PDA

View Full Version : Coffee scoops, anyone?

Allen Neighbors
05-24-2008, 9:02 PM
Coffee scoops are a fairly good staple for craft shows for me, so I turn quite a few of them. They're fun and easy to turn, and hold one tablespoon... plus or minus a tad. :D

Richard Madison
05-24-2008, 9:58 PM
Allen,
Those are dandy! At least one of us needs a brief tutorial. Can you point me in the right direction?

Paul Douglass
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I want to do that!! Tutorial, tutorial.....

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Allen that is a good looking bunch of scoops. Well done.

Don Carter
05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Great looking scoops! I got to do some of these. How do you turn them, Allen? Are they all one piece?

Dan Williams
05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Great looking scoops. If you dont mind me asking, What kind of price can you get for these.

Here is a sight for turning coffee scoops
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/coffee-scoop.html

Ken Fitzgerald
05-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Great scoops Allen! I can see why they sell well! What do you use for a finish?

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Very nice work Allen! Lots of detail, crisp edges and a variety of sizes to choose from! I understand why they would sell!

Allen Neighbors
05-25-2008, 12:41 AM
There is a tutorial online, at woodturningonline.com. It was by a turner named Phil Manzi. I made my own tutorial for a friend here in town, and couldn't remember where I had seen it before, and a friend, Gil Jones, located it and gave me a link to it.

EDIT: Dan Williams posted the correct link, above. :D Thanks, Dan.

Sometimes, I finish them with my lacquer wash prior to the 320 and 400 grits of sanding. Then just buff them. Most of the time, they're just bare wood, sanded to 400, and then buffed to a high gloss. It depends on the wood.

In this area, I sell these for ten bucks apiece. If I have one made from an exotic wood, or with some nicer embellishments, I'll add five bucks to the price. I can make one like these in the bowl in about 35 - 45 minutes, depending on the wood.

And, yes, they are one piece. That's why I prefer to make a smooth transition from scoop to handle when I'm turning them... so people will know that they are one piece. I seldom embellish close to the scoop, for this reason. The one in this pic is made from some figured yellow poplar.

Terry Quiram
05-25-2008, 7:41 AM
Alan

Those are very nice. I am going to move this project to the top of my to try list. Thanks:)

Terry

neil mackay
05-25-2008, 7:52 AM
Al, nice one :)

Now that you have it down pat, how long does it take to turn one scoop out?

curtis rosche
05-25-2008, 9:37 AM
some one hase been busy, they look good

Glenn Hodges
05-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Good looking scoops, looks as if you are ready for the show, good luck.

Allen Neighbors
05-25-2008, 7:37 PM
Hi, Neil. Normally about 35-45 minutes... but it depends on the wood; whether I have to glue a crack, or how much I embellish the handle, or how careless I am with a tool... :D
For an example, today, I had four blanks of Ipe cut to length with a spigot on one end. I turned the four blanks down to the handle and ball stage,and sanded and parted them off in a little over an hour. I had to glue a couple of cracks with CA. Keep it in mind that I had the blanks chuck ready. Now each one has to be hollowed, but it shouldn't take much more than an hour to get them done. That'll be tomorrow, though, because we have a grandbaby here with a throat infection, and Her Majesty ain't as young as she used to be... she used to handle four boys at once while I was at work... now I help her with one. That's the way it needs to be. :)

Dennis Peacock
05-25-2008, 8:23 PM
Tutorial please Allen..!!!!! :D

Ron McKinley
05-25-2008, 9:16 PM
Very nice. Every morning when I make my coffee I think about a turned scoop! ......Ron

Dewey Torres
05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Those are nice... great idea for a cheap $$$ maker.
Dewey

Keith Burns
05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Allen, nice work all around !

Clara Koss
05-26-2008, 9:17 PM
Coffee scoops are a fairly good staple for craft shows for me, so I turn quite a few of them. They're fun and easy to turn, and hold one tablespoon... plus or minus a tad. :D

great idea those coffee scoops!!!! did you ever think of making the handles in say gothic or animal shapes???? you would charge more...or even with a letter as a handle...or a circle for a handle...yours look sooo nice!!!!

Dean Matthews
05-27-2008, 7:58 AM
Happened to find this last night...

http://marleyturned.com/id175.htm

Paul Douglass
05-27-2008, 9:59 AM
HA! Makes it look so easy! Right! Thanks for posting that link.

Rasmus Petersen
05-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Yep he does... would like to be able to turn like that.. smoooth...

Dean Matthews
05-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Marley makes me sick... he makes EVERYTHING look easy. =)

I dig the offset handle... cool stuff.