PDA

View Full Version : photoshop/elemements & photograve

Sylvia Mossbrucker
05-22-2008, 6:21 PM
Hey everyone!!

I am a new user for both photoshop elements and photograve but I am running into an issue with deleting background from photographs. I am attempting to use photoshop elements and the magic wand tool to delete the background of photos however it just seems to be whiting them out and not deleting them totally. It becomes an issue when using photograve because all the photos still have a box around them when I am wanting just the silouette of the person in the photo. I was sucessfull the first time I tried this and the back ground became a checkerboard when deleting, now when trying to delete it's just white and I am unable to get the checkerboard to work again??? ANYONE KNOW WHY???

Darren Null
05-22-2008, 6:32 PM
It's possibly a layers thing. When there's just a background layer, it's locked. Don't know about elements, but in photoshop there's a dialogue

LAYER > CREATE NEW LAYER FROM BACKGROUND

...that then allows you to remove the white because it's no longer in a locked background layer.

Dee Gallo
05-22-2008, 6:52 PM
When you first start up PhotoShop, you create new document if you aren't opening up an old one. On the first step, you choose the size, etc. and at the bottom, there are check boxes for what you want for the background: black, white or transparent. This is before you save the document, even though they ask you to give it a name. This is the only place you get to choose this. If you choose nothing, you get white.

HTH, dee