PDA

View Full Version : "Hook" on Scraper Plane?

Doug Hobkirk
05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Should the blade on a Stanley 112 (or other scraper planes) be sharpened at 90 degrees?
Or should it be burnished to produce a hook? And if so...

should it be hooked on both sides so it can be reversed, like a hand scraper?
isn't it hard to hook a thick blade?

Wiley Horne
05-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Doug,

Take a look at Lie Nielsen's description of how to make the hook on the blade:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?cat=508

In my opinion/experience, they have it exactly right. Bevel at 45 degrees, and once you get it really sharp, work up to about a 15 degree hook on it. Don't try to put the whole 15 degrees on at once--I suggest about 3 swipes at 5, 10, then 15--just trying to convey a notion, these particular numbers I'm using have no precision to them. Maybe some folks can make one swipe and put the final hook on it--I'd be interested to know.

The truly main thing I have found is that you want that scraper blade to be just as sharp--every bit to the same standard--as one of your bench planes. I started out a little lackadaisical about sharpening a scraper, because I figured, well I don't know what I figured, but I didn't take care to put the same edge on the scraper as on a smoother, say. Now I do. And it's the difference between making 'scrapings' versus making ultra fine lace.

By beveling the edge, you end up with a single hook. By experimenting, you'll find that you can redress your edge with the burnisher a couple of times, before resharpening and starting over. But the key to a good hook is a really sharp edge.

Hope this helps.

Wiley

Stu Gillard
05-24-2008, 4:16 AM
Here's what Stanley originally said....I found it was a good starting point for me

http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/imagesStanley%20by%20Brunner/SharpenScrapers.gif

Rob Luter
05-24-2008, 8:33 AM
Hi Doug,

I've had the best luck using a 45 degree edge on both my #80 and my #112 scrapers. The thicker blade on the #112 isn't really that much tougher, although I set up the initial 45 with a honing jig and stones where I use a file on the #80 blades. Once you have a good quality edge to start with, burnish the hook using multiple strokes that are not too firm. My early attempts had me pushing too hard and mashing the hook. I eased up and am now able to develop a razor sharp hook in two or three strokes. I'm using a similar approach (on a 90 degree edge) with card scrapers. A lighter touch has made all the difference.

I'll second Wiley's comments on edge prep. The better initial quality, the better hook. When you start peeling off nearly transparent sheets of lace you know you've got it figured out.

Rob