PDA

View Full Version : And so Craft Show Season begins.....

AL Ursich
05-24-2008, 9:03 PM
Today I had my first Craft Show of the year and I expected a flop with the Gas Prices... I was pleasantly surprised to do twice of last year.... The V Carved Clocks and Signs were a HIT.... Not bad for the little machine that could..... CompuCarve.....

AL

Peter Meacham
05-25-2008, 9:04 AM
Super job, as usual, Al

May I ask what bits you primarily use for your products pls. And that looks like ordinary pine wood for most of your products - any trouble machining that (lots of clean up sanding)?

Thanks, Pete

ken seale
05-25-2008, 1:37 PM
Hi Al,

That's some nice looking stuff you are selling. Glad you are doing good.

Has your machine broke down yet? I had nothing but trouble with the one I had. My Carvewright went back to Texas 5 times and I even spent extra money to up-grade from the Beta machine to their latest model. By far it was the worst tool I have ever bought. The last time I got it back, I gave it a quick test and then sold it on ebay. It's really too bad as it did fulfill a need. If they ever fix their reliability and accuracy problems I might try it out again. But for now I'm looking for a baby CNC gantry router.

AL Ursich
05-26-2008, 12:07 AM
The carvings are done with the 1/16 inch carving bit and V60 to do the Text. Use the V90 for bigger stuff. The 1/8 inch cutting (End Mill) bit works great to cut the stuff out.

I have 2 machines, one at almost 200 hours and one at almost 600 hours... I have had my share of break downs. Lucky for me, I am a Mr. Fix it.... Retired Navy Electronics, 8 years with Sony 4 making picture tubes and 4 fixing Play Stations and other stuff at a Service Center.

I have had just about every problem from a pinched wire in the board detector, bad encoders, power supply, cut motor magnet. My 3 latest were the Ball Bearing holding the flex cable in the top of the spindle wore FLAT (575 hours) and threw the cable off..... The next was a bearing in the Y gear box.... the next was a broken lead to the C1 Capacitor in the motor switch circuit. This caused the Cut Motor to RUN ALL THE TIME.... Likely they will see more of them.... Like the L2 coil in the power supply that failed on me from vibration, the mass of the copper stress cracking the lead to break below the surface.....

I have the updated Z Cable with the 14 thicker flat ribbon cable vice the 16 pin thinner gage.

With all the little improvements including the sealing of the board detector to prevent vibration from damaging the 6 wires from the board to the holder.... 2 LED's and 1 detector... It's a pretty reliable machine.

Of course I fixed PLC's and Fanuc Robots with Sony having all the Factory Automation classes from Gears and Bearings to Omron Programmable Logic Controllers.... I live for this $tuff.... (keeping it PG)

Another Very Successful Craft Show.... Sold a bunch of Custom Oval Signs and every Masthope clock..... The right product at the right price at the right time.....

I do see myself getting a 3rd machine this year.... And I see myself getting a Shop Bot someday.....

I posted a bunch of other pictures here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75307

Personally, I love the machine.... I love fixing it too......

I use the Bit Optimation set to the highest setting and carve in the best quality. It takes longer but I do very little clean up.....

AL

Leigh Costello
05-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Al,
How long does it take to cut one of your clocks? There is a niche market I have available to me and I am exploring the CNC world. Great stuff!

AL Ursich
05-31-2008, 9:21 AM
Cut time on the clocks is dependent on the amount of carved art. The Clocks with the Deer, Bear, Eagle take about 55 min to cut.

I bought a 3rd machine the other day and have a line on a 4th.... I have been cutting all week and finished the artwork for the last of them at 2AM Saturday Morning.

I make a clunky square clock and you almost can't give them away..... The new version fly off the shelf.....

Someday I will get a Shop Bot but in the mean time this meets my needs and will pay for the Shop Bot.

AL

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Al, you keep saying someday you'll get a shopbot and then you buy another carvewright...

Buy the shopbuddy now! The production time advantages alone make it worth it, and you won't have the maintenance headache you have become so adept at handling. If you really like these carvewright machines, perhaps you would be best off setting up a repair depot...sounds like there could be some real future if they stay in biz...

Anyway, congrats on the success, good to hear.

Doug

"Al Dixon"
06-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Al,

If you don't mind me asking...what is your selling price on those great looking clocks?

I'm getting things set for our first show of the year near Philly (PA). We make novelty signs that have been popular in our area.

-Regards,
Al

AL Ursich
06-18-2008, 9:33 PM
Al,

Sent PM. Good Luck at your shows.

With the Clock Cut outs I made some legs for stands made from balusters stock. Drilled and glued dowels in the upright. The display helped me sell some Christmas Ornaments and a friend sell handbags.

Made a tall one and 4 short ones. Sold 2 short before I was even setup. Using Scraps to make money.... The Christmas Ornaments are scraps cut into ornaments too.

AL