PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's" - Memorial Day Edition

Karl Laustrup
05-23-2008, 6:42 AM
Friday May 23rd, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

This marks the official beginning of the summer season here in the "Dells" and the weather is co-operating. Supposed to be in the 70's all weekend with a thunder storm possible on Sunday afternoon.

I don't have much planned for the weekend, but I'm sure we'll be grilling something at some point. Of course there are a couple of races to watch Sunday. In between, maybe I'll get some more cleanup done in the shop/garage. Our grand daughter is marching with the band in the parade on Monday. Don't think I'll make it with my foot though. Foot doctor today to see what else he has in mind.

What's up in your neck of the woods? Anyone traveling for the long weekend? Or just staying home and saving some gas?

Please take a moment to remember our service men and women, past and present, for their sacrifice in helping to make this weekend possible.

Have a great weekend and please be SAFE.

Karl

John Keeton
05-23-2008, 7:17 AM
Good Morning Karl!!

Chance of a stray shower or TS today, but the rest of the holiday looks great. Taking the day off today, will check in at the office to confirm that the world, in fact, does just fine without me. Going to continue the rearranging in the shop and begin work on a miter saw station. Organizing the thousands of screws, nuts, bolts, nails, etc. that I have ended up with over the years of hording and auction "box and contents." The auctions in earlier years were addictive, and I ended up with stuff that no one else had used and died with. Now I am not using it and looks like it will be here when I die unless I clean up!!

Will do some more honey do projects, help clean the outside of our windows as they are hard to reach. Do some mowing with the Massey. Clean up the barn a bit and set the trap for my annual invasion of groundhogs in the barn - and will grill something during the weekend!

As you say, we will take at least a few moments and remember the sacrifices of many that made this country great - and stay home in protest of the albatross of oil dependency that is killing our economy.

Hope all have a safe weekend!

Rich Engelhardt
05-23-2008, 7:33 AM
Hello,
@ some point over the next three days, I've vowed to put together my Ridgid TS that's been sitting in the garage for nearly a month.
Ditto the DeWalt CMS - that's been sitting beside it for nearly 6 months.
Ditto - ditto the DeWalt 734 planer - which has been sitting in the dining room since last August.

I figured out that between May 2nd and May 18th, between working on the rental and work, I'd put in over 300 hours - including 3 straight ~21 hours days. (2:30am till ~ 11:00pm).
I need a break bad.
I found myself looking at a dead fly on the window sill @ the rental when I was putting in a new mini blind - and thinking to myself how lucky it was.:rolleyes:. It looked so peaceful, I was envious. No way, no how would anyone let me get away with just laying around like that ;).

Sunday - I plan to get medieval on a 30 pack and some Brat's & Vidallia's & burgers and dogs.:D
My plan is to resurrect the old and respected past time known as "quaffing and debauchery" :D

Guy Germaine
05-23-2008, 8:17 AM
We have a dog show this weekend, so we'll be out of town Saturday and Sunday. Probably get a little shop time on Monday (that is, until my Social Activities Director changes that :rolleyes:)

TRYING to get the second plantation shutter put together. Seems like I keep getting re-directed! Had an Obedience Trial last weekend, dog show this weekend, and next weekend, then we'll start water rescue training again.

Glenn Clabo
05-23-2008, 8:19 AM
Here's the plan...the good Dr and I are over cooked from this work thing so we are going to do NOTHING!

Well...actually we are going to clean the yard...read a book...ride the bikes...sit by the ocean...cook a steak...drink a few...and sleep as much as we can.

Matt Meiser
05-23-2008, 8:25 AM
Lots of yard work. We need to get LOMLjr's garden planted, plus we are planting some corn in the back 40 for the deer. If the place I buy my mulch is open I need to pick up a couple trailer loads and get it put down. And LOML will probably want some help planting.

In the shop, I plan to work on my workbench.

Al Willits
05-23-2008, 8:30 AM
"""""""
Please take a moment to remember our service men and women, past and present, for their sacrifice in helping to make this weekend possible
""""""

You got it Karl, wife works at the local VA credit union so we have the vets in mind all year long, funny how we can spend millions on aid to foregn countries but we have vets that can't make it.

This weekend we're gonna finally try and make that recipe you sent me Karl, doing that and lettuce wraps, ought to be interesting.. :)

Finally got the TV cabinet done and will try to get that into the house, I have a bunch of apple wood given to me and I need to cut up for smoking and then clean the garage again.

And we'll prob get out for a bit of golf and hopefully get the new boat on the water for a day if all goes well.

You all have a safe and well weekend, and if you see vets in a resturant or bar, buy them a round and says Thanks, it'll put a smile on their face, and yours.

Al

Jeff Clow
05-23-2008, 8:33 AM
I'll be picking up all the tree parts that the tornado blew all over my yard this week. Luckily no damage.

Greg Cole
05-23-2008, 8:45 AM
I will be working on the fence I started last weekend. With all the grunt work with a manual post hole digger & mixing-pouring the ceeement done last weekend I framed everything during the week this week.
Just started hanging pickets last night to give LOML a look at what it'll look like when done. Can't WAIT to get it done & not have to worry about my little dog meeting a car again.
MIL is also coming to town this weekend, her first trip to see us in 9 years since we moved to Kansas City so LOML is pretty excited (shows excitement in an odd fashion by cleaning all week?)
Weather permitting I might even spend a little time lazing around in the pool......

Cheers. Be well & definately tip your hat to anyone who's served this country of ours!

Greg

Mike Wilkins
05-23-2008, 8:59 AM
Not going to stray far from home this weekend. Temps in the high 70's/low 80's. Got to do some minor repairs on the house trim/fascia in preparation for the roofers coming next week.
Planned to do the roof myself to save $$$. But my knees and back had a conference call with my brain, and together they decided it was not a good idea. Smart guys.
Time to fire up the grill.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2008, 9:10 AM
Tonight we baby sit little Riley, now that she's recovered from pink eye!

It'll be interesting. My Granddaughter has started working at a day-care center and so little Riley is going to "school" with Mom. Great-Grandma is going to pick little Riley up at "school". Little Riley fusses with her Mom when she leaves school and at 22 months she's become attached to ne Mom.....So Great-Grandma is going take her away from school and from her Mom. This could make for an interesting evening.

This weekend.....once little Riley leaves....the weekly yardwork....plant 1 rose-tree and hang my first wall cabinet in the shop. Probably will get a 2nd on made and hung now that I've got the process and tools worked out.

Maybe a little NASCAR.

Jim Becker
05-23-2008, 9:24 AM
Well, busy weekend for me. Lawn mowing, painting some trim work, pre-finishing some other trim and then getting that up, the karate run to the YMCA, moving more stuff around in the house, helping 'Creeker Joanne Adler hang her Gorilla Sunday morning, a picnic with friends here on Sunday afternoon and who knows what else...{edit} oh, yea...I need to deal with some communication cable terminations this weekend as we're giving Comcast the boot and getting DirectTV next weekend.

And for once, we're going to have about 4 days in a row with nice weather. I'm tired of the rain and too-cool temps!

Craig McCormick
05-23-2008, 9:27 AM
We were headed to our cabin, but the temps have dropped and it will be too cold for Jill and I.

I hope to get some shelves set up in the shop so I can get more boxes unpacked and off the floor so it is easier to move around in there.

Also need to finish the tile on the steps into our sunken living room.

Be safe,

Craig

Jared Minor
05-23-2008, 9:34 AM
I don't have the three day weekend, as I am a school teacher. However, in 6 days counting today I will have about 2 1/2 months off. This weekend we are going to buy the LOML a new sewing machine. She really likes to sew and has been using an old hand me down that needs to be put out of its misery. That will pretty much eat up the power tool budget for the summer. Going to try and catch up on yard work and siding our storage shed. Temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 90's from now until November so spring is gone and hello summer.

Greg Hines, MD
05-23-2008, 9:40 AM
The only definite plans we have involve the dark room and big screen for Indiana Jones, of course.

Doc

Jim Becker
05-23-2008, 9:47 AM
This weekend we are going to buy the LOML a new sewing machine. She really likes to sew and has been using an old hand me down that needs to be put out of its misery. That will pretty much eat up the power tool budget for the summer. .

But it does add some nice woodworking projects to your "list"...some one who sews needs appropriate work surfaces and storage! :)

J. Z. Guest
05-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Tomorrow, I'm leading what will probably turn out to be a 500+ mile sport-touring motorcycle ride. (http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,25435.0.html) I'm hoping that most of the holiday traffic will hit the road tonight and return Monday.

Sunday, I may work on the nightstand or I may go to the Chicago Open Chess tournament. (no, I'm not that good, probably around 1200 rating. Kasparov and Fischer were in the 2700 area)

Monday, maybe another ride from STn or maybe nightstand work. Maybe meet up with a buddy for an outdoor chess game.

Jared Minor
05-23-2008, 1:11 PM
But it does add some nice woodworking projects to your "list"...some one who sews needs appropriate work surfaces and storage! :)

I like the way you think! May try to persuade a little shop time for the new machine.

Don Orr
05-23-2008, 2:30 PM
On Saturday I will be going back to help build the Onrust as a volunteer. It's a Dutch ship being built locally. More info at www.theonrust.com (http://www.theonrust.com) . Lots of fun but hard work. We'll hang out by a campfire in the backyard in the evening with some friends.

Some yard work, shop cleanup, maybe plant some trees. Not too much really planned though.

Steven Wilson
05-23-2008, 3:14 PM
Well, since it's going to be a nice weekend I'm packing up the wife and kids and go visit my parents, grandparents, three uncles, and an aunt. Unfortunately they're all dead but their grave sites are in some very pretty country (SE Minnesota, NE Iowa). My grandparents grave site is right next to a very fine trout stream so I'm taking my fly rod and plan on spending some quality time fishing while I visit with my relatives.

Bob Glenn
05-23-2008, 4:04 PM
I'll be making Windsor Chairs at the annual Vincennes Rendezvous, an eighteen century re-enactment. The weather's going to be great and we are expecting about 30,000 people to join the 1000 re-enactors.

I'm setting up my bench, shaving horse and spring pole lathe tonight along with three completed chairs and one in progress.

Come down and see us in Vincennes, Indiana on Saturday or Sunday.

I'll be the guy in the knee breeches and waistcoat, pumping the lathe. :D

Jude Tuliszewski
05-23-2008, 5:19 PM
Not going any place, except maybe local park. Plan on cleaning/straightening out the shop and hopefully get some wood time. Will be firing up the grill and giving praise to all our fallen heroes. So tip yer hat or beer or glass or just give thanks for those who have given the ultimate in the support of our country.

SEMPER FI

Jim O'Dell
05-23-2008, 8:46 PM
My plan, note I said plan, is to finish both the outfeed table and the extension table. I have all the screw holes filled in on the outfeed table. I need to finish sanding, then paint the bottom and sides. Before I paint, I'll fill the holes in the extension table so that I can do laminate while the paint dries. Then maybe Sunday I can get them mounted. I do have to trace down a dead circuit in the house. Breaker popped and just buzzes and pops if reset. It's a double half breaker, so I'll turn power off and swap leads and see if it is the breaker or the circuit. If it's the breaker, I may have fun finding it local on a weekend. It's a Siemens or i-t-e breaker. Ace has them online, but not at the local store. My fear is I've got ants that are shorting a box out. This circuit could power one or more outside boxes. Could be fun! Also the toilet in the MB is on the fritz. Already have the repair parts for that.
Oh, and Monday is a normal work day for me. Stinks, but that is the automotive industry. :( Jim.

Peter Quinn
05-23-2008, 9:47 PM
Poured a 500SF slab yesterday, tail end of a basement excavation/shop expansion, so R&R is the only plan on the agenda. My mind is busy trying to decide how to configure the new space, but my hands need to rest while the slab cures, and the whole shop is squeezed into a small area I don't want to deal with until next week. Other than beer, brauts, and a parade on Monday to honor our vets, not much planned. Seems the only wood I will be handling this weekend will be a tooth pick in an hors d'oeuvre.

Dewey Torres
05-24-2008, 1:57 AM
I will be trying to put together all of my recent GLOATS. I have 4 total... none of which have been posted yet. I will have lots of pics and threads to share soon. Oh and some major shop re-org.

A special thanks to all here who take the time to recognize Memorial Day. As some may know this is the NEW name for Decoration Day. Below is some Memorial Day history:

In 1868, General John A. Logan, first commander of the Grand Army of the Republic issued a General Order establishing May 30 as an official memorial day to pay respect to all those who had died, in war or peace.
On May 5, 1868, Logan declared in General Order No. 11 that:
The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.
During the first celebration of Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers buried in the cemetery.
As already mentioned this 1868 celebration was inspired by local observances of the day in several towns throughout America that had taken place in the three years since the Civil War. In fact, several Northern and Southern cities claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day, including Columbus, Mississippi; Macon, Georgia; Richmond, Virginia; Boalsburg, Pennsylvania; and Carbondale, Illinois.
In 1966, the federal government, under the direction of President Lyndon Johnson, declared Waterloo, New York, the official birthplace of Memorial Day. They chose Waterloo—which had first celebrated the day on May 5, 1866—because the town had made Memorial Day an annual, community-wide event during which businesses closed and residents decorated the graves of soldiers with flowers and flags.
By the late 1800s, many communities across the country had begun to celebrate Memorial Day and, after World War I, observances also began to honor those who had died in all of America's wars. In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday to be celebrated the last Monday in May. (Veterans Day, a day set aside to honor all veterans, living and dead, is celebrated each year on November 11.)
Today, Memorial Day is celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave. Also, it is customary for the president or vice-president to give a speech honoring the contributions of the dead and lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. About 5,000 people attend the ceremony annually.
Several Southern states continue to set aside a special day for honoring the Confederate dead, which is usually called Confederate Memorial Day:

Mississippi: Last Monday in April
Alabama: Fourth Monday in April
Georgia: April 26
North Carolina: May 10
South Carolina: May 10
Louisiana: June 3
Tennessee (Confederate Decoration Day): June 3
Texas (Confederate Heroes Day): January 19
Virginia: Last Monday in May

CTTCS(SW) Dewey Torres, USN

Matt Ocel
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm finally going to clean and clear off 'ALL' horizantal surfaces in the workshop.
Then, and here's the big one - Finish assembley and make sawdust with my Incra LS positioner and wonder fence.

What you guys and gals doin?

Gotta go clean - Enjoy your weekend everybody!!!

Pat Germain
05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm actually starting to make progress on my workbench again. I'll post more pics over in the projects forum to see if there's any interest.

I'm hoping Dewey shares his weekend tool gloat. Yesterday I helped him load up a newly acquired machine. It was quite the adventure since the place where we picked it up was on "Fantasy Island". That guy had a shop to make any woodworker cry!

Gary Lange
05-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I am in the process of designing a wall cabinet for my workshop and may start building it this weekend since even though the Smallmouths are hitting good on Table Rock Lake I am not going near it on Memorial Day weekend. Should be a fun build and I have it pretty well thought out I hope. We shall see what happens by the end of the weekend.

Craig D Peltier
05-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Im not wroking much. Currently im working on a 20 foot sapele built in with mantle. All joinery is cut and plywood to size. Have to assemble now. Pics will follow in a couple of weeks.
I think today will be only day of sun so im going to enjoy it.

Dewey Torres
05-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey Matt/ All,
Karl Laustrup has a thread that he starts every week called Weekend Doin's. Here is the thread for this week:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84876

Dewey

Matt Ocel
05-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Dewey -
Is that under General woodworking and power tools?

Never mind - just found it

Jim Knight
05-24-2008, 1:04 PM
The chess tournament got canceled but, I have a new workbench as of two days ago. I also have a thesis to work on but I think I may need to commune with two half finished maple bowls in order to attack that thesis.

Nice to read the list and see everyone's projects.

Rob Mathis
05-24-2008, 7:58 PM
LOML & I painted the bathroom & trimmed out the hallway. Tomorrow might involve more veneer in the kitchen. I have maple on order for the doors & Drawers but that has not shipped yet.

Lee Koepke
05-24-2008, 8:14 PM
Played golf with some buddies. First time in YEARS. I am not much better, but it WAS fun.

I also should finish a cutting board I was trying to make.

Earl Reid
05-24-2008, 8:38 PM
They are building the longest covered bridge in the US about 3 miles from our house, I planning to go see the progress that has been made the past 2 months. We also will go to our home town (Montville O) for Memorial day.
There won't be any shop time for several weeks or much else. ( heart Problems)
Earl:)

Barry Reade
05-24-2008, 8:39 PM
Today was a slow day. I painted the master bedroom and master closet doors, remounted the hardware and rehung them. I had to do some creative work to get the latch to work on the closet door. Now tomorrow will be much busier.

Don Bergren
05-24-2008, 8:52 PM
I'm planning to get my Sliding Module Extrusions, rip fence, and add-ons installed on my Power Bench Bridge table (a Eurekazone design) this weekend. At least that is my goal.

Sunday will be a mid afternoon lunch/dinner at a restaurant my mom loves to go to. I'll load the folks in my van and we'll drive up the coast the 15 miles to mom's favorite seasonal restaurant. After that I hope to work on the Power Bench some more.

Monday will be a day of trying to finish the things I didn't get done on Saturday and Sunday. Knowing how slowly I work, I suspect the Power Bench won't be completed this weekend, but perhaps I'll surprise myself.

For me Memorial Day weekend is more of a time to reflect and relax, rather than worry about working at a frantic pace.

Rob Will
05-24-2008, 9:47 PM
Planting soybeans.

Rob

Jeff Miller
05-24-2008, 9:59 PM
Side dressing corn :D

Jeff;)

Nancy Laird
05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Today I finished a 250-piece laser order for furniture plates. Tomorrow? Unfortunately, I have to go to a funeral--for a 9-year-old boy who died this week of brain cancer. I'm not going to enjoy the day.

Monday, since LOML is in Minneapolis, I'm just going to veg out at home--may take a short ride down the street to the parade and vet's ceremony at our memorial. I have a lot of vets in my ancestry to remember.

Jack Camillo
05-25-2008, 7:27 AM
Began a 9x27 attached pergola over deck on Saturday. It'll be in western red cedar. Hand dug the holes and set the posts yesterday. Unfortunately had to special order the stainless lag screws, so can't go much further after I cut the boards. Pics later.