PDA

View Full Version : is there no decency any more?

curtis rosche
05-24-2008, 2:53 PM
is ther no decency any more? my family has a cabin up in the pocono mountians in PA, my grand parents bought it 46 years ago. just a small 20x20 or 20x30 something like that. my grand parents gave it to us 2 years ago because the drive was becoming a hassle for them, the place was starting to fall apart, the building needed siding because it still had the original paper fiberboard paneling. the roof leaked. it needed a new sercive. so last summer we fixed it up. new sidding, new roof ( i had to tear the old one off, the tar and patches were 1.5 inches thick!:eek:) new service, cleaned out some of the stuff under it. but because this is a cabin, theres not much in it, it still has a black and white tv with rabbit ears and no remote. nothing in the building, or so we thought. 46 years and no one had ever bothered the place. this is in one of those cabin communities where some people have started to live in instead of just vacation. quite place. well, my uncle took my cousins up last night, and they found the metal door busted, not just knoked off, actually twisted and bent:eek:, we enven used 4inch screws to put it on. they had broken in, and stolen the only thing worth value, the pellet stove, then went under the house and cut the chains off the canoe, and then broke the doors off the metal shed, (we kinda wish we couldve seen their faces when they got into the cabin and shed and saw there was really nothing there!). imagine how much noise it would take to bust a metal door, break open a metal shed, and then get both taken away,. no one up there even noticed! there are people who are there all the time, the cabins are only 20-50 ft apart, and no one noticed!. is there no decency left? that some one could just ignore a breakin? that someone could be dumb enough to break into a cabin?

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2008, 3:32 PM
I guess it's that people don't want to "get involved" any more with anyting outside of their very own living quarters. If I had been living next door to your cabin.? There just might be two chained up and bleeding robbers sitting on your front porch. :rolleyes: :D

I'm sorry to hear of such a problem. Nobody seems to care any more Curtis.

John Schreiber
05-24-2008, 3:34 PM
That's just sad. There is plenty of decency out there, but so much more indecency. Don't miss the good because of all the bad.

curtis rosche
05-24-2008, 3:59 PM
well, just got a call from my uncle, he said that when he called the police last night the neighbors came out to see what was going on, one of the people up the street said that the person who was stealling stuff was the person who lives across the street, they had caught him in their house 4 weeks earlier,

i agrre with you dennis, if i saw something happening i would do somethin about it, you cant rob places anymore if you have no fingers to open things:D:cool:

question though, what could you do with a registered canoe and a pellet stove, wouldnt some one check the numbers on them somewhere along the line? i hope we get the canoe back and that they didnt scrap it

Clint Jones
05-24-2008, 4:02 PM
In Arkansas that is how "hunting accidents" happen ;)

curtis rosche
05-24-2008, 4:08 PM
i swear officer, i thought a polar bear was stealin my canoe!

Ben Rafael
05-24-2008, 4:21 PM
It would be nice to create a community somewhere of people who aren't lowlife, good for nothing, thieving scum.

It's too bad it's your neighbor. I'd be surprised if he spends more than a night or 2 in jail. After that he'll be back across the road and angry at you. Not a nice situation

curtis rosche
05-24-2008, 4:29 PM
well, the neighbors who caught him pressed charges and he goes to court next month, or thats what i was told anyway

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2008, 6:23 PM
In Arkansas that is how "hunting accidents" happen ;)

Uh-Hu......sho'nuff....

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2008, 6:23 PM
well, the neighbors who caught him pressed charges and he goes to court next month, or thats what i was told anyway

May he get the punishment he deserves. ;)

Pat Germain
05-25-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm sorry you were robbed, Curtis. Unfortunately, thievery goes back to the beginning of time. In fact, while it may seem like things are bad now, take a close look at almost any point in history and things were worse. I think we tend to look at the past through a Leave it to Beaver filter.

Of course, I'm glad Colorado has a "Make My Day" law for scumbags who dare to invade an occupied residence.

Darren Null
05-25-2008, 2:03 AM
I'm very sorry you got robbed. It's not nice and it definitely isn't decent. I feel for you, having had a lot of my prized possesions stolen. Well pretty well all of them, in fact.

So, in the NWO, if you can't protect it, it isn't yours. This is a fact of life. It always has been, really, but in the UK and the US it's been possible for a litle while to ignore that and trust people. The simple and absolutely basic fact is that people will look after their own interests first; those of their family/peer group/gang/whatever second and then -if it's affordable- be nice to the rest of humanity. The tighter things get, the less resources any one person can spend on being nice to random people.
And that's the decent people who want to be nice.

curtis rosche
05-25-2008, 9:45 AM
is it possible to scrap a pellet stove for cast iron? we couldnt figure out what you would do with it

Pat Germain
05-25-2008, 10:30 AM
^^ If the thief was a meth-head, or any other type of addict, he wasn't using logic while comitting his crime. He likely just carried out what he thought might possibly bring some cash somehow; which would lead to another hit or fix.

Joe Chritz
05-25-2008, 12:25 PM
First sorry about the cabin, second, man could I tell you stories.

Anyway, this is what I believe from many years of dealing with the worst people and/or good people at the worst times.

People in general are good. Most people just want to do their thing and be left alone. We just don't get to see them, since they are doing their thing and being left alone.

Bad things happen to good people all the time. Just because there isn't a reason I can see doesn't mean there isn't. I am not very religious but I seriously hope this isn't all there is.

Cosmic justice, Karma or Yin-Yang but whatever you call it sooner or later they get their own. I've seen it, heck I have even been the cause of it. Those are good days.

Our justice system may suck bad sometimes but it is still miles ahead of every other one out there. With very very few exceptions the people that make that system run are good solid people.

Joe

Nancy Laird
05-25-2008, 1:30 PM
Curtis, sorry about the break-in, but consider yourself lucky that it wasn't your workshop. A friend on another forum got his workshop broken into, with several tools stolen, and...an antique shotgun that had belonged to his grandfather (I believe). He got the shotgun back---and it had been sawed off to illegal length.

Meth and crackheads have no conscience---all they are concerned about is their next fix, and how they get the money to get that fix is their only worry--certainly not what their actions might do or how they might affect their victims. They usually show no remorse whatsoever.

We also have a friend who had several guitars stolen a while back. He had put a sticky label inside one of the guitars with his name written backwards, so if you stuck a dental mirror inside, you could read the name. He was out one night and heard it being played, asked the guy where he got it--pawn shop. He pulled out his handy-dandy mirror and proved that it was his, and the guy gave it back to him and together they made a police report about the pawn shop. Don't know the outcome, but he got his "baby" back.

For all of you with musical instruments such as this, or any other tools, machines, or equipment, MARK THEM SOME WAY with your name and the last four digits of your SSN. Get a Dremel or a small engraver of some type and mark them. Drop a business card down the door of your car, or down the main tube of your bicycle. Drop a business card somewhere in your machines where it won't affect the operation, or engrave some identifying marks where it isn't obvious.

I know this is too late for your stove and canoe, Curtis, but this can be a wake-up call for others.

Jim Becker
05-25-2008, 7:57 PM
Scrap was my first thought, too, Curtis.

And having grown up in NE PA, I do remember when you could leave your door unlocked even during extended absence without any mischief...this was back before there was a big influx of folks from other places, of course. The demographics are very different these days in many places and that means more crime, unfortunately.

Dennis Peacock
05-25-2008, 8:16 PM
Unfortunately, the higher gas prices go, the more "theft" people around the country will see and experience. It's as if the rich keep getting richer and the rest are force to pay the price and get more and more poor every month.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-25-2008, 8:40 PM
My friends sold their cabin in the Poconos. They said that things are changing in the Poconos and not for the better. However, this seems to be the case everywhere these days.

-Jeff :)

curtis rosche
05-26-2008, 8:25 PM
well it is close to phili and newyork and newjersey. well, the good thing is that since the canoe was registered it can be found unless it was scrapped. but even better, the canoe and the stove was insured, so if they arent found we get new ones, the canoe was a really ond heavy one and the stove had a squeak that got really annoying every 15 second when it was on.

George Morris
05-26-2008, 9:53 PM
Curtis sorry that this happened to your family,it is rotten! We have a house in Tioga Co. Pa. In 17 years one break in, well not really a break in I left a sign on the door that it is unlocked and please close when you leave,well they were caught they robbed many places. It was two young men one went to jail the other commited suicide that is justice!!

Now 16 years later the cabins are getting broke into again but we have full time neighbors they are all on the look out hope the catch them not the state police... Most are good people but we see the worst ones sometimes!! George

Jeff Heil
05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
As an alternate suggestion, engrave your Drivers license number and state on valuables, i.e. WI DL# 123-45-678-90-00 Any law enforcement agency can enter the "owner applied number" in the National Crime Info Center (NCIC) computer to get it back to you if found.

Lee Schierer
05-27-2008, 4:00 PM
Most likely the thieves didn't figure out that they have to register the canoe to use it in the state. You should alert the PA Fish & Boat Comission that it has been stolen. If the theives want to use it on any State parks they at least have to get a use permit or have it registered.

I would also take a ride around the area and look for long objects stashed under blue tarps. You might just find your canoe.

Greg Cole
05-28-2008, 8:59 AM
There are a few things that were once prevalent in society and often referred to as "common".
#1) Sense
#2) Courtesy-decency
Unfortunately neither are common in the society we inhabit.
I still leave my keys in my ignition at night and my wallet in the glove compartment at night a couple times a week. It's a BAD habit I grew up with that seems to be hard to kick. I'd really have to kick my own posterior if I got up in the morning and my truck wasn't where I left it.

Greg

curtis rosche
05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
how stupid. when my stepdad went to the insurance place they said that things that are stolen are only covered if you are there when it happens. so no new pellet stove, no new canoe. we did alert the game comission. if the guy never took them out of his house, we may get them back yet. right now he his sitting in prison awaiting court. maybe they will search his house

John Schreiber
05-28-2008, 3:41 PM
. . . when my stepdad went to the insurance place they said that things that are stolen are only covered if you are there when it happens . . .
Huh?

Is there any context where this makes sense? What kind of insurances is that?

Pat Germain
05-28-2008, 4:21 PM
I agree with John. Your stepdad has either the world's worst insurance agent, the world's worst insurance, or both. I have never, ever, heard of a theft policy which is only valid when the policy holder is present during the theft. That makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich. :confused:

Jerome Hanby
05-28-2008, 4:24 PM
I agree with John. Your stepdad has either the world's worst insurance agent, the world's worst insurance, or both. I have never, ever, heard of a theft policy which is only valid when the policy holder is present during the theft. That makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich. :confused:

Maybe it's some kind of special insurance for vacation property...

curtis rosche
05-28-2008, 6:45 PM
yeah thats what it is, you have to be residing at the property at the time not actualy there. like if we where shopping for food when we where their and were robbed it would count but not if we are sitting back in lancaster....... but if the guy had accidentaly or on purpose set the place on fire, insurance wouldve covered it either way........maybe we can get the judge to let him out only to burn the place down, then we get a whole new place, with some real insulation ,(not much fit in the thin walls)