PDA

View Full Version : Would somebody please help me make up my mind?

Will Branson
05-23-2008, 8:31 PM
Hey guys. First post here. Lurker for a while. I'm setting up my shop in the basement. The house I bought has 2 nice built-in benches already down there. Anyways, I'd like to start turning and have pretty much decided on the JET JML 1014I from amazon for $381 where I get free 2nd day shipping.

Here's my problem....I can't decide what else to get. I want to turn basic stuff. Small bowls, peppermills, figured maybe a rolling pin as my first project, and pens of course. Anyways, I thought about the starter set from Penn State but I think I'd rather spend the extra now to get the JET and wait on starting the pens until I turn some other things. I've got plenty of fallen hardwood in my lot, so I was planning to start with that. Can somebody recommend starter tools? What about a chuck? I'm trying to keep this to $500 or as close as possible. I 'm not really sure what even comes with the lathe...

Any advice or recommendations you have would be much appreciated.

Doug Reesor
05-23-2008, 9:29 PM
Will,

Welcome to the forum.

My only advise is to buy a few good quality chisels that hold a good edge to start with. If you buy a set, go for fewer tools and higher quality. I am also a beginner though I got my stuff from my dad. I am still learning and am working mostly with my bowl gouge and scrappers and a parting tool.

Good luck and have many hours of fun.

Doug

Dennis Puskar
05-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Check out PSI they have some nice sets. I have several chisels and like them, they seem to hold a edge fairly well. They won't break the bank.

Dennis

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Will,

Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex!

PSI sells some starter kits and HF has a set for about $40 that a lot of folks here have used and like. The one thing most starter sets don't have is a good bowl gouge. PSI's Benjamin's Best and Woodcraft's pinnacle and even CSUSA's artisan series have some good economical bowl gouges.

I'd recommend a book by Keith Rowley.....Woodturning - A Foundation Course. The book is written for the beginning turner and is well written and illustrated. If you decide to turn bowls, consider BIll Grumbines "Turned Bowls Made Easy" video. Bill is an excellent teacher...the video is well written and shows you how to do everything from slabbing and preparing blanks to rough turning, finish turning and finishing. EXCELLENT video and learning material!

Good luck with your fall into the Abyss. Take a photo of your money, frame it and put it on the wall next to lathe so someday you'll remember what it looked like!:D

Russ Sears
05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Will, I bought the same lathe a month or so ago. I also bought the 8 tool set from Harbor Freight for about $50. It's pretty good though I'm sure I'll add to it as I progress. I also bought the Woodcraft/Pinnacle chuck.
Drop a few bucks on a good pen mandrel, a few pen kits, bushings, etc. and turn some pens. It's a great way to start because it's as easy as you want it to be and very satisfying.
Oh, and make sure your shop vac is in good working order :)

Will Branson
05-24-2008, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. I ordered the JET and an 8 pc set of HSS chisels from PSI. Should all be here on Thursday. Figures, everytime I order something I end up doing it on a holiday weekend. I'm looking around at pen kit stuff and will probably go ahead and order that this weekend too. Thanks for your help everyone.

Darryl Hansen
05-24-2008, 6:29 PM
Before you strart turning anything get a good mask an/or face protector. Orbiting wood makes a mess of unprotected faces and eyes. The mask is mandatory to save your lungs.

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2008, 6:41 PM
Welcome to SMC Will and also welcome to "The Vortex". :D

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2008, 8:23 PM
Will - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe once it arrives!

John Sheets
05-24-2008, 8:42 PM
Like the comments of Steve and Dennis, welcome to SMC. Unlike the comment of Dennis, the vortex does not require a welcome. Maybe a warning would be more appropriate. It's like quicksand; the more you thrash and resist, the faster you're sucked in. And once you're grasped, you cannot escape.
All good advice above from the other guys. Regarding tool selection, I would suggest limiting your purchases to fewer good quality ones until you get the feel of things. When I was setting up, I made the mistake of buying some that I read about that sounded great, but now are just dust magnets.

Allen Neighbors
05-24-2008, 9:16 PM
Welcome to the Creek! All good advice from previous posters! One tip from me... practice, practice, practice, and then, when you get a little spare time, practice a little bit.
Don't get uptight when you goof... keep it fun... :D

Robert McGowen
05-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Don't forget that you will need some way to sharpen those new chisels! Welcome to the vortex and the Creek. :D

David Walser
05-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Will,

Welcome to the wonderful world of turning. You've received some good suggestions on basic tools. Here's the first of two more suggestions: take a class. For most of us, it's difficult to learn to turn from reading a book or watching a video. Nothing beats hands-on instruction. Woodcraft and Rockler (depending on the location) offer one day introductory classes. Craft Supplies USA (and others) offer multi-day courses. Here's a link to their course listing: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/util/workshop_schedule?Args=

The other suggestion is to join your local woodturning club. Most places have a club within a few miles. It helps to see what others are doing and to be able to ask questions. Club meetings help to build creativity, skills, and motivation. Here's a link the the American Association of Woodturners webpage on local chapters: http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/

Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Welcome to SMC. You got some good advice so I will just say welcome.

Joyce Baldauf
05-26-2008, 3:52 PM
Will,

Welcome to the money pit! As to pen kits, it doesn't pay to buy inferior quality. Nothing will make people more upset than having the finish on the exposed metal parts of pens wear off within months. Here is a link to some top quality pen kits and equipment. http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/index.html

Good luck and happy turning.

Joyce

George Morris
05-26-2008, 9:40 PM
Will welcome enjoy the ride! George ..

Will Branson
05-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks everybody. I ended up an hour up the road where we have a Woodcraft store. One of the guys spent about an hour with me. I went in to buy stuff for pens, but walked out with a couple of books and some blanks of hard maple (60 cents each). Going to try to turn some honey dippers and candlesticks to get used to how to operate this new gadget. The man at the shop said I should practice on that sort of stuff before pens, because the final product on a pen is so thin.