PDA

View Full Version : The General Table-Saw Fairy Showed Up

Jeff Cord
05-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I came prepared since I know "no pics didn't happen."

Drove down to Eagle Tools today and came home with:

It's a...

Had the neighbors help move it from the van to the garage, then got the special helper out to remove the shipping gunk.

Once I make some dust tomorrow I'll post some more.

After first look at the riving knife it removes and replaces very easily, pics of this to follow.

Jeff

Dan Lautner
05-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Congratulations, that's a nice looking saw. You can pass it down to your great grand children one day. Does it come with a low profile knife as well?

Dan

Mike Goetzke
05-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Looks like it just fit in your van.

Nice saw....better make that helper the first project off that saw ;).

Mike

Jeff Hallam
05-24-2008, 3:01 AM
Congrats on your purchase! I own the non-riving knife 650 and it has been a great tool. If you have the Biesemeyer style fence with it, check it over the full length for flatness. Mine had a slight bend in the melamine covered plywood for the first inch or two that was causing stock to shift during the cut. I ended up cutting of that first inch and now it is dead flat.

scott spencer
05-24-2008, 7:08 AM
Now there's a saw Jeff! Very nice. Seeing as though we're getting a minivan soon and I still dream of owning a General 650, it's good to see that it'll fit!

Congrats!

Don Bullock
05-24-2008, 9:30 AM
Congratulations Jeff from a fellow Simi Valleyite.:D That's a very nice saw. I was impressed with the General brand machines when I visited Eagle Tools. The guys over at Eagle Tools are great.

Ben Cadotte
05-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the new saw.

Doesn't seem the helper is enjoying the job too much. What did you bribe her with? Ganna make something for her with the new saw?? :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Nice saw. Nice saw inspector too.

Walt Caza
05-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Good Show Jeff,
Those Canadian built saws are sweet!
(now get to work...)
take care,
Walt
:)

michael osadchuk
05-24-2008, 1:07 PM
jeff, this is the first pic I've seen of a General ts with a riving knife..... please do try to post some photos of the riving knife mechanism (the General website doesn't yet even mention this model!)

thanks

michael

Jay Jolliffe
05-25-2008, 1:06 PM
Jeff....what brand & model mobile base is that. I just picked up a 350 model & need a mobile base for it.....

Jeff Cord
05-25-2008, 1:14 PM
Haven't even been able to make any dust yet.
Started the saw once and it sprang to life.
Started it again hours later and hummmmm, pop. :mad:
The motor starts spinning but very slowly, then pop, the breaker or the overload switch shut-off.
Spoke to Jesse at Eagle tools for about an hour on the phone (his cell phone after the store closed) and he said he'll have a tech out to fix the saw, perhaps on Monday.
I've no doubt they'll get it fixed (they do take great care of their customers) but it's still a bummer.
I will post more on the riving knife later when I can take more pics.
Jeff

Mike Canaris
05-25-2008, 2:07 PM
Congrats on the saw.

How many amps is the breaker rated for? Is the saw a 3 or 5 hp?

Jeff Cord
05-25-2008, 3:21 PM
I run a 3HP jointer on the same circuit (not at the same time) without any problems.