PDA

View Full Version : A Teaser

Dave Anderson NH
04-09-2004, 2:28 PM
I took today off to catch up on things and clean the house under SWMBO's orders since Doug and Ben from Shepherd Tool are arriving this evening to spend two nites with us. My boss called me and told me the tool chest my uncle shipped me from Idaho had arrived at my office. NO way was I gonna wait on this one so I went and picked it up. This is the second of the chests which I have the good fortune to be the sixth generation custodian of. The contents were jumbled, the chest is dirty, and the interior is banged up a bit with age and lack recent care. A preliminary exam shows saws by Disston, Atkins, Wilkerson, and Bishop. There are also some spokeshaves, drawknives, and a bunch of gouges and chisels by Buck Bros and some others.

The tease is this: with the infill plane demo and class tomorrow at the Homestead School for our guild and visitors I won't be posting any picture until I get a good idea what's there on Sunday. This is truly a treasure trove and the family connection makes it even more valuable to me.

Tom Scott
04-09-2004, 5:07 PM
A teaser, eh? Sounds like you've been taking lessons from Rob Lee.

Dave Anderson NH
04-09-2004, 5:51 PM
A teaser, eh? Sounds like you've been taking lessons from Rob Lee.

I have taken lessons from him Tom, but I'll always be a rank amateur compared to Rob. When the new spokeshaves were still unannounced he send me a pdf file of the back page of the upcoming monthly flier. Not only is that a tease, it's downright sadistic. :eek: Of course he knew I couldn't resist and I didn't.

Rob Lee
04-09-2004, 6:28 PM
I have taken lessons from him Tom, but I'll always be a rank amateur compared to Rob. When the new spokeshaves were still unannounced he send me a pdf file of the back page of the upcoming monthly flier. Not only is that a tease, it's downright sadistic. :eek: Of course he knew I couldn't resist and I didn't.

...want a PDF of June? ;)

Noticed there were still a few open spaces on your racks, is all.....there should be at least three things of immediate interest.

First there's the ....

Ooops - gotta go, dinner's on....

Cheers,

Rob

John Miliunas
04-09-2004, 6:55 PM
...want a PDF of June? ;)

Noticed there were still a few open spaces on your racks, is all.....there should be at least three things of immediate interest.

First there's the ....

Ooops - gotta go, dinner's on....

Cheers,

Rob

'Ya see there! *This* is one of the reasons I don't hang much at the Neander side! You guys are worse than us electron killing bunch! :D

Congrats on the inheritance! I'm sure the tools will have a splendid new home. :cool:

Lloyd Robins
04-09-2004, 8:04 PM
This is a double reply.

Dave: Congratulations on your inheritance! I look forward to hearing more.

ROB, QUIT IT (unless you want to give us a little more info!)

Dennis McDonaugh
04-09-2004, 9:08 PM
That's great Dave, you can't buy what that chest holds for you and your family. I come from a long line of tradesman, but there weren't many tools passed down to my generation. I can still remember sitting at my grandfather's workbench while a coal fire burned in the cast iron stove. All I could find when my father passed away was one Stanley #5 with my grandfather's initials on it. Man what I would give to have something like your chest.

Rob Lee
04-10-2004, 10:54 AM
This is a double reply.

Dave: Congratulations on your inheritance! I look forward to hearing more.

ROB, QUIT IT (unless you want to give us a little more info!)

Ok Lloyd -

~#90, ~#164 1/2, ~LA SS #2

"~" - sorta like...

Cheers -

Rob

Lloyd Robins
04-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Ok Lloyd -

"~" - sorta like...

Cheers -

Rob

Cool! Thanks.

Bart Leetch
04-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Ok Lloyd -

"~" - sorta like...

Cheers -

Rob

Wow Rob I could really use these what for I have no earthly idea. I'll bet they would make a real sharp paper weights. I'm sure if I saw them I may even know what their used for.

Actually I do collect older pe-owned tools nothing to compare to the Teaser. Of course you do need a sense of humor to be like the Teaser & I am working on this. :) :) :D

Tyler Howell
04-10-2004, 1:22 PM
Don't Mess with me now! I'm a man on the edge and don't take kindley to teasing.
Congrats Dave, I know you have been waiting for this.;)

Matt Woodworth
04-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Six generations, holy smokes. That's really great Dave. I look forward to the pictures.

Matthew Springer
04-12-2004, 12:35 PM
BTW Rob,
Massive kudos on those new spokeshaves. I had never used a spoke shake at all before, but bought the set to carve down a stratocaster neck that came from the factory a bit over thick. Worked like a charm. And beautiful tools to boot.

-Matthew

James Carmichael
04-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Six generations, holy smokes. That's really great Dave. I look forward to the pictures.

No kidding Matt, I'm impressed. Even though my family can be traced back to the Revolutionary War and all us Carmichael's are frugal Ulster Scott packrats, we're doing good to pass from one generation to the next. Not many heirlooms made it over from Scottland, down the Applachian Trail, and on to Texas :D