PDA

View Full Version : Drilling pen blanks

Anton Smolka
04-09-2004, 4:42 PM
Just got my new Ryobi DP120 set-up. Sweet little DP :)

Question for the pen builders: What speed do you generally use for drilling pen blanks?

Thanks!

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2004, 7:35 PM
Between 900 and 1200 RPM with a standard 1/4" drill bit or a Parabolic drill bit. Remember to clear the hole a couple of times before punching all the way through....

Aaron Heck
04-09-2004, 8:50 PM
What do you guys use for centering the blanks? That jig from PSI looks nice, but for $39.99, there must be another way.

Aaron

Tom Wynn
04-09-2004, 9:03 PM
I thought the same thing. Went home glued two pieces of scrap together, cut a 1" deep notch in it and mounted it to the DP table. I then adjust it as needed to center the stock up. Total cost about 45 cents for the two bolts and wing nuts. I have seen others use wood clamps which seem to work well also.

Tom

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Yup....Tom has it.!!!!

I used a piece of scrap 8/4 hardwood, cut a V groove in the middle on the TS and I use that for drilling the blanks as well as squaring them up with a barrell trimmer. Fast, Easy and at a great price too....FREE!!!!

I use a 6" Quick Grip clamp for my pen press and I also use a mid-sized Jorgenson Wooden Jaw clamp to press in the transmission in the lower barrell. I can easily control the pressure with the wooden jaw clamps.

Ken Salisbury
04-10-2004, 3:11 AM
My set up -----

Tom Hintz
04-10-2004, 3:44 AM
When I started messing around with pens I noticed a 4"-wide drill press vise at Lowe's for something like $15. I also noticed the jaws were screwed on so I bought one, made a pair of taller maple jaws with a shallow V-groove in them and use that for drilling pen blanks. As long as the table is square to the bit all I have to do is line up the center of the blank and bit and drill away. It's very fast and very accurate.