PDA

View Full Version : Lumber

Rick Dohm
05-22-2008, 8:58 PM
I know this is a well-worn topic, but the 2x cedar on my 20 year old deck has given up the ghost. The PT joists underneath are still good, though. I thought about ipe for a new floor, but also came across black locust. Any thoughts about the relative merits for this use? Since I haven't ever seen either of them, do they look like any of the more common species? How do they take a finish? Is any particular finish preferred? Finally, any ideas on where I can find either product close to Madison?

Thanks in advance.

Rick Dohm

John Eaton
05-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Black Locust is a domestic wood that in the old days was perferred as posting material for fences - it's extremely weather hardy. Most these days is cut up for firewood as the tree isn't very straight, so the yield isn't what you see for other species. If there's a local farmers paper or online group that will probably be your best bet to find some as I've never seen it offered (at least in local ATL mills).

Ipe is relatively available and super hard, but fairly expensive. It's often referred to as ironwood for it's hardness and density, and actually sinks in water. This stuff is pretty indestructable and bugs don't like it, but expensive and due to it's hardness everything has to be pre-drilled and screwed together. Add in some extra time for assembly.

-- John

John Lucas
05-23-2008, 11:19 AM
rick ,

[url]www.timbergrowers./[url]

located in Spring Green , Wi. near Madsison

Jim can give you excellent info and put you in contact with a reputable source for balck locust.

URL doesnt work as written; add a "com" to the end. This will work: www.timbergrowers.com

Interesting place.

Peter Quinn
05-23-2008, 2:47 PM
Black locust weathers well, but is subject to some sort of root borrer or other such problem in the US and rarely grows to a size that makes it commercially feasible any more. I hear it has been introduced to Europe successfully and certain countries are growing it to use in place of pressure treat. In New England its used for fence posts, in fact my neighbors fence which faces me is black locust. The 6X8 mud sill on my house is black locust too, and I know of a local mill that carries limited quantities of it in a common grade for sill repair, but have never seen 5/4 deck boards milled from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_locust

IPE is tough! And tough to work with. It ages naturally to a color I like to call ELEPHANT BUTT GREY, so I prefer it with a clear brownish deck stain like Sikkens. Could be the last deck you ever install (or want to)!

Rick Dohm
05-27-2008, 8:59 PM
Thanks for your responses. I was actually able to find Ipe at my local lumber yard (not a Borg) at about $3.75/lf. Black locust doesn't seem to be available anywhere, but another local woodworker and custom millwork supply house is trying to find some. However, my lumber yard also sells a product called Garapa. The claim is that it is as good as Ipe (which is a walnut-like color), is similarly difficult to work with, is very yellow in color and is only about $2.00/lf. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with that species in outdoor applications. Recommended finish (if any) is an oil product (rather than a stain) with all cut ends to be sealed. If not finished, it weathers to a "nice silvery gray" -- probably like everything else. Don't know yet if those prices are high, low or in between.

Waddaya think?

Rick