PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Virtual PC

Chris Rosenberger
05-24-2008, 4:21 PM
I believe I have the bugs worked out of my new Vista computer build.
I have now run across software problem. I have a older version of a cabinet design program that will not work with Vista. I have alot of old plans saved under this program so I either have to redo the plans as needed with my newer design software or keep an XP computer just for this software. I did a search on the internet & came up with what sounds like an option to use the old software on my new computer. It is Microsoft Virtual PC.
Has anyone here used this?

Rich Engelhardt
05-24-2008, 5:53 PM
yep - works great.

Ron Dunn
05-24-2008, 8:10 PM
I use it all the time ... at least once per day ... part of my job.

It is a free download:

http://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc

Chris Rosenberger
05-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. Another question.
Is the V PC setup as if it where a seperate computer?

Ron Dunn
05-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Yes, Chris ... you get a separate window on your desktop which contains an entirely separate computer. That computer has its own operating system and its own programs.

Legal stuff: you need a licensed version of the operating system you install in your virtual PC environment. If you're using XP, for example, you need to have a valid licence for that OS. [not preaching, just doing my job]

You can network that PC back to your desktop using the Loopback Adapter. If this expression sounds alarming, drop me a message and I'll take you through the process. Once you've done it, your virtual PC can access the network, internet, etc.

John Schreiber
05-25-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't doubt that the solution would work, but I can't help but think that this is the lead up to a Microsoft joke.

I buy a new and improved system and if I work very hard and do some counterintuitive things, I can make my new computer do what I do could before, but it will probably do them more slowly because it is adding an operating system inside the operating system.