PDA

View Full Version : Shop Partion Wall Advice

gary Zimmel
05-23-2008, 8:15 PM
I need a little help from my fellow creekers.

I am planning on putting up a partition wall to split my shop in two. My dilemma is that I have in floor heating and am wondering what is the best way to fasten the wall to the floor?

Can't use a hilti nail, my luck I will hit a line. I will be hanging cabinets down the road on it so i want to make sure it doesn't move.

My guess would be an adhesive or glue but what kind???

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Russell
05-23-2008, 8:49 PM
What kind of floor is it?

regis helaine
05-23-2008, 8:53 PM
i would go with glue...not sure it is worth the risk to drill the floor if it is concrete.

if it is wood maybe you could take part of the floor off to see where the tubes are.

gary Zimmel
05-23-2008, 9:09 PM
Sorry,

The floor is concrete, so no telling where the lines are.

Jim Becker
05-23-2008, 9:49 PM
There are various formulas of construction adhesive with various amounts of "give". You want the stuff that sticks fast (be sure you have the exact position carefully calculated and marked). Talk to your local full service lumber yard about your application and they can get you set up with the right stuff. You may not be able to get it at the 'borg...

Greg Funk
05-24-2008, 1:08 AM
What's the matter you don't like Russian Roulette?:)

The builders here just glue it down with PL400. Since it is not a bearing wall there will be very little in the way of lateral forces to move the wall.

When we built our house I took pictures of all the pipes in the floors in case I ever needed to shoot nails into the floor.

Greg

Mike Lush
05-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi,

If you use an infra-red gun, you should be able to pinpoint where your tubes are running under the concrete. Guns are cheap or are usually in a rental place.

I would think twice about damaging the floor myself, just in case you ever decide to move the wall or move to another house. There's nothing worse then having to remove a wall and looking at a damaged floor.

-Mike

Matt Ocel
05-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Gary -

I use PL-200 or 400.

I drive shims between the top plate and the ceiling for downward pressure and on the bottom plate I nail a temporary cleat and anchor it to a fixed wall.
Let it sit over night.

NO fatseners into the floor!!!!!!!!!! Unless you want a pond.

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Gary - how did it go?

Jerry McFalls
06-10-2008, 2:54 PM
If you turn on the heat you can see your waterlines with an infrared camera and drive as many hilti nails as you please. :)