PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper cutter

Cary Swoveland
05-24-2008, 1:33 AM
I don't know how much time I've wasted converting sheets of sandpaper to smaller sheets for sanding blocks. All my sanding blocks take sheets that are 2-3/4" x 9". That includes the excellent "Preppin' Weapon" blocks, and some I've made myself. You get four of these sheets from one 9"x11" sheet of paper.

For years I've used the time-tested "fold, score and tear method", first dividing the 9x11 sheet in half, then subdividing each half. I expect 90% of readers are getting a laugh out of this, having long since implemented a more efficient way of breaking down sheets. For the other 10%, however, I offer a simple solution to this task, illustrated in the pictures below.

89197 89198 89199

This project took all of an hour to build. The hinges (which are not necessary, but do permit one-handed operation) are attached to sheets of 1/4" plexiglas. I chose plexiglas because it has a fairly hard edge that will stand up to a utility knife blade, and also because I had some laying around. Any sturdy material, transparent or not, would be fine. I glued strips of hardwood on the plexiglas where the cuts are made in order to keep the knife from skipping up over the top of the plexiglas. The replaceable mat is hardboard.

Three passes with a utility knife and I've got my 4 (or 8, 12...) sheets.

Cary

Jim Becker
05-24-2008, 9:50 AM
That's a very nice idea!

But like you did for a long time, I tend to use the edge of my table saw table for this, however...mark the sheet by bending and zip.....

Richard M. Wolfe
05-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice idea. I usually mark a sheet, fold it both ways, find a scrap of straight edge wood and tear using it. For heavier cloth backed sandpaper I use an old pair of tin snips.