PDA

View Full Version : Craftsmans 103.22181 Tablesaw

Kris Walker
05-23-2008, 2:59 PM
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around here for a few months but this is my first post. I was given this tablesaw by my grandfather and have been working on getting it setup. The saw is a 9" model and I'm not to sure I will be able to find blades to fit it. I bought a Delta T2 30" fence to install on it but now I am starting to wonder if it is worth effort. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kris

Scott Loven
05-23-2008, 3:11 PM
There are blades (http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-Circular-Saw-Blade-9/dp/B0002YU0SG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1211569486&sr=1-7) available for it. I just did a quick search so I am sure you could find a better price else ware. I have a 30+ year old sears table saw that my Grandfather gave me that I wouldn't give up for the world. It reminds me of him every time I use it. Put the fence on, you can always move it to another saw. I put a delta fence on mine.
Scott

Anthony Whitesell
05-23-2008, 3:35 PM
Is that a Craftsman King-Seeley saw?

Freud makes a few (2 or 3) 9" blades for my 103.20000 saw, but I've yet to buy one, I just use the 8 1/4" or 8 1/2" blades.

scott spencer
05-23-2008, 4:25 PM
Amazon has several 9" blades....7-1/4" thru 8-1/2" will do in a pinch too. Right now Amazon has the Forrest 9" 60T WWI on sale for ~ $50 shipped.

Kris Walker
05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I believe it is a King-Seeley saw. Thanks for the responses, now I just have to get the fence installed and build an extension table.

Steve Flavin001
05-24-2008, 1:02 AM
USE 8" blades.

"Known as the Craftsman "80" 8-inch Tilting-Arbor Bench Saw, this Craftsman Model 103.22160 8" Tilting Arbor Table Saw was made by the King Seeley Corp. under the Sears Brand. It dates back to approximately 1952 or 1953. This saw featured what Craftsman called the "Floating Drive." This "floating drive" was featured in Craftsman catalogs as being a new type of motor mount that stops transmission of motor vibration because there was no mechancial connection. The motor was mounted on a special support on the bench behind the saw. This resulted in smoother operation, easier tilting, and greater protection of motor from sawdust. This floating motor mount automatically controls the belt tension for the most efficient operation.

Notice that there is only one hand wheel while most tiling arbor saws had separate hand wheels for tilting the blade and for adjusting the blade height. This saw had one wheel that controlled both the angle and depth of cut from the front of the saw.

It was also one of the first Craftsman saws to feature a rip fence with one lever that locked both the front and back of the fence. The saw features a large 20" deep by 17" wide cast iron table that was grooved on both sides for a miter gauge.

The rip fence was made of tempered aluminum which was carefully ground...,.,"

Steve Flavin001
05-24-2008, 1:05 AM
photo :rolleyes:

Steven Hardy
05-24-2008, 1:56 AM
Hello everyone. I've been lurking around here for a few months but this is my first post. I was given this tablesaw by my grandfather and have been working on getting it setup. The saw is a 9" model and I'm not to sure I will be able to find blades to fit it. I bought a Delta T2 30" fence to install on it but now I am starting to wonder if it is worth effort. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kris
Definately a keeper. Even if you someday get a bigger better saw.....you could someday use it for a specialty purpose saw...(suppose you wanted a saw for oddball materials and you kept the specialty blade in it?)

Anthony Whitesell
05-24-2008, 8:03 PM
You forgot to mention the best feature of saw is that that miter slots are not the "Craftsman Special Undersized Miter Slots". Those saws like mine have standard size miter slots and are not the undersized ones of todays models.