PDA

View Full Version : Ln 60 1/2

Joel Goodman
05-24-2008, 4:53 PM
I have a LN 60 1/2 and I find it awkward to hold one handed. It seems too heavy for it's size and I have trouble holding securely. I also have a 10 year old Stanley 9 1/2 (British) which I reach for more frequently as it seems more natural in the hand. In fact I just got a thicker iron from LV for it. Does anyone else feel this way? Any tips?

Mike Henderson
05-24-2008, 5:04 PM
Nope, I have a LN 60 1/2 and like it. It "fits" my hand well (both size and weight). I had a LV low angle block plane and found it a bit too large for my hand but maybe it would fit your hand well. I also have some Stanley block planes (various models) but reach for the LN most of the time. And if the LN seems too small for the work, I reach for a #3 bench plane.

Mike

D-Alan Grogg
05-24-2008, 5:22 PM
Another no, here. I quite like the LN 60 1/2, whether using it one or two handed. For really small pieces or close quarters, I use the LN Squirrel Tail modeler's plane.

Jim Koepke
05-24-2008, 7:01 PM
My 60-1/2 planes are both Stanley. They seem to fit one handed very well. Though, they are usually used two handed. The 65s seems a bit big for the hand and they are almost always a two handed affair.

jim

Ken Werner
05-24-2008, 9:03 PM
Joel, it does feel heavy, but that's because it is. I think you just might need more time with it in hand. On the other hand [sorry couldn't resist] I use mine both one and two handed, depending on the function. One thing for sure, if you decide you don't like it, you can get almost all your investment back if you go to sell it.

As for me, I really like the LN block plane.

Joel Goodman
05-24-2008, 9:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I'll give it more time and see if I get more used to it.

Derek Cohen
05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Joel

The use of block planes is such a personal thing. I like the size and heft of the LN, while others prefer the LV, which is wider and heavier. I have used even heavier block planes than these and this can be a great help as long as you are not holding them up or at arms reach all day long! Heft aids in planing hard woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill Houghton
05-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Lie-Nielsen has the Model 102 or 103 (or iron 102, which is the one I'd buy if I were buying, just because I like its looks), and Lee Valley has the apron block plane, all hovering around $80. If you find the larger block planes awkward, you might consider one of those; or a Stanley 203, which seem to go for about $40 on eBay. I've got one of the latter (and the Millers Falls equivalent), and they're right handy for trimming work.

Joel Goodman
05-25-2008, 2:41 AM
Oddly I don't find the size too big -- I find it small (hard to grasp in my hand). I don't think the smaller size wouldn't help me. I'm tempted to put some nonslip rubber on the sides. The Stanley 9 1/2 which is a lot bigger (but lighter) seems more secure in my hand.

Mike Henderson
05-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Oddly I don't find the size too big -- I find it small (hard to grasp in my hand). I don't think the smaller size wouldn't help me. I'm tempted to put some nonslip rubber on the sides. The Stanley 9 1/2 which is a lot bigger (but lighter) seems more secure in my hand.
If you can find a way, try the Lee Valley low angle block plane in your hand. It's a bit larger than the LN - you may find it feels better. It is heavier than the Stanley, however.

But, of course, if the Stanley feels good and works well, you should stick with that. Don't try to force yourself to use something that doesn't work well for you.

Mike

michael osadchuk
05-25-2008, 2:31 PM
when I wanted to add a quality, smaller block plane to my small assortment of Stanley 60.5, Record and an even larger mouthed house brand, I waivered between the LN and LV "apron" block planes...
.....I bought the LN iron #102 because it had a narrower mouth and was marginally smaller and am pleased with it; definitely able to plane with it with one hand and the shavings are easily down to .0002" in thickness......

good luck

michael

Jim Koepke
05-25-2008, 3:04 PM
the shavings are easily down to .0002" in thickness......

2/10,000?

This is hard for me to believe.
I have gotten shavings to mic out at .0006".
Anything thinner seems to come out like lace and just falls apart. I have a hard time putting a micrometer on dust.

I have tried this with pine, cedar, oak, maple, poplar and just about everything in my shop.

jim

michael osadchuk
05-25-2008, 3:35 PM
2/10,000?

This is hard for me to believe.
I have gotten shavings to mic out at .0006".
Anything thinner seems to come out like lace and just falls apart. I have a hard time putting a micrometer on dust.

I have tried this with pine, cedar, oak, maple, poplar and just about everything in my shop.

jim

jim.......oops....... one too many zeros.....

I should have entered ".002"

thanks for catching that and tamping down expectations (smiley)

michael

Bill Houghton
05-25-2008, 4:26 PM
2/10,000?

I have a hard time putting a micrometer on dust.

jim

Clearly, you need the L.S. Starrett dust micrometer, developed by Starrett to test the fineness of settings in flour mills. Hard to find in the used tool market.

(well, they seem to have a mike for about everything else. Why not dust?)