PDA

View Full Version : Any remedial action for rusty water in compressor tank?

Bill Zollinger
05-24-2008, 1:50 PM
I purchased a used portable air compressor that contained about 1 or 2 cups of thin rusty water when I first drained the 20 gallon tank. It holds pressure well and the tank seems solid with no areas suspcious for near rust through. Is there anything to put in and slosh around inside the tank that will do anything positive about the situation? Or just use it, drain it and hope for the best?
Thanks. Bill Z

Steve Flavin001
05-24-2008, 2:22 PM
the tank is. But otherwise, not a problem. Manuf suggests draining daily - but that assumes industrial 8 hr. use. You will always have rusty water - never clear or pretty. In "heavy" home use not drained freq. you might get 4 or 5 oz. as a quess.

I assune your unit has a stpcock valve - to make it easier you can move that out to the end of an elbow and drain ocassionally depending on use.

John Cooper2
05-24-2008, 3:00 PM
I have an old compressor that I got real cheap. was worried about the integrity of the tank. I did a pressure test of 225lbs with no leaks. I am considering pouring some OSPHO in the tank and letting it roll around in there for awhile.

Ospho converts rust to an inactive material that seals the steel.

FYI the pressure test was with water so if it did rupture the water would pour out not explode like it would with air.

John Keeton
05-24-2008, 3:04 PM
Depending on what use you make of the compressor, I would hesitate to put chemicals in the tank. If you use pneumatic tools, you would want to make sure that there are no adverse effects on gaskets, o-rings, etc. All compressors are going to have rust in them. They all have air, moisture and ferrous metal = rust.

Paul Ryan
05-24-2008, 4:38 PM
I have been draining compressors for probably 30 years and the only time I have seen clean water was when the compressor was new. Don't worry about rusty water if the tank holds air just run it. As another poster mentioned I would not put chemicals in it they wont mix well with the valves in your air tools!

John Cooper2
05-24-2008, 5:10 PM
I have been draining compressors for probably 30 years and the only time I have seen clean water was when the compressor was new. Don't worry about rusty water if the tank holds air just run it. As another poster mentioned I would not put chemicals in it they wont mix well with the valves in your air tools!

Good Point, maybe skip the Ospho

John

M Toupin
05-24-2008, 10:09 PM
FYI the pressure test was with water so if it did rupture the water would pour out not explode like it would with air.

I'd not recommend over pressuring any pressure vessel, and I really would advise against filling one with water! It's bad enough to rupture a vessel, but adding water to the mix which WILL become a projectile is foolish. Water is not compressible and becomes a high velocity jet when the vessel fails. Don't believe it? Water jets are used to disrupt/destroy bombs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWSiFtAJLZ0

Mike

Bill Zollinger
05-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys. It cleaned up well, and per your advice, I will just take care of it from here on out and not do anything inside the tank and hope for the best. Bill Z

Bruce Page
05-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Bill, drain it out best you can and don’t worry about it. My old Dayton compressor had rusty water every time I drained it – which wasn’t all that often. I replaced the old Dayton with an IR a few years ago and before I ever powered it up I added an IR automatic drain valve to it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17659 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17659)
I paid about $65 for it off of eBay and it has been money well spent, after three years the moisture coming out of the tank is still clear. I did a quick search of eBay and there’s a Milton ADV @ $11.50 that looks a lot like the IR that I bought. Search for 220236662538 and have a look.
Long winded way of saying that few of us drain our tanks like we’re supposed to, so the ADV makes it almost painless.

Art Kelly
05-25-2008, 5:12 PM
I put a HF #ITEM 46960-2VGA on my Sears oil-less compressor. Puts out a little water every time it cycles on or off. Water has been crystal-clear for over five years.

You have to tee into the unloader circuit tube, but the kit has everything you need for about $10. A thirty-minute project.

Art