PDA

View Full Version : Dummy Here! Please advise molding knives

Charlie T. Bear
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a Bridge wood Molder its similar to the shop fox. It has bolt holes for the knives. The guy that sold me the molder gave me some knives with it. I didnt see them all at first but when I got home I noticed that some of the knives are corrugated back only no bolt holes.
I dont see any jibbs or anything else to hold these on??? What am I missing here? Can I use these? Am I missing a part to hold the knives in place?:confused::confused:

David DeCristoforo
05-23-2008, 1:37 PM
" Am I missing a part...?"

Nope. You need the holes. The knives you got are not for the shop Fox. You may be able to get the mounting holes drilled but it might cost as much as the "correct" knife sets. The knives you have are for a different type of cutter head.

Charlie T. Bear
05-23-2008, 4:42 PM
I figured that, Damm it now I gotta order some.

Thanks

Don Abele
05-23-2008, 5:21 PM
Charlie, knives that a corrugated in the back with no bolt holes are often used for molding heads for shapers. At the recent New England Woodworkers Expo there was a custom knife company selling lots of knives for really cheap. Most were custom orders that were not picked up. Most of the knives were as you described. I asked if they could be modified, he said no way. Sell them on CL or eBay and use the proceeds to get new knives.

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
05-23-2008, 6:10 PM
I run 1/4" corrugated knives. What profile are they?

Charlie T. Bear
05-24-2008, 7:58 AM
Its a 2 1/4 casing knife I have a pair. they were the only casing knives in the box and also the only corrugated.

I have seen the molder heads you mentioned. But now I have a shaper and a moulder and the molder is so sweet. I ran out 300 feet of base in nothin flat all from #2 pine that I bought for 45 cents a bd ft. Came out sweet. I should bought one of these years ago!:D