PDA

View Full Version : Link belt and Steel City drill press

Peter Quadarella
05-23-2008, 4:11 PM
I picked up a link belt, because of all the great things I've heard about them. I'm considering putting one on my bandsaw and one on my drill press. I just attempted to put one on my Steel City drill press, and it won't stay on - it keeps slipping off the pulley attached to the motor. Anyone have any tips or tricks regarding this?

glenn bradley
05-23-2008, 4:19 PM
Link belts come in different sizes. For example to replace a 3/8" regular belt there is a 3/8" link belt equivalent. I replaced the two 1/2" belts on my Delta DP with 1/2" link belts and have no problems. It sounds like the link belt size it too large (as a guess).

Wait a minute. The manual for your DP says it uses a poly-v belt. You cannot use link belts on this type of pulley; they only replace v-belts. I have one on almost everything in my shop that will take one though.

Peter Quadarella
05-23-2008, 4:25 PM
Aha, you see I am not wise in the ways of these belts. I've never messed around with a motor before.

So, what's the difference between a poly-v belt and a v-belt?

I will also measure the width to see if I got the right one - I can probably use it on my Grizzly G0513X2 (anyone try this?).

Edit: It's the grooves on the inside of the belt that make the difference, isn't it?

glenn bradley
05-23-2008, 4:57 PM
Aha, you see I am not wise in the ways of these belts. I've never messed around with a motor before.

So, what's the difference between a poly-v belt and a v-belt?

I will also measure the width to see if I got the right one - I can probably use it on my Grizzly G0513X2 (anyone try this?).

Edit: It's the grooves on the inside of the belt that make the difference, isn't it?

The poly-v belt (like I have on my tablesaw) is basically flat on the outside and has 3 to 5 little v-grooves running around the inside. These little grooves mesh with the little peaks on the pulleys. A link belt is made to replace a v-belt which is one big wedge-shaped doo-jobber.

Poly 89183
V 89184

I plan to put a link belt on my G0513X. Should be no problem.

Steve Flavin001
05-23-2008, 5:20 PM
different belts you are referring to. :eek:

Link belts like below can replace V-belts and are adjusted by adding or removing links as the name implies - just like when you used to be in camp crafts - remember? :rolleyes:

Lot's of people like link belts - I found they run quietly but lose lots of torque. And, if you are doing this for that reason, the vibration is better fixed than concealed by a link belt effort.

Poly belts as graciously supplied by Glenn need a polly pulley which may or may not be available for your saw - for a drill press? I see no way.

A poly pulley won't fit in most conventional saws due to clearance limitations. That's why hybrids DO, because they allow the extra width among other unique design differences.

Peter Quadarella
05-23-2008, 6:44 PM
My drill press does have pulleys (and belts) with the grooves, as pictured in Glenn's picture. So I guess that's a poly belt.

I'll go put the belt on my bandsaw and check out the difference, thanks :).

Randal Cobb
05-23-2008, 6:48 PM
My drill press does have pulleys (and belts) with the grooves, as pictured in Glenn's picture. So I guess that's a poly belt.

I'll go put the belt on my bandsaw and check out the difference, thanks :).

I'll bet that you WON'T put it on your bandsaw either... IIRC (I know mine does) Steel City uses the Poly-V belts on their bandsaws as well. At least the 14" ones have the Poly-V belts.

As another poster said, if you're adding the belt to help mask a wobble, you'll do better (IMHO) to find the reason for the wobble and fix it.

Peter Quadarella
05-24-2008, 2:09 AM
As I mentioned, I have a 17" Grizzly bandsaw, not a Steel City one, and I'm pretty sure it takes regular v belts. Sometimes the reason (i.e. root cause) for vibration is memory in the belt material, which doesn't occur in a link belt.

Steve Flavin001
05-24-2008, 6:08 AM
I agree with your general comment about belt memory possibly causing vibration. While the vibration tends to go away with a retail consumer link belt, it doesn't seem to solve the problem but rather conceal it.

For example, there are A-Type and B-Type industry standards for pitch of pulleys, about which I want to be the first to acknowledge total ignorance, as well as a multitude of belt materials that affect it.

I relied on a local motor shop, not a retailer, to fix my similar problems. Try Googling belts and pulleys and so forth :confused: Good luck.

http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm

Randal Cobb
05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
My Bad. I either missed the post about the Grizzly or skimmed over it. I just know that Steel City uses the Poly-V belts on their bandsaws as well.

Pat Germain
05-24-2008, 10:56 AM
If a link belt results in "loss of torque" it means it's slipping. I run a link belt on my contractor saw and it cuts better because the motor isn't bouncing; which would cause slipping.

Many, many people report very good results with link belts. If you don't like them, that's cool. I think they're great where applicable.