PDA

View Full Version : Countertop advice

John Padgett
05-23-2008, 1:38 PM
Hello. My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen, and having trouble with the backsplashes, due to the tight area between the upper cabinets and the counter top. She suggested we lay the laminate in smaller pieces, instead of on large piece. I have always put it down in large pieces. Will we have problems later with the pieced together laminate? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John.
http://www.carolinacraftworks.com/kitchen.jpg

http://www.carolinacraftworks.com/kitchen2.jpg

Matt Meiser
05-23-2008, 2:05 PM
John, in a recent thread I started about laminate counters, the suggestion was to minimize seams as much as possible. In my kitchen that means we are going to be using some 5'x8' and 5'x12' pieces.

Tom Godley
05-23-2008, 3:27 PM
I have used laminate on the walls behind the counters in a few kitchens -- I normally think it works out better to still have a black-splash installed on the counter top section, as I do not like the metal transition that normally is used when the top goes right into the wall. I also have used the same color product for both.

I would caution you about the seams - you really want to minimize them. Even on a new surface it can be difficult to get them perfect -- and they need to be perfect or you will see them. No wall is as flat as the particle board that the countertop will be installed on.

I have always used large sections making sure no seams are near the stove or sink -- areas that get wiped off a lot. Also, avoid a seam at the corner of a window even though it may be tempting because of the smaller size.

It looks as if the condition of your wall my create some problems with the glue -- especially if you can not get the product behind the upper and lower cabinets. I also install the trim of a window so the laminate is under the trim.

If the cabinets can not be moved enough for the laminate to be slipped behind a little you may be better of going with something else. IMO

Doug Rogers
05-24-2008, 1:31 PM
Ceramic or glass tile. It is easy to install, looks great, wears well! we used that for the backsplashes in our bathroom and the kitchen.

Doug Rogers

Jim O'Dell
05-24-2008, 3:00 PM
If you use the laminate for the backsplash, I'd install the counter top first, then fit the backspalsh's base material...get it where you can get it in without too much difficulty and still get it back out. Then glue your laminate to it trim with a router and flush trim bit, and install. I'd also try to put the bottom edge in first on a bead of silicone caulk, then press the top edge into place. Jim.

Matt Ocel
05-24-2008, 7:36 PM
John -

Are you sure you meant "tight area between the uppers and counter top"?
Or do you mean tight area between sink opening and backsplash?

David Cramer
05-24-2008, 8:29 PM
As Jim said, definitely install the countertop first. The backsplash goes on 2nd, or last.

Sorry, but like Matt, I am not quite sure as to your question John. Do you mean that you are making a full backsplash and are trying to minimize seams there? Or do you mean the tightness of the back of the sink to the backsplash? Sorry, but I am not truely sure of the question.

If you are making a full backsplash, which I just happened to have did and installed today, you need to make a template. The one I did was 117" long and about 18 inches in height. There were no seems anywhere, as there shouldn't be.

My method is a method used by many. I cut a sheet of luan into 2 inch strips and make a frame on the wall. The frame follows the entire outside circumference and I nail the horizontal pieces in place with finish nails (just tapped in far enough to hold them in place). All of the vertical pieces are then hotmelt glued to the horizontal pieces. For instance; there are 2 vertical pieces that go up and down next to each outlet or switch. Then 2 very small horizontal peices are hotmelt glued to form the bottom and top of the electrical box.

Now when you are done with the frame, you just take it off and lay it on a piece of 3/4 inch particle board, trace the shape and then cut to the lines. Before glueing it up, lay the board up on the wall and make sure it fits fairly tight, but with a little wiggle room for caulk. Don't worry about a 1/4 inch gap at the top, no one sees up there and you can always put a piece of molding if you really want to get anal, like me:D.

Sorry, I have looked for a picture and can't find one. If I do, I will gladly post it. Good luck and I hope I have helped in some way.

David

p.s. Like Doug, I also like tile backsplashes too and they have come a long way since the old white 4 by 4's. Just something to think about.