PDA

View Full Version : experimental hollow form

mike fuson
05-22-2008, 5:35 PM
This is just something I made up as I went along on some boring wood. Its dyed and the walls are about 1/8. Measures 6''wide and 1 1/2 high and antique oil for the finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/blacktwo.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2008, 5:50 PM
I LIKE it !! Must have been a challenge to get those inside corners! Is the rim textured? Seriously, cool piece!

David Newson
05-22-2008, 6:26 PM
Mike I love your experimental piece its a really nice challenging hollow form, as Steve said is the rim textured !

Ben Gastfriend
05-22-2008, 8:26 PM
Mike- your experimental would be many of our's best work. The form is spectacular and the finish and dye. What was the base wood and what kinda dye did you use>?

Bill Wyko
05-22-2008, 8:29 PM
Looks like your experiment was a success. Very nice as always. Looks like Ebony.

Clara Koss
05-22-2008, 9:33 PM
This is just something I made up as I went along on some boring wood. Its dyed and the walls are about 1/8. Measures 6''wide and 1 1/2 high and antique oil for the finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/blacktwo.jpg
so very new york!!!!! love it... what are you going to do with it???:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
That is a beautiful piece for a experiment. Well done.

Scott Hubl
05-23-2008, 2:06 AM
Very nice Mike.

Love the gloss Black.

Jim Becker
05-23-2008, 9:03 AM
Successful experiment!! I really like that.

Ron Drew
05-23-2008, 9:09 AM
I like this a lot Mike. The dye looks like paint - I don't see any grain showing through. What wood did you use?

Curt Fuller
05-23-2008, 8:46 PM
The more I look at this, the more I like it. It would look good with one of these flower arranger gizmos http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Flower_Display___Flower_Arranger___flow er_arrangers?Args=
and a single orchid in it. At least I think it would.

curtis rosche
05-23-2008, 9:21 PM
awsome!, have fun with this one?

mike fuson
05-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I LIKE it !! Must have been a challenge to get those inside corners! Is the rim textured? Seriously, cool piece!

The rim was originally black also until I cut the bevel into it, and the ring was done with the parting tool, the dye soaked through pretty deep making it look textured in the pic but its not. As far as the dye brand....I think its called Artisan, really don't remember but it looks like a little jug of antifreeze. Got it from craft supply I think. The wood was holly.
Thanks for the comments.

Mitchell Cholewinski
05-24-2008, 1:13 AM
Mike
Very nice job. Congratulations on a job well done. I was going to post a picture of one I turned about a year ago for you to see, then thought better of jumping in on your thread. You wouldn't believe it how close they resemble each other. Only difference is that little rim you have around the hole, mine is flat and made from walnut and lacquered. Even the dimensions are exactly the same. Again, nice job. Mitch