amount on your card ($75 in this case) - and then afterwards charges you only for the purchase price. an increased 'hold' could result in some rejected transactions...

A few years back, it was $50 at some places as I recall - not sure if it was dependent on Visa/Mastercard thing or gas station.

Mike Wilkins
05-27-2008, 2:21 PM
They want you to come back more often, and buy your Cherry Slurpee inside.

Jason Roehl
05-27-2008, 4:37 PM
I've been hitting the limit for years now. I run until I'm on fumes, and with a total capacity of over 37 gallons in my Ford truck (previous truck had the same fuel tank sizes), I started hitting the $50 limit at some stations pre-9/11/01 anytime gas was over about $1.40/gallon (I remember it was $1.589 the day of 9/11). Of course, right now, the rear tank on my truck has a leak, so I don't use it. The only time I hit a limit is if I use my Visa debit card ($50), so most of the time I use a Discover card ($75, I think)--occasionally they'll run a 5% back special on fuel purchases.

Chris Damm
05-28-2008, 6:43 AM
The $75 limit is the station and not the credit card companies as they claim.

The gas stations have to have a merchant account with a credit card processor to take credit cards. The credit card processor agrees to cover stolen credit cards and the like, but only if the gas stations cut off pay at the pump at $50 or $75.

Now, most gas station owners are smart and won't allow pay at the pump transactions over $50 or $75. They don't want to pay for $100 worth of gas when a stolen card is used. It would take the profit from around 1000 gallons of gas to pay for a $100 theft.

That doesn't make any sense when I can swipe the card a 2nd time and continue my fillup.

Brian Elfert
05-28-2008, 5:11 PM
That doesn't make any sense when I can swipe the card a 2nd time and continue my fillup.

Most thieves are probably in a hurry and won't take the time to swipe again.

The credit card processors make these rules, not the gas stations. Some have reported that a second or third try with the same card will not work.

Chris Padilla
05-28-2008, 5:25 PM
:D May I suggest something? :D

Stephen Beckham
05-28-2008, 6:38 PM
I guess the most ironic thing here is that the gas station has to pay the (usually) $.25 per transaction plus the % of total to the CC companies. So they have to pay an extra quarter every time you have to swipe your card.

Probably an urban ledgend, but heard the 'story' of a fella who was angry with a station owner - he swiped the card put a $1 in and then started over. I guess the objective was to run up the tab in fees so the pennies the station would have made in profiet was turned into a loss... It might be true and what caused most companies to put a three swipe limit on their machines... Hmm...

John Shuk
05-28-2008, 7:58 PM
I'm more fed up with reaching that limit so often!

Jason Roehl
05-28-2008, 9:41 PM
:D May I suggest something? :D

I wanna see you carry a 28 ft. Type IA aluminum extension ladder on that...and a Little Giant, and a 6 ft. fiberglass stepladder, and... :D

Chris Padilla
05-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I wanna see you carry a 28 ft. Type IA aluminum extension ladder on that...and a Little Giant, and a 6 ft. fiberglass stepladder, and... :D

:D Maybe this will help? :D

Jeff Heil
05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Why do they limit my Mastercard with a $15,000 credit line to $75 a clip for gas???? Both our vehicles, a Tundra and a Sequoia take two swipes to fill up. If the gas station pays a transaction fee each time aren't they losing money????? (At least I get lots of reward points and my 401K funds with lots of energy stocks are doing well.....)

I put $90 in my Tundra this morning, two transactions to do so. Knowing the coffee and snacks inside are the high profit margin for the local station I fill up at 99% of the time I made a point to tell the manager I am done buying anything inside the store until they fix their antiquated $75 limit. He was empathetic to my concerns, but said it wasn't likely to change.

I wish they just authorized my card for $100 each time, I pay it off every month and have the room to do so. I did swipe my card 4 times in a row when gassing the wife's Sequoia and my pickup at the same time without hitting any type of transaction limit.

I am just missing the days where I had enough cash in my wallet to fill up and didn't use a credit card.....

Brian Elfert
06-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Why do they limit my Mastercard with a $15,000 credit line to $75 a clip for gas???? Both our vehicles, a Tundra and a Sequoia take two swipes to fill up. If the gas station pays a transaction fee each time aren't they losing money????? (At least I get lots of reward points and my 401K funds with lots of energy stocks are doing well.....)

This is not an issue with your credit limit or your ability to pay the bill.

The station isn't liable for any stolen cards or bad transactions if they limit pay at pump to $75. If they allow a higher limit and a bad transaction is over $75 the station eats the transaction.

The credit card processors figure most thieves won't go inside to pay to get the higher limit. Using stolen credit cards for pay at pump is a common way that thieves verify if a card is still good or not.

Doing a preauthorization for a higher amount won't stop stolen cards since the preauth will still go through. A lot of people live on the edge and a $100 preauth might not go through if they only plan to put in say $50 worth.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2008, 3:50 PM
Given enough time and complaints, I'm sure this limit will be increased. :)

John Shuk
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
This may sound like a conspiracy theory ....... Factual portion... The credit card companies have told news sources that they have no intention of raising the approval that is set aside when you swipe your card pre purchase. Usually $75.00........ Speculation on my part.... Why change this when prices go up almost daily? If you don't get a complete fill up at the cheaper price you will buy gas sooner at the higher price for which they get a percentage based transaction fee. Consumer spending is down so revenues have to be generated somewhere.
May sound a little extreme and I'm not sure I buy it myself but I can't say I don't think the CC companies are looking at every source of profit.

Dewey Torres
06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
This may sound like a conspiracy theory ....... Factual portion... The credit card companies have told news sources that they have no intention of raising the approval that is set aside when you swipe your card pre purchase. Usually $75.00........ Speculation on my part.... Why change this when prices go up almost daily? If you don't get a complete fill up at the cheaper price you will buy gas sooner at the higher price for which they get a percentage based transaction fee. Consumer spending is down so revenues have to be generated somewhere.
May sound a little extreme and I'm not sure I buy it myself but I can't say I don't think the CC companies are looking at every source of profit.

John,
Where did you get your info on the CC companies stating that they were not willing to increase? If what you say is true I am even more furious:mad: Some on here say its the CC companies and some say the gas vendor... what gives?
Dewey

Jeff Heil
06-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I agreed with your explaination, until the Mobil up the road from my "regular place for regular" allowed me to use the same Mastercard yesterday to pay at the pump for $84.70. ARRRRHH. Looks like I will be switching stations....

If I wasn'y so anal about tracking my MPG and mileage for work I would just throw $75 in each time.....

Peter Quadarella
06-03-2008, 2:02 PM
I've put over $90 in my Expedition a couple of times and didn't notice a limit. Haven't broken $100 yet though.

John Shuk
06-03-2008, 9:23 PM
John,
Where did you get your info on the CC companies stating that they were not willing to increase? If what you say is true I am even more furious:mad: Some on here say its the CC companies and some say the gas vendor... what gives?
Dewey

Dewey,
I read it in the New York Paper. New York Post I think. I'm pretty sure the quote from Visa was that "they are seeing no need to up the approval amount for the forseeable future"

Michael Schumacher
06-23-2008, 5:18 PM
Hmm...one way to avoid the $75 limit on card is to PAY WITH CASH!!

One gas station here in Omaha will let you put in cash at the pump, you fill up with what you need, either eats all your amount you put in, or you get a receipt to go in and get your change. Plus side, you get 3 cents off for doing it.

Ben Rafael
06-23-2008, 5:30 PM
This limit has also infuriated some bureaucrats and politicians, I read where some of them are going to try to "convince" the cc companies to raise this limit or the government will introduce legislation to force them.

Chris Padilla
06-23-2008, 5:40 PM
I finally hit this last Thursday filling up the Tacoma. Got in just a bit over 15 gallons and then watched the dollar read-out slowwwww wwwwaaaayyyyyy down as it approached $75. It was enough gas...only 3 more to hit 18 and I didn't bother reswiping.

John Shuk
06-23-2008, 9:14 PM
This limit has also infuriated some bureaucrats and politicians, I read where some of them are going to try to "convince" the cc companies to raise this limit or the government will introduce legislation to force them.

They must be tired of their drivers complaining about it!

Ben Rafael
06-23-2008, 9:44 PM
They must be tired of their drivers complaining about it!

Now that's funny.

Jason Roehl
06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Hmm...one way to avoid the $75 limit on card is to PAY WITH CASH!!

One gas station here in Omaha will let you put in cash at the pump, you fill up with what you need, either eats all your amount you put in, or you get a receipt to go in and get your change. Plus side, you get 3 cents off for doing it.

I've never seen a gas pump that accepts cash. Interesting.

I used to really like pay at the pump before I started hitting the limit, because it was quick and convenient. You see, paying with cash inside was(is) a nightmare around here. Between the people cracking cement with every step buying the Tub O' Sugar Fizz, 3 Tooth Decay Bars and a pack of Doral Lites (cutting back, you know) and the scratchers who buy a lottery ticket, scratch it, get another, scratch it, turn it in (WINNER! OH YEA!), get another, scratch it, etc ad nauseum, paying for gas inside can take up to an hour or six. :rolleyes:

The upside is that I just bought a '89 Mazda B2200 pickup that has a small tank and should get 25-30 MPG in town, so I might actually get back under the CC limit. All I know is that the gas gauge needle was slightly above 1/2 when I bought it from a former neighbor Saturday evening, I've run all over town (50ish miles) since, and now the needle is just slightly below the 1/2 mark--about a needle's width. In my other truck, 50 miles in town is close to a third of a tank...

Michael Weber
06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Okay everyone. Close your eyes and count your blessings. :)

Rich Konopka
06-24-2008, 6:36 AM
Around here many places have signs that the limits are imposed by the credit card companies, not by them. And I thought I saw $50 for Visa and $75 for Mastercard.

Luckily I have a Mastercard for my debit card and my Colorado doesn't cost $75 to fill yet.

Matt,

Does your bank bang you a service fee for using a debit card? I head that somes banks do this and also have the $50 limit. This requires you to use your cards twice resulting in 2 service fees.

Mike Henderson
06-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Matt,

Does your bank bang you a service fee for using a debit card? I head that somes banks do this and also have the $50 limit. This requires you to use your cards twice resulting in 2 service fees.
I've never understood how the banks get away with charging a fee to use a debit card. When you use a credit card you don't get charged a fee, and the verification of the credit card is the same as the verification of a debit card.

Just one of my pet peeves - so I never use my debit card.

Mike

Bob Moyer
06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I've never understood how the banks get away with charging a fee to use a debit card. When you use a credit card you don't get charged a fee, and the verification of the credit card is the same as the verification of a debit card.

Mike

Debit/Credit either the customer pays (debit) or the gas station pays (credit), either way the bank gets their $$

Chris Padilla
06-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Mike

Well, some CCs do have a yearly fee but most do not. Interest is also charged on CCs so that is a "fee" of a different color (if you can't pay it all off monthly).

I only use my ATM/Debit card at the ATM but that is twice a month to draw out cash to pay the nanny (I hand it to her "under the table") ;)

Mike Henderson
06-25-2008, 5:46 PM
Debit/Credit either the customer pays (debit) or the gas station pays (credit), either way the bank gets their $$
I agree. But if I use a debit card, I pay more than the posted retail price. If I use my no-fee credit card (and I never carry a balance) I pay the posted retail price.

Based on the card charges, the merchant makes more when a debit card is used because s/he doesn't have to pay the discount on the cc payment. So in a way, the debit card customer subsidizes the cc customer.

I agree that someone pays in each case, but the customer pays less when buying with a credit card.

Mike

Anthony Anderson
06-25-2008, 5:56 PM
Okay everyone. Close your eyes and count your blessings. :)

I'm sure most here would agree that they are blessed/fortunate. But sometimes it is the little things in life that really become annoying, especially when being gouged at the pump every time we fill up. This forum provides a place to close our eyes, and vent :):D. Nothing wrong with that. I really enjoy reading the off-topic posts, I really gain/learn from the many different perspectives. Bill

Denny Rice
06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Does not anyone around here have a "Swifty" gas station where they live? We have a bunch aroud here, they keep attendants outside with the pumps (they have to reset the pumps with a key everytime they are used) and the best thing..........IF YOU PAY WITH CASH THEY CUT 5 CENTS A GALLON off your bill. I know it oes not sound like much, but they feel they would rather take cash for their product than feed credit card companies.

Dewey Torres
07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I can't believe it first the $75 limit now this....

http://www.yahoo.com/s/914185

Boy isn't this the icing on the cake!:mad:

Warren Clemans
07-10-2008, 2:33 PM
:D Maybe this will help? :D

Ditto the bike suggestion. Obviously it doesn't work so well when you have to haul a load of tools, but for those of us who work in an office that's not too far from home, it's a perfect solution. I started biking to work about 18 months ago and my fuel (and parking) bill has dropped to around zero. I'm thinking about selling my car and using the proceeds for a new bandsaw, among other things. For those stuck with big trucks, the next few years will be painful. They're too expensive to keep and too cheap to sell...

Randal Cobb
07-12-2008, 1:59 AM
I've run across a few vendors like that around here. I asked the station manager if they had any plans to up the "maximum" since I drive a diesel and typically pump about $125 worth every two weeks. When the manager just laughed at me, (really, he laughed at my request) I started get my own revenge (and yes, I know this isn't the "right" thing to do, but sure feels good)... Considering it costs the store about $2-3 per credit transaction depending upon who does their processing, the next time I went in to get fuel, I ran my card, pumped $10, stopped the pump, got my receipt. Then did this again, and again, and again until I filled my tank. Took 13 times of doing this "procedure" to fill my tank. I figure the manager laughing at me just cost that station almost $40 each time I fill up there and just cost me about 10 extra minutes. I even went so far as to show all 13 receipts to the manager after the first time and laughed back at him. His face went very pale when he realized what I did. I've done it two more times at that station and each time, I'll blow my horn and wave the receipts at the manager as I leave.

I figure one of two things will happen eventually: The station will fix their "maximum", or they will ask me not to purchase fuel from them anymore. Either works for me, there's actually a cheaper diesel source about a mile up the road. Frankly, I don't understand why they DON'T raise the maximum, it costs them less, meaning more profit for them.

John Schreiber
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I recognize that there is a cost to businesses for using credit cards. That's the amount the CC company charges. What everyone forgets is that there is a cost to business for using cash. We've been using cash forever, so that cost is not recognized.

Cost of having cash in the drawer at the beginning of the day. Cost of counting and dropping of receipts at the end of the day. Cost of a system (cash register) just for dealing with cash. Cost of staff to process customers manually. Cost of errors in making change. Cost of crime and fear of crime. Etc.

If a business could stop taking cash, there would be huge savings. They won't because it's the law, but the costs are real - and I suspect they are at least as large as the CC fees.

Jay Jolliffe
07-12-2008, 1:56 PM
I was at a gas station not long ago that gave a discount on gas for cash. I think it was ten cents cheaper per gallon. Where I live we pay 5.25 a gallon so the 75.00 limit won't go to far.....They have no limit.....

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2008, 2:46 PM
I recognize that there is a cost to businesses for using credit cards. That's the amount the CC company charges. What everyone forgets is that there is a cost to business for using cash. We've been using cash forever, so that cost is not recognized.

Cost of having cash in the drawer at the beginning of the day. Cost of counting and dropping of receipts at the end of the day. Cost of a system (cash register) just for dealing with cash. Cost of staff to process customers manually. Cost of errors in making change. Cost of crime and fear of crime. Etc.

If a business could stop taking cash, there would be huge savings. They won't because it's the law, but the costs are real - and I suspect they are at least as large as the CC fees.

If you are sucking air and your heart is beating? There is a cost.

Cash.....ok
Cost of having cash in the drawer at the beginning of the day.
Cost of having credit card equipment at EVERY pump as well as at Every employee station accepting customers CC's and money

Cost of counting and dropping of receipts at the end of the day.
Cost of counting up CC's receipts and balancing them against the day's tally

Cost of a system (cash register) just for dealing with cash.
Cost of electronics and card readers at every pump that has to be serviced/repaired on a weekly basis. More costly than replacing a cash register.

Cost of staff to process customers manually.
Cost of staff to process customers manually via pay-in-store credit card purchases AND staff to deal with poorly operating or broken card readers at every pump as well as in the store.

Cost of errors in making change.
Cost of errors at the pump, misread cards, cancelled transactions, etc, etc, etc...

Cost of crime and fear of crime. Etc.
Cost of every person that experiences a CC theft or ID theft. If they steal my cash? All they have is my cash and not my identity and purchasing power of my CC's.

There are Pro's and Con's in every camp.....and the solution is never easy.

Not picking on you John.....just felt like being the devil's advocate today for some reason. :)

Mike Henderson
07-12-2008, 3:47 PM
Cost of every person that experiences a CC theft or ID theft. If they steal my cash? All they have is my cash and not my identity and purchasing power of my CC's.

By law (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.shtm), the credit card holder's liability for a stolen card is limited to $50, and if you report the loss quick enough, most of the time you aren't even liable for that. And if only the number is stolen - but you still have the card - your liability is zero.

Mike

John Schreiber
07-12-2008, 5:57 PM
Not picking on you John.....just felt like being the devil's advocate today for some reason. :)
You are right Dennis, the figures could run lots of different ways. I'm just pointing out that it's a more complex than "credit cards are expensive for vendors," and that some costs are more obvious than others.

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2008, 6:06 PM
You are right Dennis, the figures could run lots of different ways. I'm just pointing out that it's a more complex than "credit cards are expensive for vendors," and that some costs are more obvious than others.

So True John. Now if we could just solve all the world's problems? We'd have it made.

for just a minute or two any way. ;)

John Schreiber
07-12-2008, 6:28 PM
So True John. Now if we could just solve all the world's problems? We'd have it made.
Let's get together. I have lots of questions. If you know the answers, I'll write them down and let the rest of the world know. We could be a great team.:):D

Ben Cadotte
07-12-2008, 7:09 PM
When I started moving Feb 07 the least priced gas on the trip was a Pilot truck stop. Their limit at the pump was $50! We took our time moving over 3 months. And as the price of gas kept going up. They never adjusted the authorization ammount. Stayed right at $50. Finally finished moving in July.

David DeCristoforo
07-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Probably showing my age but don't any of you guys remember when gas pumps only showed three digits? Which meant that you could not buy more than $9.99 worth of gas? Don't worry, this will be "fixed" soon enough. Before long $75 worth of gas won't even get you home....

John Schreiber
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Probably showing my age but don't any of you guys remember when gas pumps only showed three digits? Which meant that you could not buy more than $9.99 worth of gas? Don't worry, this will be "fixed" soon enough. Before long $75 worth of gas won't even get you home....
I wonder if the current pumps are equipped for prices over $9.99.9?

And when are we going to drop that stupid nine tenths of a cent? Maybe we can get rid of the penny (cent) at the same time.

Dennis Peacock
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
I wonder if the current pumps are equipped for prices over $9.99.9?

And when are we going to drop that stupid nine tenths of a cent? Maybe we can get rid of the penny (cent) at the same time.

Just get rid of the "cent" part of it. Deal with only whole dollars. ;)