PDA

View Full Version : Box Joint question

Tom Sweeney
02-13-2003, 8:54 PM
I was just posting about a box I'm working on when I thought of a question on doing box joints.
I'm not sure why but the box joints on the 2 sides of the box don't line up.

Do you cut both sides at the same time? I used a table saw with a wobble dado blade (I Know):eek: & a simple box joint jig that I built.

I'm thinking that next time I could do both of the sides at the same time & use double sided tape to hold them aligned then run them through with the jig. then I would just do the front & back the same way. & they should all line up.

Is this a good idea? :confused:

Keith Melick
02-13-2003, 9:21 PM
Tom

I generaly do the joining corners together. I use a simple jig with a finger of wood the same width as the box joint I want protruding forward of the jig. Place the joining sides together with a piece of wood the same width as the box joint along side of one of the two sides. push them against the finger and make the first cut then set each slot over the finger on the jig and make the second cut. that way any slight variation will match up on the corner.

Is that clear as mud?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-14-2003, 9:38 AM
I make the sides slightly over size, the cut trim the box. That way I don't have to worry about how the joints fit around the box, as long as all the fingers are tight. Dennis

Tom Sweeney
02-14-2003, 10:42 AM
I'll give these ideas a try on my next project. I'm going to be making a bigger box out of Maple with a cherry lid.

I think that part of the problem that I had with my first box was that it was actually too small, which I thought would make it easier to build but actually caused some problems.

Brad Hammond
02-15-2003, 8:01 PM
i generally always batch cut my sides to boxes that i'm building. i wrap them with masking tape (make them tight) and cut to length. this way i'm pretty sure of having things square on assembly.
with the two sets of sides taped together i cut the fingers.
hope this helps.
brad