PDA

View Full Version : First woodworking project (Knife Rack)

Aaron Koehl
04-09-2004, 3:26 PM
Yes, indeed. Here is my first woodworking project! :D

I call it "Knife Rack in Need of Sanding"; Maple and Walnut. The plans are from Woodsmith Magazine.

Man, I learned so much making this project and had a lot of fun. Now all I need is to find more time to devote to it (which is what we all say, right?) :rolleyes: All I know is, there's a woodworker in there somewhere! ;)

I haven't placed any finish on it yet (obviously, because there's more sanding to do!)
The kerfs go completely through from top to bottom, and the back segment is angled up, rather than sitting completely flat. You can see this in the side profile below.

For the discerning eye, you'll see scratches, some over sanding, router
burn marks, an un-sanded router catch, some blonde-ing in the walnut, and maybe even some dirty hands that have carried it around. :rolleyes:

There were some pretty neat little tricks, too. The knife rack was assembled in three segments. The kerfs go all the way through the rack, and Woodsmith spelled out a neat little way to do the radial front on the bandsaw. :cool:

Anyway, I'm sure this will be the first of many projects to come, and it definitely was enjoyable. I imagine I'll build another one now, minus any of the errors I learned from in the first go. :D

Cheers,

_Aaron_
SMC Administrator

Views: [Front, Side, Top, Bottom, and Profile]
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/aaron/front.jpg http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/aaron/side.jpg
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/aaron/top.jpg http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/aaron/bottom.jpg
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/aaron/profile.jpg

Michael Ballent
04-09-2004, 4:23 PM
Why is it that I am such a sucker for that combination of woods... It looks great!!! nice job and thanks for sharing.... so what color are you going to paint it ;)

-Michael

Doug Littlejohn
04-09-2004, 4:34 PM
Really nice job, walnut and maple go so well together. I also like the overall design for a knife block, not quite the typical design. Nice. Show us picture when it's finished.

Chris Padilla
04-09-2004, 4:36 PM
'cause you know a good thing we ya see it, Michael!!

Hey, Aaron, that is damn fine for a code pounder..da-yuuuummm fiiiiinnneeeee!

How did you cut the arc?

Kurt Aebi
04-09-2004, 4:49 PM
Aaron,

Excellent work, buddy!

Nice Pens youguys made as well, awesome!

Glenn Clabo
04-09-2004, 5:37 PM
No lights...no keys...no memory???? You must now turn in your nerd card? :D

Well done Mr. K...they look awesome.

Tyler Howell
04-09-2004, 5:46 PM
Not Bad for the Geek Squad! Too nice Aaron!

Jason Tuinstra
04-09-2004, 6:15 PM
Aaron, nice first project. The walnut and the maple are a great combination for this. I know that there are a lot of knives with walnut handles which will match well with your block. Good job.

Bruce Page
04-09-2004, 6:25 PM
Very nice Aaron!

Jim Becker
04-09-2004, 6:39 PM
I think you are just being over-critical...just like the rest of us are with our own projects. In reality, this is a very nice piece and you will be surprised at what a little bit of work you need to do to clean up the scratches and get it finished. And I really like the design...we need a new knife rack and this would work wonderfully in our kitchen, especially since the top on the island is maple and walnut! Oh, well...another project goes on the list. Sheesh! Thanks for posting the pictures...you did great!

John Miliunas
04-09-2004, 6:51 PM
'Ya done good, Aaron! Very nice. Even looks good in binary! :D Only question I have is, won't it be a bit tough and even dangerous getting knives in and out with that piece just kind of floating in the clouds there?! :confused: :D Great first project! :cool:

Bobby McCarley
04-09-2004, 7:44 PM
Hey Aaron
Are you sure this is a first time project? Sure looks great to me. I really like the design and the choice of woods. They go together real well. But, you do know that the keyboard will go by the wayside now. Good luck with the many more projects that will be sure to come now.

Bobby McCarley

Dick Parr
04-09-2004, 9:25 PM
Very nice Aaron!

Tom Sweeney
04-09-2004, 9:47 PM
Love the wood combo & the design is really cool. I like anything with a maple & walnut (or cherry) combination. Great job - especially for a first project. My first flat project ended up in a trash can :rolleyes:
I'd sure like to see another picture with the finish on - it's gonna be great looking.

Dean Baumgartner
04-09-2004, 9:55 PM
Really nice Aaron. Especially for a first project.

Now you're hooked though. Pretty soon you won't want anything to do with computers and it'll be all shop time.

Dean

Von Bickley
04-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Aaron,
Great looking work. Thanks for sharing the great pictures with us.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2004, 7:21 AM
Aaron,

Love those contrasting woods! Great work! There's a lot of us wishing we did as well on our first project!

Frank Pellow
04-11-2004, 9:05 PM
Very nice Aaron. With this good a job on your first project, you I expect that you are now hooked on woodworking.

Did you get into woodworking because you became the Saw Mill Creek administrator or do you think that you would have gotten into it without the extra incentive?

Kelly C. Hanna
04-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Very nice knife block!!! We have about six of 'em in the kitchen and I'd love to replace them with one like that....can't wait til I have time to do stuff like that.