PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sanders: Delta 31-260X vs. Jet Performax Plus 16-32

John Pennisi
05-22-2008, 7:03 PM
I have been scouring the internet for reviews on both these drum sanders, as I've narrowed my choice down to two! There is a Delta 31-255X on sale locally for about $830 but I've read that the open stand design leaves it open to vibrate; I really like the closed steel stand/cabinet on the new 31-260X. Even though the Performax Plus 16-32 has an open stand, I haven't read as much about vibration and it seems to be generally popular and well-reviewed. I did hear something from a tool dealer that the thread may strip with repeated raising/lowering in the long term.

Best prices I've seen on the two are $940 (Amazon) on the Performax Plus and $1000 (Amazon) on the Delta 31-260X. Frustratingly the Performax was $850 on Amazon just two days ago, but no longer! Any idea how long this might last, or for what reason it jumped up?

Any information is appreciated particularly from those of you who own either. The Delta 31-260X only became available in March as I understand so it is more difficult to find reviews. The mobile base and infeed/outfeed seem to be must haves, particularly since I'll be moving it around I'm sure and will be using longer boards from time to time. Too bad these additions usually total an extra $250! A package deal would be nice.. is it too much to ask for these to come standard!!??

I look forward to any and all input...

Dewey Torres
05-22-2008, 7:37 PM
http://www.tools-plus.com/woodworking-machinery-drum-sanders.html

Jet and performaX for this model are the same. Add the 16 x 32 to your cart and you will see it for 839.00 (+ $6.50 shipping) to a loading dock in your town. They will help you load it in your truck. I just bought one and got it yesterday.
Dewey

Bob Aquino
05-22-2008, 8:48 PM
I was looking for about a year and finally got an older delta sander last year around December. My brother brought it down from NJ with him, cost 400 and came with 4 rolls of paper in various grits. Used it for one job and was pretty happy with the results. If you can hold out for a used machine, you will probably save about half.

Robin Cruz
05-23-2008, 1:10 AM
Laguna Tools has their 16/32 for $595. Comes with table extensions, 4" dust port and stand with locking wheels. That makes it 400-500 less the performex. www.lagunatools.com

Guy Germaine
05-23-2008, 5:22 AM
If I'm not mistaken, both the Delta and the Laguna will only sand down to 1/8". That's not a real problem unless you want to sand shop-sawn veneers. (You could always make a sled, but that doesn't interest me) The Jet/Performax will sand down to 1/16 or 3/32, I forget. I have one on my wish list, and it will be the Performax.

Andrew Duncan
05-23-2008, 8:38 AM
I recently got the Delta 31-260x. Everything was well adjusted from the factory and the unit works quite well. Some 3/32" veneer I cut went through with no issues and was dead flat. There is no vibration. I bought some casters with 5/16" bolt stems that fit into where the leg levelers go for mobility. The Tool Nut price for the 31-260X during his recent sale, along with the Delta rebate, brought my purchase price to close to the 255X sale price you mentioned. As to comparisons with the 16-32 in its various iterations, I don't know as I haven't owned any of those machines. But as noted, the Delta is fine out of the box. Yet to see how it is over time.

Brad Townsend
05-23-2008, 8:58 AM
I've got a Performax 16/32 and am very happy with it, though I would probably be happy with the Delta as well.

The one observation you posted, from the guy that said the threads would strip with repeated raising/lowering, got my attention. That is horsefeathers. I believe that in normal use, there are many parts of the machine that would wear out long before those threads will, and that will be many years down the line.

Stephen Edwards
05-23-2008, 9:00 AM
I bought a used Performax 16-32 and have been very pleased with the performance, so far. Mine doesn't have the extension tables. However, I've sanded 7' boards with it and experienced no snipe at all. I imagine that with much longer boards the tables or some sort of shop made extra support would be necessary.

Mine came with casters. As someone else mentioned you can order good double locking casters much cheaper than than the ones that are sold with/for the machine.

I don't know anything about the Delta but have read lots of reviews from not so happy customers on the predecessor to the currently offered machine.

John Pennisi
05-23-2008, 9:05 AM
The Laguna definitely interests me, but I am skeptical of the price and quality. I'm also not sure about the 1 hp motor, as opposed to the 1 1/2--1 3/4 of most others in this category.

Andrew, where did you buy your casters and for how much, if you don't mind my asking. Also, how did you come to decide on the 260x as opposed to others?

Robin Cruz
05-23-2008, 1:12 PM
Fine Woodworking magazine gave the Laguna Drum sander an excellent review.....see....http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5967&tab=_editor

just a thought.......TEFC motors are very standard and easy to purchase for around $75 for 1.5 HP. If one tried the Laguna and was unhappy with the motor, a larger HP one could be purchased and you will still be ahead $300-400 dollars

Andrew Duncan
05-23-2008, 1:30 PM
Andrew, where did you buy your casters and for how much, if you don't mind my asking. Also, how did you come to decide on the 260x as opposed to others?[/QUOTE]

I bought the casters at this link for around $30 including shipping at Mappcaster.com. If you do this be careful when raising the unit up from its side; you need to support the bottom so you don't bend the threaded stems. The threads didn't quite match the Delta socket, but they went in fine. I picked the delta because I liked the idea of the table moving rather than the head, the slightly larger capacity over the competition and the good deal at Tool Nut.

John Pennisi
05-23-2008, 9:14 PM
I bought the Jet 16-32 today and am very happy with what I've seen so far. The packaging was very well done, the instructions were clear and assembly went without a hitch. The conveyor belt was a bit difficult to get the tracking right and kept pulling to one side, even with the tweaks suggested in the manual. Persistence has paid off however, with it finally staying put in the center. My feeling is that the belt actually needs to get broken in and does stretch a bit as you tweak it, which is not really accounted for in the manual.

Initial impressions of the performance are good. After adjusting the sanding drum just a bit, which is fairly easy to do, it sands uniformly and smoothly. One thing I worried about was the rigidity of the sanding drum given that its open ended, but it seems extremely solid. The stand, although open, seems very stable as well. In my opinion many of the pictures online imply that it is much less stable than it seems in person. There is little to no vibration when it is running, and it is quiet as well. There is steel and cast-iron throughout.

My decision to go with the Jet was in part due to the high praise in many different reviews and forums online and here at the Creek. The Delta 31-260X may have been a good choice as well, but I don't need the extra weight and bulkiness that it brings, and I want something that will have the capability of sanding less than 1/8" thick, which the Jet seems capable of. The Laguna made a late charge as well in my decision, but the $250 shipping to New Hampshire made it impractical. I had a hunch about the Jet all along, and I'm hoping my initial impressions translate into prolonged satisfaction. It will be great to have this machine in my shop, particularly with my interest in making end grain cutting boards. Very excited about its potential applications...

Thanks to all who posted!