PDA

View Full Version : Knight Dovetail Plane

Pedro Reyes
05-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Just gloating...

I recently pulled the trigger and ordered a dovetail plane from Steve. I know that some people think these planes are not essential or overpriced and so on. But I really appreciate Steve's attitude towards sharing his knowledge, and I also like to support the small "local" business.

I have heard nothing but great things about Steve's planes and I expect no less from this "specialty plane". If anyone has any feedback on this particular plane I would appreciate it.

I will try and share pictures and opinions once I get to use it. So far the brief experience has been good, dealing with Steve. I am in no rush to get it, so don't expect anything quick.

just wanted to share.

/p

Frank Drew
05-23-2008, 1:17 PM
Pedro,

I'm not familiar with those planes but in general I'm all for supporting artisans, at whatever they do. I'm very encouraged by the current renaissance in hand toolmaking. I can't afford a Hotley plane (just one example), and don't currently do work that would benefit from using one, but I'd sure like to hold one for a while. I so admire craft when done at that level.

Joe Cunningham
05-23-2008, 2:00 PM
Let us know how well it works. I am considering ordering a dado plane.

Allan Brown
05-23-2008, 4:06 PM
I purchased a scrub plane and a panel raising plane from Steve about 9 months ago, and have nothing but good things to say. I'll buy from him again as soon as the need arises...
Allan

Pedro Reyes
05-23-2008, 4:20 PM
I purchased a scrub plane and a panel raising plane from Steve about 9 months ago, and have nothing but good things to say. I'll buy from him again as soon as the need arises...
Allan

Glad you posted this, I was thinking that once I feel like I deserve another plane, it would be the panel raiser. Does it come with a 'nicker' or any means of slicing the cross grain ahead of the cutter?

/p

Allan Brown
05-23-2008, 4:41 PM
Yes, it does come with a nicker. The nice thing is that Steve can really customize the plane to include the features you want...from handle type/shape to body material. Really a nice guy to deal with...and he knows his stuff. I caught him at a time when he was changing over some of his tools, and it took a couple of months to get both planes; but it was worth the wait.